Antivirus.ru - March Results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

19 viruses in a month; what a load of bull. I can easily find more than that in half a day, tops, and I'm just an amateur hobbyist who does this for fun while they're supposed to be a test organization with credible ability to build their own test set. But I guess it all fits nicely; 19 was all they were left with after their *ahem* stringent and meticulous *coughdoctoredcoughcough* selection processes, producing the very outstanding test results you see here.

2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

and your prove is.........?

3. solcroft

You've never used them before, have you?

But put it simply, have you seen any other tests where DrWeb comes close?

4. egghead

you are "answering" my question with questions.

Again, what is your proof ?

From the 8 you have mentioned I have trialed 5. Kaspersky i'm still using (have a license).

http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Stats.VirusYearlyStats

NB these are yearly stats

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You are correct. This is the only test I have seen where Dr. Web is first or second. Much of the time, Dr. Web produces mediocre results at best.

6. solcroft

How does one prove that the sky is blue?

It's a simple fact, and it's there for you to see. You can either take the trouble to lift your head and see for yourself that the sky is indeed blue, or you can shut your eyes and adamantly insist for evidence that the sky is blue. It's really up to you.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

You seem to forget AM's result, or maybe people are sugesting they are biased to because they are Russian too.

The only test at AM that drweb has not scored well in was the self protection
    test of v4.33

8. solcroft

And did you really learn anything about its detection rates, or was it just the typical look-and-see trial?

F-PROT 6 above Avira. Vexira (rebranded VirusBuster) above BitDefender and Kaspersky.

Though I guess you have no problems believing those either. :rolleyes:

9. egghead

o.k. no proof but personal opinion

Nothing at all.:eek: I have learned which AV protects "my worId". I have chosen KAV and I'm using this now for 5 years in a row. Recently I have bought Dr.Web and I'm very satisfied with its protection.

I believe 1 test only and that is the Egghead test. I download riskie stuff and visit dark places of the web and see what the AV does. Doctor Web, like KAV, protects extremely well. When an AV protects me when practising risky behavior it certainly protects me in my "normal" daily computer life.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  10. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

That's exactly how we should choose a AV, the one that will protect your "own" PC and not the one that will perform "best" on comparative.

11. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Is this test real or a joke?I have my take on it,how about you?

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Not biased per se, but maybe the setting and location plays a role in how Dr.Web plays in that test as local AVs are often better for local tests (since samples are recovered from infected PCs anyway). It may be true that malware does not have a passport, but Russian PCs will more likely go through more Russian sites and hence encounter a greater variety of Russian malware (in theory) that other companies may not detect or may not bother because those sites may not be too common for their intended user base.

Not really surprising as VirusBuster does a lot of packer detection, more than both KAV and BD, thus leading to "better" 0-day protection in a few cases. Many times I have scanned files on VT to see VirusBuster being amongst the first AVs to detect it based solely on the packer, i.e. it seems to be detecting the packer and not the malware. :)

But I do agree that something does not seem right about this particular test. The test set of just 19 samples discounts any credibility of the results IMO, and any results are statistically quite insignificant really.

13. solcroft

It IS surprising from what I've seen. VirusBuster doesn't do "pure" packer detection - for some reason it only seems to flag packers if some other (unknown to me) criteria are met as well.

14. solcroft

And that is why you have to ask for evidence for even things like how far DrWeb is behind WebWasher.

Also, I found it strange when certain parties expressed worry that AV-C may try to "influence" AM's results. I wondered what did that have to do with anything, but after some comments brought to my attention the artificially inflated ranking of a certain AV in AM's results, I think I now know why.

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

there,s no logic here so I choose Norton because of PCMags' tests & they said it was best...that's good enough for me ;)

16. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

:thumb: Good one, Larry. I like NIS & NAV aswell.

Cheers

17. solcroft

larry,

Just because some so-called tests are better off as comedy material instead, doesn't mean all of them should be tarred with the same brush.

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

From the U.S. Department of Useless Information (USDUI)...
    What you see when you look up is the atmosphere -- air -- which is colorless. On a clear cloudless day, the sky appears to be blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light.

In any event, the issue as to the rank of DrWeb's current protective status remains to be seen. Recently, DRW has been vigorously adding signatures, and has also tweaked its real-time monitor & integral engine.

Despite DRW's manifest disdain of its poor results at AV-C & other test sites, I think the *sleeping giant* has finally awakened. In udder voids, DRW is back in the race. Wait'll next AV-test.org's tests.

19. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

no actually I do put some stock in PCMag, just as much as some others. I really use Nortons because I have had good success with it (it has saved me a couple times) & the one test I do put some stock in is AV-Comp. But bottom line any software I use i do so based on many 'other' factors & not just tests and I would add that all tests are not all equal...

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

- FileAdvisor (Bit9) is a whitelisting solution, with no malware scanning engine at all.
    - The strengh of Prevx resides in its runtime behaviour analysis and herd intelligence, not in its signature/heuristic/sandbox scanning.
    - Sunbelt VIPRE is a beta application.

Do they use Virustotal or another online multi-engine scanning?

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no idea, I only posted it :)

Don't shoot the messenger.

22. lucas1985

Be sure that there isn't any animosity against you.
    But these tests are so flawed that they're worthless.

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Why not ? You delivered the message ! :D

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you shouldnt judge it before you know how they do things.

25. lucas1985

- Do they use Virustotal or similar things?
    - Why did they test FileAdvisor?
    - 19 random samples = statistically insignificant results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.