Antivirus for Windows 98 Virtual PC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xxJackxx, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm playing with this just for fun. Posting this from Firefox 2 in Windows 98. I tried Netscape 4 but it would not create a new post. In any case, are there still any antivirus programs that work with Windows 98? I know NOD32 v2 still gets definitions until early 2012 but it can't be downloaded anymore. Anything else that still works? I tried to search but it said the term "98" was too short to include. :(

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Clamwin is one I found. AVG 7.289 and that's all I could find.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think with Nod you have to go back to v 2.5. You may be able to download from filehippo-
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_nod32/tech/994/

What about Avast 4.8 ? I'm not sure if it runs on 98 or not.

Twister apparently will run on anything back to Windows 95- (90 day free trial)
    http://www.filseclab.com/eng/download/downloads.htm

I believe BitDefender on demand scanner version 8 will run on Windows 98 and if you search the internet (maybe this site) you can find a tweak so that BD runs real time instead of on demand on 98.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_bitdefender/577/

All in all I would probably give Twister a shot first bc it has the HIPS built in plus a long trial.

4. xxJackxx

I found the AVG download but I haven't found anything about if or how long definitions are supplied for it.

I don't believe you have to go back to NOD32 2.5, but file hippo only seems to have the NT based version, not the 9x. I do have a valid license if I do find a copy.

I thought about the Avast 4.8 version but can't find much info on it now.

5. acr1965

6. xxJackxx

Got it. But I have no idea if there are still definition updates for it or how long. I found a copy of NOD32 2.7 for Windows 9x. I believe it gets definitions until February. Not very long from now.

Thanks everyone. :thumb:

7. acr1965

YW- Nod 2.7 was by far my favorite version of that product.

8. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

As Windows 98 gets older and older I imagine it will just get harder to find an AV for it.

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Firefox 2 is high vulnerable - with or w/o AV. Same for W98 - no updates since years.

what is your purpose on this crap? avoiding malware? LOL

10. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

According to the user guide Vba32 supports Windows 95/98/Me.

11. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

You should upgrade to Windows 2000, at least, for installing modern software.

If you prefer the old windows technology, you can use NOD32 2.7, it will still get updates until feb 2012. I havent tried the online scanner under win9x yet.
    Or you can install norman.

12. xxJackxx

Did I not start my first post by stating:
    "I'm playing with this just for fun." o_Oo_O
    :D

This thread is getting too serious. I've been playing with computers for almost 30 years. Sometimes it's just fun to break out the old stuff and take a look at it. Don't worry, I've already found out by accident that if you set your system date ahead 100 years that Windows 98 no longer runs, so nobody will be asking then. :blink:

13. acr1965

Curious as to what firewall you are running on your rig...also are you using any other retro programs? I guess Spybot S&D could work too.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

A quick scout around and I found a product call "Protector Plus",that runs on 98.I've never heard of it before,but it seems to be legit.Free 30 day trial available:

http://www.pspl.com/

15. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

the best antivirus is Windows 7 :D

anyway if i were you i will Do Jmonge On that virtual Machine ;) :p

Really take snapshots without any antivirus and try everything that gets under your hands ;)

16. xxJackxx

It's really not for serious use or general internet usage. Windows 98 with Office 97, Visual Studio 97, Encarta 99 Reference Library, some old games that don't work on newer OSes, mostly just for playing around with. It brings back memories of college and the days when this was all still fun and exciting instead of the chore that it all has become.

I also have Virtual Machines with Windows 3.11, 95, ME, NT 4.0, and 2000. I've run them all over the last 15 years. It's entertaining to pull them up every great once in a while. Especially to show some of the younger guys at work what it was like "in the old days". :D

I'm still running Windows 7 x64 on the host machine with IE9 and Firefox 6 and KIS 2012 and no intention of displacing that as my main setup.

I also occasionally run Linux on VirtualBox when I get bored. With its 1 percent market share I'm not terribly concerned about security on that setup.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Does Rising Antivirus still support 98? I know they use to but I am not sure if they still do.

2011 only works on 2k on newer, an older version may support it though.

18. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

avast! 4.8 still updates on my "real" Win95 machine but I know its days are numbered. :(

Attached Files:

19. xxJackxx

Good to know it works for now anyway. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.