Antivirus protection is disabled

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hobbit666, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Please, let us know how it went where tests are finished.

Best Regards

2. hobbit666

hobbit666 Registered Member

Got some new DLLs from support to help with this problem. Hopefully should see some resaults soon

3. grichards

grichards Registered Member

I had a long discussion with eset support about this yesterday.
    I have 1200 clients, and I was having this problem with about a quarter of them.

The issue is that there are 2 places a mirror can be created. One is in the client installed on the RA server, and the other place is in the RA Administrator itself, under Tools, Server Options, then Updates. So, with both mirrors enabled, one or the other is going to grab port 2221 and cause problems with updates. The recommendation from support is to enable the mirror in the RA Administrator and disable the one in the client. The server will need to be bounced (I noticed the eset http server and the eset ra http server service were both trying to start when the server started, so I disabled the eset http service). On the client side, I cleared the update cache, and rebooted the client. Then I issued an update task from the ra server. Updates are working correctly now, but it hasn't been long enough to tell if this is the permanent fix. I think it is, based on the background information I was given, and the symptoms I saw.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this issue. It's a great help to know others experiences with the product. Good luck to all!

George

4. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

I'm not using a mirror for my clients. I get my updates directly from Eset through their own auto-server-selection.

Where are other's, who are experiencing it, getting their updates from?

5. hobbit666

I only use the Mirror Server from the Remote Server Application.

But i have now just started to deploy 3.0.624 to see if this fixes the problem

6. Andrew Carey

Andrew Carey Registered Member

I'm only using the http mirror from the RA Server. Oddly enough, no logfiles yet from any machine with the new updater.dll installed.

Watching and still rebooting 10-12 machines a day at this point.

7. NJ917

NJ917 Registered Member

Any new information for this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing, have about 60% of the Win2k boxes are getting this problem. Luckily the XP and Vista boxes are safe (knock on wood!).

8. hobbit666

for me the latest version (3.0.642) seems to have fixed this for me.

9. mufi

mufi Registered Member

My ESET 3.0.551.0 at the protection status writes that antivirus protection is disabled, but the firewall, at.spyw.modul and the other is written with green letters.
    This is after when i update the virus database. When i clicked on automatic, the database is 200701..., but when i choose a link it updates, 10mb files, and after that i got that message in the program-how can i put herte a screenshot?
    im using xp hone edition, sp2. oh. i find how to upload pics. here is the situation...

Attached Files:

• apd.JPG
      apd.JPG
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
  10. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I have the same issue (Antivirus protection is disabled) with a Vista SP1 machine when I boot it up. I have NOD32 v3.0.657.0 and the latest signature update.

11. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

I had a Windows 2000 server have this problem with Nod 2.70 yesterday. I had to get someone to go out to that location, put the nod32 password in, and click the enable amon to get it running.

Not sure if related.

12. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I found the problem. I had "Automatic real-time file system protection startup" set to off. I assumed this was a setting to allow a virus scan when the system boots. Apparently it also prevents NOD32 from starting period.

13. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Is there a resolution to this..??

I have the same problem on 10 servers runnign windows 2000/2003 server.
    The config for each server running nod eset v3 clearly shows av/aw protections is enabled but the servers still show them un protected with everything disabled.

This is proving to be a big problem and we dont want to go back to v2.7 with Sality.NAR virus able to disable any older A/V client.

14. darrenjamesw

darrenjamesw Registered Member

Add me to the list. Server 2003 with same issue. Reboot corrects it but re-booting a server is not convenient. Version 3.0.672.0

15. jprudente

jprudente Registered Member

279 clients for me here, and like others, I have a few machines per day that experience this problem. Usually they are W2K SP4 machines, but I have seen this happen on XP SP3 as well. The one PC I have now with AV protection disabled does NOT show the aforementioned file as zero-length.

Between this and the intermittent 100% CPU issue, I'm more than a bit frustrated.

16. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Yesterday while operating my computer I looked down to the task bar and saw that NODs protection was disabled. I reenabled the protection, worked a bit more on my computer and shut it down for the night.

Today I come home from work to find my wife doing her school work on the computer and I looked down in the task bar to see you know what - a red icon - again the antivirus was disabled. I then did a manual full system scan, luckily NOD found no threats.

NOD AV 3.0.672.0
    VISTA SP1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updated October 1
    I followed the advice given to Andrew Carey by his VAR and performed a cycle of uninstall, reboot, install, reboot, uninstall, reboot, install reboot - and for good measure repeated the cycle. Admittedly this was overkill on my part. Anyway this appears to have resolved the problem because I have since shutdown and restarted my computer twice without the problem showing itself again. This is in contrast to my previously seeing the AV become disabled upon every restart prior to employing the fix.
    Thanks Andrew!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  17. redfive

redfive Registered Member

I saw this today on my machine and to fix it I deleted all of the .dat files in the %ProgramFiles%\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus folder.

I first killed the egui process in Task Manager and then deleted the .dats. I then restarted the egui and then did another manual update. After the update was done I was back to a green eye.

18. layman

layman Registered Member

I just encountered this same problem in XP SP3. It occurred on reboot following a test of a Macrium Reflect recovery disk (Linux) -- hmmmm -- may just be coincidence. Your solution worked for me, but I had to reboot and try the update a second time. On the first attempt, NOD32 reported that no update was needed.

EDIT: I should clarify that the recovery disk test was merely a bootup check to see if I could map network drives with it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.