Antivirus Market Share Report

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by OPSWAT, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Not a problem! At least it wasn't loaded!:D

2. vojta

vojta Registered Member

If we put this report face to face with Prevx's infections chart, MSE would be the best AV by an inmensely large amount:

http://www.prevx.com/

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Speaking of Prevx, it is surprising to find it completely absent from this report -- implying that less than 1% of the users in this sample are utilizing the product.

4. Pleonasm

Seems to be a very reasonable approach to me.

In addition, consider: is it coincidence that the anti-malware product with the largest market share is also the one that is most effective (as identified by AV-Comparatives in the 2009 summary report)?

5. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

To judge a product only on the basis of market share or some particular test done, i think is misleading .... like this Prevx's infections chart..if it were detecting almost all then why go for other products lets all get prevx..problem solved:blink:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I also use these reports my most recent ones are Feb 2010, and May/June 2010. What I like to do is just focus on the Advanced + products that score that high in both tests.

For me the most important is detection of new malware not yet having a signature.

But we must take care here not to violate ToS wilders policy against threads/posts AVx versus AVy. They lead to post wars and waste time and space;)

7. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

This was posted today, but the thread was closed as duplication and referred to this thread. Here is my reply relative to the above reference.

A very impressive piece of cake with supporting description. Very colourful indeed, it sure qualifies as a Pablo Picasso look-a-like.

"Others" accounts for a major 14.38%. The list includes many piffling AV`s at 1% +/- , some not even worth a mention and should be in "Others".

I wonder where Comodo has gone ? With a significant market share of the AV business, perhaps well over 10 million users, why omit this major product ?

Verdict = find another more reliable source than www.thewindowsclub.com and OPSWAT.

John B

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. Pleonasm

It is disappointing that OESIS persists in promoting the results of its research as “worldwide antivirus market share,” and the organization is doing a disservice to antivirus industry, in my opinion.

I had hoped that by now OESIS would have clarified these findings by noting that the numbers do not necessarily represent market share, since a representative sample of the market was not used in their formulation.

9. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

Q4 2010 Antivirus, Backup Client and Windows OS Reports: hxxp://www.oesisok.com/news-resources/reports/q4-2010-antivirus-backup-client-and-windows-os-reports

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

(a) How Accurate (i.e. Largely Representative) is this Report? o_O

(b) Is there any Comparable report with Different 'AV Market Share' findings? o_O

11. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This thread was started quite some time ago but it might be worth noting that Prevx's absence is due to the fact that we currently do not integrate into the OPSWAT framework (although we are working with OPSWAT to do so in one of the next updates). Therefore, I'd be shocked if there was a single user reported :)

Additionally, the OPSWAT tools are generally used by Enterprises using VPNs/NAC so the spread is likely not indicative of consumer users (and indeed is not what we see in our statistics).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.