Antivirus question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mountainman, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mountainman

mountainman Guest

Does anyone know the best way I could find out how many trojans a few the the big antiviruses detect? Chiefly NAV, KAV, McAfee, Panda, AVG (free), Antivir, and Avast (free). Thanks.

2. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To mountainman from Firefighter!

Pick up some 1000 to 1500 trojan like nasties from virus collector sites, after downloading each malware, scan them with VirusTotal and Jotti's Online Scan, check that they are less than 3 year old in VGrep, after that you know that any AV isn't able to beat Kaspersky.

Even that I know that Kaspersky is the best AV against trojan like malware, I'm very happy to my DrWeb 4.32b and BOClean 4.11, because I want to use several scanners installed in my PC.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Firefighter, DrWeb let's you use other on demand scanners? I had heard it like to be the only AV installed. NOD doesn't seem to like when I put KAV on either computer of mine, although I know quite a few people do that, I can't.

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To flyrfan111 from Firefighter!

Only KAV 5.0 series have difficulties with DrWeb in my PC. I can use even KAV 4.5 at the same time with DrWeb, but I'm very happy with eScan Free as my best backup, it's free.

When I had WinXP sp2 finnish version installed in my PC, everything sucks. Now I have only sp1 installed in my PC with no problems.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

going off topic a little... flyrfan, install KAV before NOD... a resident near here did that with KAV personal.
    On the topic... MuntainMan... I believe from your list, McAfee (new) and KAV would be the best bets, but different people have different opinions, different tests have different results.
    Take the AV that "feels" the best... the one that works well with other software on your PC and looks good.
    I hate KAV because it gives me zero configurability... which as why I stuck with NAV, before NAV 2004 became a bloated crapware. BitDefender as just as customizable, but every 3rd reboot, it would hang up, dunno why. So I'm trialling all AVs I can right now (everytime one expires its trial period, I throw it out and install its competitor).
    That's my personal opinion based less on facts and more on "feelings" so to speak... just like a Mac program, opinions may coexist even if they conflict.

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I guess it won't be too long before your reduced to relying on the crappiest available AVs!

Wouldn't it be simpler just to get a free one and leave it at that; or do you enjoy uninstalling these apps all the time! :D

8. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

@TopperID
    the latter is true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.