antivirus signatures

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MalwareDie, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I am not sure if this si a valid post. How about you post the amount of signatures your antivirus has and then post again when av-comparatives does their february testing. We can see judge how many signatures your antivirus added and guess how well it wil do in the on demand test and the retrospective test.

2. apm

apm Registered Member

Dr.Web v4.33.2 2006-12-19 (04:33) 162428, 3.11MB

3. FRug

FRug Registered Member

signature count is pretty much irrelevant, since different vendors count signatures in a different way.

4. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Don't forget the heuristics. ;)

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

e.g. symantec keeps the number of signatures as low as they can, by adding/creating/optimizing generic signatures. Thats why they have such a low number of signatures claimed but anyway high detection rates. So, no, it is not possible to conclude how the AVs will score based on looking/analyzing the number of signatures they have or added.
    But you can anyway guess just for fun. I would for example guess this (it is only a guess, I did not test them recently and some I did never tested at all so far - it is only guessing, which means I could be totally wrong in my guess): AVK, AVIRA, TrustPort, eScan, F-Secure, KAV, Bitdefender, NOD32, Norman, Avast, Fortinet, F-Prot, McAfee, AVG, Dr.Web, Ikarus, Microsoft, VBA32.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

162486 - 12:34
    162494 - 12:36
    162496 - 13:38
    162506 - 14:27
    162517 - 14:48
    162520 - 15:09

updates are released quite frequently here with dr.web, thats for sure, but... role on version 5.

im sure you see the point anyway, also .. dr.web's schedule for updates is default every 9 minutes.

7. MalwareDie

microsoft has an antivirus?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

9. MalwareDie

For the upcoming february on demand test. ill guess the results including DOS viruses/malware.

Avira Antivir, GData AntiVirusKit (heard they recently switched engines), F-Secure, Kaspersky, NOD32, TrustPort, Norton, BitDefender, Norman Virus Control, Avast, McAfee VirusScan, F-Prot, AVG, Dr.Web, Microsoft OneCare.

Will any others be tested in February? I know VBA32 wil be done separately

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

new signatures i recieved, found an FP with my new dell laptop,

sent to dr.web, fixed in exactly 16 mins. WOWWWWWWW
    everyday, they impress me... whether its not the top rated for detection, service is top-notch.

12. MalwareDie

Ya their service is excellent

13. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Exactly, pure number of the samples says nothing about the product and its detection abilities.

Here is my classic a contrario agruing:

Imagine we have have malware family with 1000 members. You can have product A detecting this family with one generic signature which will catch also some modification and product B having 999 signatures for every single piece but one.

As for samples B beats A 999:1, but in detection A beats B by detecting 1 piece of malware more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.