Antivirus.ru - March Results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

another month has gone by.......

Untitled.jpg

2. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Looks good for Antivir.

3. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Do i read it right, that Dr.Web is "in front"?:)

Cheers

4. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

so the top antivirus is: kaspersky, drweb, f avira and bitdefender ?

5. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

an aprils fool joke perhaps?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

and people said the same about anti-malware.ru until av-comparatives anounced an alliance, i saw for myself a quick change of heart.

when anti-malware.ru posted such good results for drweb including one of the best packer support, 'best removal' and a silver award for their Heuristics, just 2% short of Nod32's, people had the very same opinion back then, infact... a few people actually laughed. :D

it was the same for shadowserver.org until such people started to mention it, people still dismiss them aswell, yet if av-comparatives announced an alliance with them, im pretty sure opinions will change WITHIN SECONDS.

people who dont have their own opinions, will keep on changing their minds, spending lots of money and making statements that keep changing too.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Posts with personal remarks removed. As usual, post about the topic not the people posting them!

8. xandros

xandros Registered Member

thank you

9. larryb52

I wasn't finding fault with the good doc but the reports, inconsitencies at least IMO, they are all over the place. To me you would have to question the intergrity of the results. Av-comparatives are realivity close so I don't question the results there. But on tests in general all so called results have to taken with a grain of salt IMO as I didn't do the testing so I'm not sure of what was used & how...

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Now Chris, I to am happy with the results as all should be, but as you have pointed out to me so kindly, I think the 2 statements above kind of go against the grain, dont they.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, they don't jeff.

One is saying people only change their mind if av-comparatives is mentioned, and the other is saying drweb do not/would not be happy if av-comparatives interferred with AM's testing.

No relevance at all to each other.

12. larryb52

it still comes down to what it does on your machine I think we all know tests are only a small part of it...

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been useing the same AV almost exclusivly for decades and have never had an infection get past it. But in most of the "AVTests" it isn't usually in the top three. Now even though I have been protected with my AV ever since it only was available on floopy disc am I to believe that it is no good because of these "av tests". No All it means is that the AV tests are interesting reading but do not Influence my decision making concerning which AV to use. These "AV Tests" are not real world applicable and are not going to show which av is going to work best on your machine. Only you can decide that from your own trialing and testing. Just my thoughts.

bigc

14. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

DrWeb scores higher than Avira, WebWasher, Sophos. Doesn't really take that many brain cells to figure out what's going on.

I, for one, would be glad if AV-C actually did interfere with this test.

15. egghead

egghead Registered Member

How is that Solcroft, can you give my grey mass a massage ?

If you mean that this test has been done by a Russian organisation, thus....:eek:

Look at the scores: Avira (Germany) has a high score. Webwasher (USA?) has a score higher than Kaspersky (Russia).

BTW in what country is Sophos made, info on their website is not very clear.

16. solcroft

Nope, I meant that the results are clearly very wrong. Placing DrWeb ahead of vendors like Symantec, BitDefender and AVG is dubious at best. Ahead of Kaspersky and ESET is pushing it. But at first place, beating Avira, WebWasher and Sophos, now that is nothing but pure baloney. You'd have to try very very hard to find a statistical set of samples biased that much, if it's even possible. That, or you'd have to write your own malware.

Thank god they had the common sense to not put WebWasher behind Kaspersky.

English, IIRC.

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Sophos' headquarters are in the UK.
    IIRC, they use malware samples recovered from infected computers. This may explain the abnormally high scores of Dr.Web.

18. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

As far as I see on that table in the first post, the test for march 2008 was made on 19 viruses? If it's true, this is hilarious and also has no statistical value. Using only 19 samples carefully chosen, you can obtain any result you desire :)

19. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Meaning ?

infected Russian computers, with Russian malware, thus Dr.Web (Russian AV)
    automatically has a high score ?

I have always thought malware did not have a passport.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Russians with the highest amount of botnets and 3rd largest spam-distributor in the whole wide world we live in, trust the Russian AV's.

AV-Comparatives - Austria, next door to germany.... entered the wars together, buddy buddys, speak the languages .... Avira scores well.

quick, call the biased-alarm.

people take them ohhhh so seriously, they are only tests.

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Since when has Sunbelt an antivirus o_O

VIPRE is still in BETA ...

22. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

My russian isn't that good, so maybe you or someone else can tell me a little bit about the testing methodology they use at antivirus.ru ?

Just looking at the numbers in the table is, excuse me, totally worthless...

One thing is the small number of malware, which from a statistically point of view makes the test worthless.

But I would also like to know more on the nature of the malware. Is this a "collection" of zero-day threats? Perhaps the most common zero-day malware in Russia at the time?

As other people has already said, you can easily design a test where any product will win. So what is next - a test where eTrust and ClamAV beats the **** out of Avira, Eset and Kaspersky? :D

EDIT: The list of tested products is also a laugh: FileAdvisor, Prevx1 and Sunbelt. Give me a break! None of them are antivirus products.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

1. i aint Russian
    2. all i know, is they take malware from computers of the general public, and then tested through each program.
    3. the products you mentioned, as a laugh... dont score very well, as im sure you can see, obviously.

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I find these tests veddy interesting -- and they are mild. DrWeb is clearly the wiener. I think. But then again...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  25. solcroft

It most definitely does not. DrWeb is nowhere near the league of the three I mentioned, regional malware or not. But this, on the other hand...
    ... explains it very nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.