Antivirus - from YOUR country

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what do people think about using an antivirus from their own country.

in my case, this would be the UK.

do you think they would offer better protection for threats seen in the UK, in comparison to other products which may have a better detection in 'their region'

ie. Rising Antivirus probably has GREAT detection for the asian market, but poor for western europe.

understand what i mean?

i know the web is a big place and people can visit everywhere, but do you think regional antivirus solutions are preferred, would they offer a greater protection to the user, instead of test results which are based on a more 'worldwide average'

your thoughts?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think it has all the earmarks of turning into an A vs B antivirus thread, and if it does.........

Pete

3. risl

risl Registered Member

F-secure is from Finland and that's where I'm from.

Great protection because of all the different engines but always had a reputation of being heavy on resources. Is almost always installed on Finnish school computers and other state institutions.

..but I have more respect for companies that create their own technology rather than acquiring others work. That's why I'm with dr.web. :)

4. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

BullGuard is from Denmark, and it's using the Bitdefender engine, who's from Romania. They look and feel very much the same, so I think the virusdefs is coming from the same place? Anyways, they are both european antivirus products, so they probably defends better in the EU, than in other places.

Cheers

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Why has it got to be an a vs b?

Its a simple question, does using an antivirus from your own country offer greater protection for the licence holder?

6. Ikarus_bpaar

Ikarus_bpaar Registered Member

In our case (IKARUS is from Austria) many customers decide to chosse an AV solution where support and program language is in nation language. So for austrian companies its easyer to speak with someone who understands their language and they have one direct person to speak with, when there will be problems or questions.

I would say: We place great value on personal contact :)

7. Norton360

Norton360 Registered Member

In my case (Panda, from Spain) I think it is the worst antivirus, so I'll choose any other.

I don't think products developed in your own country are better than the ones which come from outer.

8. OHM

OHM Guest

In my country (Korea),
    there are...
    AhnLab V3 (their own engine),
    Hauri Virobot (partially Bitdefender engine),
    NTW VirusChaser (Dr.Web engine).
    However, I use NOD32, because all of the Korean products
    are not that good. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  9. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I think it's very interesting. I know Brazil have some AVs but I never tested it.
    Some AVs from Brazil (I discovered it now in Google):

KantAV: http://www.kantav.com.br/
    AVWare: http://www.avware.com.br/

A local AV can supose that detection of national trojan (bankers, downloaders and other) will be better. For example, I said here that NOD32 have a very poor detection of trojans produced in Brazil (about 10%). We receive it every day by e-mail, MSN, Orkut and other methods.

I'll try these AVs and think about it.

Good topic.
    ;)

Edit: I tested the AVs above and they are really poor on detection, including national malware. :|

I'll stay with Avira or F-Secure...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  10. wantcm

wantcm Registered Member

The Antivirus from my country,I use Micropoint. It can be used with NOD32.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay, now that there are a few posts, I am curious what you have learned??

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

to be honest, nobody has really answered it.

tiagozt's post seemed to know what i was talking about, but still not conclusive, i need some facts :)

i was just curious whether an av from your own country, would be able to detect the threats that your surfing habits would most likely bring.

surely a UK av would have more protection against the threats in the UK, compared to say.... a chinese/american av etc.

that was just my thought, as the tests we see... are worldwide detections and 'might' not be realistic to the users protection.

13. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have never really thought about it. Even though Symantec is US based that never entered my mind. I have used several AV's from around the world but location is not a factor with me.

Just curious but what AV's are based in the UK?

14. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

in Case of my land :)

it will be

Alwil's Avast!

Gristoft's AVG

AEC's TrustPort

and from AS products don't forget czech coding team behind Spyware Terminator :)

i'm quite sure i forgot some :D

15. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Sophos comes to mind when it comes to antivirus based in UK.

16. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I was sitting here trying to think of a UK AV and Sophos never entered my mind (been a long week, lol).

I have never tried Sophos :oops:

17. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

If the AV company have a good team to search for malwares I believe that an AV from your own country will be more effective. But it's not what we see here in Brazil. Avira and Kaspersky or F-Secure are prepared for "our" malwares while NOD32, Avast, Mcafee, Symantec and other are not.
    I believe that it's working with Dr.Web and/or Kaspersky and russian malware. I don't know if chinese AVs detect chinese malware because here in Brazil they detect nothing (about 0%). I think these AVs should be useful somewhere or nobody buys it... Right? :|

18. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Personally, I don't care so much about the country of origin as much as the company's success in providing corporate / business products. If larger companies are willing to invest money in a product that protects their PCs, that tends to mean the product has some level of quality and that usually passes over into their consumer products as well.

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

in my eyes :rolleyes:

I don't know why would one even devide threats into countries . Internet is one for all the users worldwide and anyone can access any web-page he/she wants to . Not so sure about the number - recently I read that 85% of the webpages are written on English (but even not 85% most are) . If you are from Brazil this doesn't mean you won't visit English written page .

Similar is for email borne threats

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  20. andylau

andylau Registered Member

If AV(s) in my country that is powerful enough or can be satisfied my needs, then I will use it. Otherwise, I won't use it.

Do you want to say patriotism or nationalism?

21. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Personally I didnt care where the software was developed and sold, if it was good - I bought it.
    But interesting question that a "Local" AV for example should concentrate more on local threats. I never thought of it that way. Great idea though.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

but do 'you' think, that ikaurus will have a greater detection for malware located on infected machines in Austria?

23. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I always thought viruses would be rather global. Logic says that any segmenting would be language based as opposed to geography.

24. prozabor

prozabor Registered Member

Mks_vir (ArcaVir). It was the best antivirus many year ago but now it is still developing.

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Check out IBK's test on the "Other AV products", February 2007 where he suggests that although some of the products may not be too hot in detecting the whole test-bed, they may be much better in detecting local regional threats.

Makes sense to me, particularly for the AV vendor with a small, local userbase. There is then much less chance of picking up malware samples from further afield ( even though vendors are supposed to share these).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.