AntiVirus + Scanners

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by marse.robert, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,

I am using a "similar" setup with FD-ISR as to what Eric advocates. I have been using this setup for quite some time without catching anything "nasty."

Nevertheless, I often get an uncomfortable feeling about surfing without any scanners. If you have a scanner like A-Squared, or something similar, how can one stop that scanner from scanning all snapshots? Personally, I cannot fault Eric's idea of operatiing without scanners - I just feel uneasy.

My feeling is this idea might be extended to run without an anti virus product - comments?

Marserobert

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't use Erik's approach, but a different one. But I run no AV's, and no AS's at all, and feel quite secure.

I am not going to go into it here as that would be off topic. I've posted about it, and you can PM me if you want.

Pete

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, well, if you're asking how to exlude snapshots from scanning, I THINK most of the anti-malware/antivirus apps have an exclude function that you can use for folders and files. I had to do that with my System Restore points because they took way too long to scan and I knew them to be clean because I did scans before making the points.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't use scanners, but that doesn't mean, I don't use any security softwares.
    Security softwares have to do only one thing in my frozen system, STOP the execution of as many malware as possible and lock my data partition, while I'm surfing on the internet to prevent reading, writing and stealing in my data partition.
    At this moment I use a router+firewall, AE and DW, probably not enough, but I like to use security softwares, I do understand.

I still have to find the first scanner, that detects something on my computer and I ran all the big ones and more.
    If you feel uncomfortable without scanners, use one or more, who cares anyway, but take one with a real-time shield.
    Online scanners and on demand scanners are useless in a frozen system, but they might be usefull in your data partition, certainly when you download anything from anywhere.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.