Antivirus/Malware that runs as a service?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hutchingsp, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

I'm looking for a product to install on a Windows 2003 server that host websites and that, as with most servers, spends its life sat at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

I liked the sound of Prevx but last I checked it only ran interactively i.e. if some exploit got in via IIS it wouldn't detect it until someone was logged on to the server.

I'm just doing some digging into a-squared as it seems to cover both antivirus and anti-malware/trojan etc.

I will download the demo and try it, but does anyone know for sure that its components run as a background service so will detect infected files regardless of there being a logged on user?

Any other suggestions welcome (obviously no A vs. B) keeping in mind this is a business environment so if it's free it needs to be free for commercial use, and if it's paid for it needs to be a flat "per server" fee vs. protected users (how do you do work that out on an internet facing web server? :D)

Thanks in advance

2. Gasp

Gasp Registered Member

You are talking about getting a server product aren't you? I don't think you can install normal home Antivirus software on Windows Server 2003, you would have to buy the special server edition otherwise data centres would be getting away with using Norton AntiVirus 1User 1PC licences for their protection :p

Take a look at Avira Server edition, I believe you get a 30 day trial.

3. hutchingsp

It needs to work on 2003 Server.

I take the point entirely about licensing, and if a vendor makes it so that you can't install their product on a server-grade OS or forbids it in their EULA then I'm not about to break it, but you can but hope there is something out there.

Interestingly Avira (we use their workstation product) license based on "number of protected users" - how on earth do you define that for a web server in a DMZ?

4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I guess you'd have to use a hit counter and pray that your site doesn't become too popular :)

Sophos had this posting on their blog about the advisability of running an AV on a webserver, which would lead one to believe that they have a solution to offer. I know that their client AV runs on Server OSs.

Have you inquired with Avira about your problem? Since you're already a customer, if you explain the situation they might be able to help you out.

5. hutchingsp

FWIW Emsisoft confirmed that I don't need a special license for a server, so I think I'll give that a trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.