antivirus, hips and sandboxes

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hey come on, keep a few on the grill for your neighbors too. :D LoL

Yeah, i was going to reply earlier but decided against it untill another user that uses both could attest to their success using both. I always use one or the other but i have used them both in the past myself with no probs.

As far as overdoing it, malware don't stand a chance in Hades hole of so many hoops they have to climb and with an electric fence in their path, they don't stand a snowball's chance of hopscotching very far untill their toast. :D

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yep.:) after eating all that barbacue i have to delete the sandbox:D

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i dont run any scaners,and i know it is very usufull to use them but i dont anyway.i run DefenseWall+SandBoxie+returnil+windows firewallo_O
    no softwares firewalls runing.
    ofcourse some restrictions for outbound connection in sandboxie.

4. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

My setup is almost the same. Defensewall + Sandboxie + Returnil + Prevx + Windows Firewall + Router. I also have SAS Pro but only use that on demand. So depending on how you classify Prevx, I have no AV scanners on the go.

I use Defensewall + Sandboxie together all the time with no problems. I find that one compliments the other.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Can you please post how they compliment?

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey thats good protection you got there man.:D
    i trust those 2 together:D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

DefenseWall and SandBoxie are like two happy brothers:D
    they protect your pc in a different way but you get protected anyway.

8. Threedog

Sure! If I recover a file from the sandbox (Sandboxie) to my hard drive, it is still listed as "Untrusted" by Defensewall. Plus, if anything was to break out of Sandboxie it is still covered by Defensewall.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey treedog,so let say if you save some thing out the sandbox will defensewall mark that file as untrusted.like GeSWall label as untrusted with the litle g icon.i am curious do we get a label mark with DefenseWall i never pay attention to that?:eek:

10. Threedog

It will still be listed as untrusted by Defensewall if it comes out of Sandboxie. That's what I like about that setup. Plus, if I am didling around with dangerous stuff, I usually have Returnil kicked in also. So everything is well contained and easy to get rid of. And lets not forget Prevx is checking out anything that executes.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thats like 3 blankets to cover from the flue rigth treedog:thumb: :thumb:

12. Threedog

That's the way I look at it Jmonge. I don't really need all this stuff but it's fun to play with. Of course, if all fails I still have my "Nuke" cd and clean image to start all over again.

13. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think you could also had a behavioural blocker.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is threatfire a behavioural blocker?thats the only one my pc likes:D but at the moment i gave threatfire a break.
    before i tried avast's behavioural blocker built in the app but i dont like to run scaners and got rid of it even if it free.

15. Threedog

Yuppers, Threatfire is a behavioral blocker. I have never used it so I don't know all that much about it. Only what I have read on here from others.

That's why I have Prevx thrown into my mix. Its a combo behavioral blocker/hips and also checks any executable run against a database looking for baddies.

16. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Re: antivirus ,hips ,and sandboxes

I agree with your Threatfire suggestion but I still think an outbound firewall/protection is good for an average user in certain situations. While you and I are careful with what we download and where we get it from, others may not be. Then again, they would have need to know how to answer the firewall prompt :doubt:. I guess it's a tough call either way and I do see both sides. I still like that extra chance I get to block a program that wants to call out.

When DefenseWall adds the outbound protection, it will be a very nice addition.

17. Threedog

With Prevx on "Pro" mode, it will throw a pop up if something tries to call out while it is installing. It works with Windows Firewall to give a bit of outbound monitoring.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey threedog prevex sounds like a cool tool.

innerpeace is what i need for my pc and to answer question to a firewall is prety anoid for me cause my pc is a familly pc so thats why i use the silent
    aproach.may be threatfire pro has the outbound silent aprouch i need for my familly pc.and yes i am very happy to heard that defensewall is adding outbound protection for untrusted apps.:D that way i only use my windows xp firewall for inbound protection and defensewall for outbound protection.:thumb:

19. Someone

Hi

Yes, ThreatFire is a behavioural blocker. I didn't know Avast had a behavioural blocker, what's it called?

Thanks

20. Someone

Re: antivirus ,hips ,and sandboxes

Personally I think this is the key point and sums up the argument. Most users (including me actually) will just click allow if there are a lot of pop ups.

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Exactly.
    Been running both for a while now myself.

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry guys posted this in my thread, but is also applicable on this thread, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1274971&postcount=32

@JJmonge,

You are using three types of sandboxes, this might increase security but to me it is like having safe sex with a normal condom, a glow in the dark condom, and a ribbled one. Because you put on the ribbled condom first, next the glow in the dark and last the normal one, the added effects (added value) of the first two are reduced to practically zero. It also reduces the moment of romance/passion, because it takes so much time to put them all three on ;) ;) ;)

But hey it is your computer, do as you like/feel best (security is a state of consious/mind, not an objective fact)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  23. Threedog

Yes but depending on how nasty the malware (or partner in the analogy), it may be beneficial to wear all three. :D

I like the policy + containment aspect of Defensewall + Sbie for surfing. Like I said above, both work in different ways but benefit the other. Returnil, I use more for testing software rather than surfing, but it is there if I need it.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my wife vs returnil?my wife wins:D
    she didnt like the facts that you have to reboot for any changes to go or if she makes any changes can not be save so i am here very sad and anounce that i let returnil go away.

yeap avast also has a behaviour blocker you have to dig a bit to find it,it is very simple and it gives you the chance to get pop ups(which i dont like)
    i think i dont remenber but you could find it network shield or webshield one of those and then advance i believe and then you check mark the one you need to protect on read,delete,write something like that.if i downloaded tomorrow i can tell you i dont have install rigth now.

25. Someone

Hi

Is this for Avast free or Pro? I know the Pro version has a script blocker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.