Antivirus protection is disabled

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hobbit666, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbit666

hobbit666 Registered Member

I've deployed Nod32 V3.0.621.0 on all my client machine via the lan server and console.

All seems to be fine apart from every week and get on or two machine that come up with the following error:-

Protection status: Antivirus protection is disabled

Virus scanner initialization failed. Most of the ESET NOD32 Antivirus modules will not function properly.

There is no reason for it to stop working as it's been working fine for weeks then all of a sudden it doesn't. The only way i've found to fix this is to redeploy the software to the client. But i'm doing this 3-4 times during the week to different machines.

2. csedgbeer

csedgbeer Registered Member

just to add to that, i've got the same on a few 2000 machines, no idea what the solution is, but it's only the v3 clients that have the problem

i've gone back to 2.7 on a lot of non xp machines, think v3 has some issues yet, especially with DC's

3. hobbit666

Two more have gone offline today.

They are Windows 2000 machines

4. csedgbeer

csedgbeer Registered Member

ta, that confirms it to me then, nod v3 is coming off the 2000 machines as well!

just hope the XP machines still keep working well, otherwise they are going back to 2.7 as well!

ta

Chris

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When the problem occurs, could you please save all dat files from the ESET installation folder and deliver them to our Customer Care? The package will be quite large, therefore it's better to upload it to an ftp server and provide the customer care just a link to it.

6. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

I've been seeing the same problem, and it only seems to affect Windows 2000 machines, Pro or Server, but not all of them, and not all at once, and hardware is immensely different between machines I've seen it on.

If I reboot the system it comes back as Enabled, but with Definition Version "N/A", and then if I push an update to it, it fixes it (without another reboot).

I'll try and collect info if/when it happens again, glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this. :)

7. hobbit666

Message sent to support with link to this thread and a zip file of the dat files.

8. Andrew Carey

Andrew Carey Registered Member

Presently I have 274 MS Windows 2000 v5.0.2195 SP4 workstations on my network. I have a total of 415 WinXP Pro workstations, on the same network.

Running ESET NOD32 AntiVirus Business Edition v3.0621 through ESET Remote Admin Console v2.0.33

Every morning I have 5 to 8 Win2000 machines with Last Event Warning - Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not function properly and Protection Status Text - Antivirus protection is disabled.

Virus Signature DB varies. No issue with WinXP Pro or the few Vista machines we are testing.

Support requested through the VAR.

9. hobbit666

I still have not recieved any reply from Eset as of yet. Apart from the we got the mwssage and someone will look at it reply.

10. Andrew Carey

I have 10 Win2000 machines disabled this morning.

11. hobbit666

just asked for an update on this issue.

12. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

13. Andrew Carey

Here's the solution being offered, although I'm not sure how long this would take (x274 machines), it surely is a pain in the A##.

This is from my VAR (name withheld).

"After having investigated as much as I can in regards to resolving the issues of the NOD32 AV systems disabling themselves without having to perform the removals and re-installations I have re-contacted ESET tech support, in hopes they would have an alternate solution, and was explained that the solution; remove the NOD32 3.0, reboot, re-install NOD32 2.7, reboot, remove NOD32 2.7, reboot and re-install NOD32 3.0, is the only known fix for this issue. :blink:

I apologize for the inconvenience of the solution. I was unable to find any confirmed shortcuts that would correct the issue otherwise."

14. Andrew Carey

8 machines disabled today......

15. techie007

Reinstall?

All I have to do is reboot the offending Windows 2000 machine and then send an Update Now task via the RA and they're good to go.

That's lame and everything, but it's waay better than uninstalling, installing, uninstalling and installing again!?

16. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

Hello,

anyone willing to help with this issue can PM me for further instructions. Thank you.

17. dbdoug

dbdoug Registered Member

Ran into this problem with a Windows 2000 PC, and I can confirm that rebooting and sending it an Update Now via the RA worked for me too. It's a PITA but it works to solve the problem (until it happens again), and much easier than the reinstall nightmare listed earlier.

18. hobbit666

Will try that method today and see what happens.

19. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I'd like to ask everybody who encounter this problem to have a look at the file:

%ProgramFiles%\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\em002_32.dat

It usually has zero length when the problem occurs. We'd appreciate if you could provide us with that information when the problem occurs.

Also, please make sure your w2k systems are fully updated with latest service packs.

Thank you all.

20. hobbit666

How would you like us to contact you with the files?

21. osoblaha

osoblaha Registered Member

Yes, I can confirm the file is zero. On other W2k machines its about 8,4MB.
    Please advise what to do next. Is it possible to copy this file over from a "healthy" machine?

22. SoCal_Sparrow

SoCal_Sparrow Registered Member

I am also suffering from this problem on 20-30 W2k Pro/Server machines. Eset support told me to reinstall .621 but that had no effect. I'll do anything I can to assist in finding a solution.

I can confirm that %ProgramFiles%\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\em002_32.dat is at zero length once the AV failure report occurs.

I've also found that by copying %ProgramFiles%\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\*.dat from a working NOD32 installation to %ProgramFiles%\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ on the problem computer, and then performing Update Now will resolve the issue without a reboot.

23. techie007

The two DAT sets I captured from failing W2K's both show that symptom -- the em002_32.dat's are 0KB.

Another one happened today (to my boss, who pays for this), and he said he rebooted and it fixed itself (I was out of the office all day), but not right away. So it seems like if it gets rebooted it will correct itself at the next scheduled Def. file check.

24. hobbit666

Still waiting for an answer from support

25. Andrew Carey

ESET has sent me dll's to test. In process now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.