AntiVirus / Security program with smallest updates?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Defcon, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I need to install an antivirus program on my parents computer. They do not have unlimited downloads so the size of signature updates is a critical factor, otherwise they will go over the limit and have to pay a lot. The other things which would be nice are -

- ease of use - set and forget without any prompts
    - good security
    - cost

I had installed Avira (AntiVir) since I am very happy with it, but the daily updates are huge (usually 3MB or more) and thus it is not acceptable. Do the other free alternatives like Avast have smaller updates? What about KAV?

I also don't want them to use a HIPS as it invariable leads to numerous prompts which the non technical user has no hope of understanding. Because of this I think a regular signature based product is the better choice, but I am willing to change my approach if its wrong.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

When it comes to update speed & lightness IMO Avast is one of the best.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I'd go with Dr Web. It has the smallest updates I've seen, the product itself is very small. Also, it is a lot cheaper that AVAST. Be ready for version 5.

4. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

You could try KAV without PDM (Many Pop-ups) or any other unnecessary module you want when installing it, also the updates are about 50 to 100 kb... hourly. :thumb:

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Avast Home is free, how much cheaper than free is Dr Web :rolleyes:

6. n8chavez

Well obviously if you are talking about AVAST HE then Dr Web is not going to be cheaper. But I prefer the pro version to the free version, and, taking that into account, Dr Web is cheaper. Then is also a very drastic difference between the resource usage of AVAST (what ever version) and Dr. Web. Dr Web is extremely light and updates of weekends, which I cannot say for very many companies.

7. vhick

vhick Registered Member

is avast is heavy on resource than dr. web?

8. n8chavez

In my experience nearly every AV, with the possible exception of KAV 6, is heavier than Dr Web. And it certainly takes up the least amount of hard drive space. Dr Web is the lightest I've seen.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have had aVira for three weeks and during that time 15 daily updates have been UNDER 200KB and many of those were under 100KB. There has been 1 at 279KB, 1 at 326KB, 1 at 402KB, 1 at 841KB, 1 at 952KB and 1 at 3.16MB which was the scanning engine upgrade.

You and I must have different aViras as I have only seen ONE large update in THREE WEEKS and that was because it was an engine upgrade.

aVira issues some of the smallest updates I've ever seen...it takes about 3 seconds to get on cable modem at 5ms down but I would use this AV on dialup. On dialup I would have suffered with the 952KB and 3.16MB but not the others.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i put antivir premium on my sister's laptop.
    its running great.
    i told it to update hourly
    run a scan weekly
    and first option repair virus second option qurantine.
    so its set and forget now.
    lodore

11. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Dr. Web updates are around 15k in size. Dr. Web is very light and well behaved. It cost $28US for one year. It cost cost $20 to renew. Dr. Web updates flawlessy several times a day. Version 5 is on the horizon, which promises even better detection, faster scanning speed and improved GUI.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  12. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

I think that you never tried NOD
    Incremental update, good security but may be a graphical user interface sometimes difficult to use

Sorry for my bad english

MaB

13. n8chavez

HA!! You've haven't been around here for very long, have you? I've used every AV there is and, with the exception of Dr Web, I have used NOD the longest (around 2 years). It is a good product. It has gotten heavier with the release of version 2.7. Also, I have had filtering issues with IMON, as have many. So, I chose to go with Dr Web. But you never know; if Dr Web drops the ball with version 5 I might revisit NOD. For know I'm in the Doctor's waiting room.

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Based on the above criteria, I would recommend Avast! Home Edition.

1. Default install is fine for most users.
    2. It has a good mixture of protection for many vectors of infection.
    3. It's free.
    4. It's updates are miniscule, and work great w/limited bandwidth.

Barring Avast!, I would go with F-PROT, based on cost, protection, and size of updates.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yayyyy a thread that DRWEB WINS!!!!!

15k ---MAX for updates, even the first update will take only take a few seconds.

perfect for dialup users, 9mb to download, 9-12mb needed on your harddrive.

thats it :D

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lets hope version 5 doesnt get heaver and just has a nicer gui and keeps it geood points and keeps improving.
    i will be waiting.
    lodore

17. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi n8chavez,

I was joking because i know that you tried NOD and had issues with this AV
    You can trust me when i say that NOD32 is the lighter AV that i ever used (i tried DrWeb, Antivir, Avast, BD, Kaspersky...)

Different men ( or comp) Different stories :D

MaB

18. pipester

pipester Guest

AVG, out of the box default settings provide good protection. Small, efficient updates.

19. n8chavez

Agreed. There are definetley advantages to Dr Web over NOD32 and vice versa. Dr Web has a post-scanning memory issue, NOD32 does not. NOD32 will never use above 21 meg of ram Dr Web fluctuates, and is lighter in terms of numbers, without SpiderGuard. But to each his own. Here's hoping v5 is all the good and none of the bad.

20. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Updates shouldn't be that large unless you have an old version of Avira.

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD can be a set and forget Av when set up for a totally silent scan. You should go through the tutorial from the beginning though. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very true nod32 can be a set and forget av.
    kav/kis6.0 should be more silent when the pdm white list comes in.
    lodore

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Kind of cheeky apprach:

Buy defensewall = NO pop ups (provides safety for Internet, P2P, mail, etc)
    See the tests of DW, provides 95% protection on all treath gates. Alternative is Norman Sandbox (see what it claims to envision the strength of sandboxes like DW or NormanSandbox)

Install cyberhawk free, as a kind of safety net behind DW for all programs. displays only pop-ups when anomolies occur (so it is easy to instruct you parents never to choose allow always). If you would like to be convinced of the strenght od behavorial protection have a look at Sana Security's Safe Connect (a paid alternative to CyberHawk)

Harden with SafeXP and SpywareBlaster, enable DEP for all programs

When you definitly want a Antivirus buy NOD32, with the advanced heuristics yo could lower the update frequency of the signature data base

Peronally I would opt for DefenseWall and Sana Security in your parents situation and forget about a traditional Antivirus.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  24. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Dr.Web have small updates because updates only contains about 5-10 sighatures, sometimes 1-2. so for security I think it's not good.
    I recomended Avast!, Nod32, or Antivir PE. Nod32 also have small updates.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

quote from dr web website "Only 25 minutes are required for an update to be made available for the Dr.Web world-wide users - this is the time to carry out a comprehensive internal testing of a new add-on"
    the signitsure rate per the small updates is low but if they do updates as fast as they say then its not a problem.
    these days i try to get the facts before posting:D
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.