Antivirus Scanner Parameters - WinRAR, WinZip

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by seamaiden, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

NOD32 can be integrated with WinRAR and WinZip to scan archives for viruses. Please verify that these settings are correct.

WinRAR
    Select NOD32 Antivirus in the drop-down list of Virus Scanners Found by WinRAR. WinRAR detects the settings and parameters automatically.

Virus Scanners Found by WinRAR: NOD32 Antivirus

Virus Scanner Name: C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32.exe

Virus Scanner Parameters: "%f" /scanfile+ /scanboot- /scanmbr-

WinZip
    WinZip does not automatically detect NOD32. You must enter the path and parameters manually. I assume you enter the same information as for WinRAR.

Optional Virus Scanner Program: C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32.exe

Parameters: "%f" /scanfile+ /scanboot- /scanmbr-

When testing these parameters in both programs in Windows XP, NOD32 moves the archives to a temporary location (C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp) and then scans the archive as one file (.zip/.rar) rather than as individual files in each archive. Upon completion of scanning an archive in WinRAR or WinZip, NOD32 On-Demand Scanner shows something like the following:
    Is this what is supposed to show? It is working properly? What would be the temporary path in Windows 9x/Me? Windows 2000?

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

You probably want to add /arch+ to scan within the archive (ZIP, ARJ, RAR). sfx+ also scans within self-extracting archives.

TEMP path for Win9x/ME = C:\Windows\Temp
    TEMP path for Win2000/XP = C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp

(this is what you have... DOCUME~1 and LOCALS~1 are just shortened forms in 8.3 format)

3. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

Where in here...

"%f" /scanfile+ /scanboot- /scanmbr-

does...

/arch+ and /sfx+

go?

4. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi seamaiden:

At the end is a good spot. ;)

"%f" /scanfile+ /scanboot- /scanmbr- /arch+ /sfx+

5. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Rumpstah:

Regarding switches for Antivirus scanners in WinRAR (which I'd never heard of) and Winzip:

Instead of the WinRAR parameters (aka "switches"?)

what would the Winzip parameters be?

Also, while I'm at it, is Winzip simply a Packer, or a Runtime Packer? Somewhere in the NOD32 setup at a location I now cannot find (I'm a brand new NOD32 user, as of yesterday), there's a reference to Runtime Packers with some examples (I think WinRAR may have been one of them), but I never before heard of a Runtime Packer (vice an ordinary packer), and I don't know if Winzip qualifies.

Thanks for any help.

Roger Folsom

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Winzip & Winrar are packers (they make archives and self extracting ones too). Runtime packers are usually exe files packed with UPX (and others) to minimize their size.

7. rnfolsom

After looking up UPX at Answers.com (WhatIs.com didn't list it), I now "know" (I think) that Runtime Packers are the "self extracting" packed files that not only open and extract their contents, but also run the executable included in the packed file. Hence, apparently I've used a lot of Runtime Packed files, when installing downloaded software.

Thank you!

Now with luck someone else will tell me what parameters to put in WinZip to tell it to scan files using NOD32.

Thanks again.

Roger Folsom

P.S.: I'm making wild guesses about what icons to associate with messages here. With luck, I'm not frowning by mistake.

8. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

For WinZip and Power Archiver Command line
    /ah /arch+ /all /scanfile+ /pack+ /heurdeep

For WinRAR Command line
    "%f" /ah /arch+ /all /scanfile+ /pack+ /heurdeep

9. rawr

rawr Registered Member

So which command line prompt should I use for WinRAR? ..

"%f" /ah /arch+ /all /scanfile+ /pack+ /heurdeep

10. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

One question - will NOD32 scan silently or show you the scanning process and you will have to close it yourself?

11. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Using the command line that I posted above when you scan a Winzip file you have the choice to select minimize the scanner but in any event when NOD32 On-Demand Manual Scanner (Command Line Profile) is finished it does list completely all of the files scanned within the archive and YES ..you do have to QUIT --close out the NOD32 On-Demand Manual Scanner (Command Line) window and then a small WinZip window pops up telling you that scanning was completed sucessfully afterwhich you also click OK to close out that small window....

The same applies to WinRAR archives using the command line I posted above --except that after QUIT-ing the NOD32 On Demand Manual Scanner there is no separate WinRAR window that pops up like with WinZip

Does that answer your question?

Saphire

12. rnfolsom

SaphireX:

Thank you! I never would have known where to find that by myself.

Roger Folsom

13. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

good thread. What if you have Stuff It Deluxe by Allume, could someone post the info for that program as well?:)

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.