Antivirus Poll (August - December 2014)

Discussion in 'polls' started by guest, Jul 30, 2014.

?

Antivirus Poll (August - December 2014)

Poll closed Dec 27, 2014.
  1. Ad-Aware

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Avast!

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. AVG

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Avira

16 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Baidu

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Bitdefender

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. BullGuard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Comodo

7 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Dr. Web

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Emsisoft

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  11. ESET

26 vote(s)
    18.7%
  12. Fortinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F-Secure

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  14. G-Data

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  15. Ikarus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Immunet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Kaspersky

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  18. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro

15 vote(s)
    10.8%
  19. McAfee

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  20. Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender

12 vote(s)
    8.6%
  21. Norton/Symantec

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  22. Panda

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  23. Qihu 360

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  24. Trend Micro

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  25. Vipre

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  26. Webroot

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  27. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  28. None

24 vote(s)
    17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Just forgot to update it LOL.

2. guest

guest Guest

I do admit that I'm curious about Fortinet FortiClient. Perhaps I should test it myself to see how it behaves.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

At this time, Eset and None share equal no of votes. Interesting.

4. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Okay how about telling why the one you voted for is the one you think is best. Currently for me that is Avast because of it's ease of use and it's software out of date scan an update ability. I must also state that I use FREE ware and have had no problems doing so for quiet some time now. I can not see buying these type programs unless one is running a business or things along that line.
    Always.
    Wildman

5. guest

guest Guest

It might against the rules though. We don't want that to happen.

6. wildman

So stating a personal opinion might be against the rules? If that be the case one does not need to be posting at this site unless they are in favor of censorship. I hope this is not the case. So once again why is the one you voted for in your opinion the best?

Always,
    Wildman

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

One is not breaking the rules by stating why you chose a particular AV, as long as there is no direct comparison with other products. Avira in my experience is reliable, support is okay (although I have only asked their help once in 7 years), detection is among the best, no system impact, and last but hardly least one license covers several devices for home users at a reasonable price...

by safeguy

Eset is by far the most popular here, considering that it is only available as a paid application. Avast, Avira, AVG, Bitdefender etc, they all have free versions which in my opinion would statistically invalidate this poll. There should be a poll only for free AVs and one for paid ones... Following this logic Webroot and Norton among the paid ones are doing fine after Eset...

8. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

None on Windows and Linux. If needed do have multi-antivirus bootables available.

9. guest

guest Guest

It's not that stating personal opinions is against the rule. It's just hard to not making direct comparisons when people elaborate why they choose a particular product. User A might say he likes Antivirus X because of great detection rate and light performance impact, then comes User B saying Antivirus X is crap, incapable to catch all zero-day malware and very very heavy on system performance. Then User B would say Antivirus Y is the overall better choice and everyone should stop using Antivirus X because he says so. The next phase is everyone enters the defensive mode, trying their best to falsify statements of those on the other side while boasting how supreme their own choices are. The madness is usually ended when the mods decided to close the thread before it gets out of hand and referring anyone to the ToS page in the hope to exorcise people back to their clean state.

10. wildman

So we will never get a true picture of witch one is indeed the best if this be the case. I guess it just bolls down to a matter of taste for each individual. I was hoping a forum such as Wilders would be a place in witch to gather informational insight to such things.

Always,
    Wildman

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can get a lot of information about AVs if you check out Other Antivirus forum section. I doubt that there will ever be a consensus among members, which AV is the best. As you said - it comes down to personal preference and also the fact that AVs are not performing the same on different systems.

12. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying "invalidate" but I can see where you are coming from. To an extent, the "power of free" cannot be denied.

Perhaps future polls could benefit from being slightly more precise by including e.g. "Avast (free)" and "Avast (paid)" as separate poll options. Separating into 2 polls would mean one could not clearly distinct the popularity of a free AV vs a paid one.

To compensate for that additional options (since polls have a limit), the poll starter can dismiss entries which have received 0 or negligible amount of votes in previous polls. I would think that would be a fair enough trade-off and provide a more accurate assessment in the quest to know which AV is the most popular/used among Wilders crowd.

13. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

The problem with distinguishing free and from paid in a poll is that it would look messy. Polls are as much about presentation as about data gathering.
    But I think it would be a good idea to try it at least once and see how it works out. I also agree that negligible AVs should be removed from the poll.

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

As I found out by looking on MajorGeeks free and paid AVs can be rated differently, so poll should be made one for free and one for paid. You are not going to learn the whole truth about what a AV is like that is usually done in a forum like Wilders :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.