Antivirus for OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FluxGFX, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hiya folks,

I'm not new to this but I've been testing different AV for the OS X and was wondering if anyone else (using a mac) would share with me which one they have tried/tested/used.

I've came up with a little list.

1- ClamXav
    2 - Virex
    3 - Norton Antivirus for Mac
    4 - Sophos

Am I missing any other program that should be of interest?

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

2. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

Hi,

There's also Intego Virusbarrier - I have not used it, although my wife trialled their firewall a while back. I think it's had some good reviews - I seem to remember it being the top recommendation in Australian MacWorld...

3. gevin

gevin Registered Member

MacScan - Detects, Isolates, and Removes Spyware Macintosh Spyware Protection.

Just wonder is there any FREE AV for Mac other that clamXav?

4. FluxGFX

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned I do not think there's another free AV except for the open source one ClamXav. Mind you up to now from what I've been able to find out from a few of the Mac guru's here at work ClamXav is the work.

Here's my current review on this.

ClamXav: Folder sentry protects essentiel operating parts of the OS
    - Low ressources
    - CPU usage all time below 2%

Mind you I'm running a 1.28ghz PowerBook G4 with 1GB of ram.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

*Come on MAC users I know there's more then that.*

5. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there still no *real* virii or spyware packages that will compromise an up-to-date 10.4? I believe the reason we are so limited in terms of options for free and paid virus protection, is because at this point in time, it is unnecessary. On my PC I run TONS of security apps, everything from host files, to Outpost and KAV, with scheduled weekly scans from other freebies, but on my Powerbook, I feel safer than I do on my PC with just the firewall enabled, and ports set to stealth.

I've tried several firewalls and antivirus including Clam and Netbarrier, but felt they were all more intrusive and useless than they were worth. Even peerguardain on OSX caused problems when I tried to sync my phone with Missing Sync.

I guess the point of my rant is that as of today (10/10/2006), I wouldn't waste my time evaluating or configuring an antivirus. I'm not saying that won't change in the future, but I feel that when the time comes, we'll have better options to evaluate and discuss. Who knows, maybe even an OS X section here on Wilders? ::prays the day will never come:: :D

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

omg here we go again.... the reason windows gets all the malware is because so many people use it. i want people to go out and buy macs so thats the main target. and then those mac people cant be so smug :)
    i really do hate people thinking mac is invulnerable to viruses and spyware.
    remember once there was a mac virus that disable the mac internal firewall.
    im not saying you are one of these people im just commenting on what I feel.

the judgment day for mac's will come and hopefully soon mwhahahah :)
    i want tons of people to get them so windows gets less malware. then apple will have to release tons of patches to keep it safe.

lodore

7. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Smug? Because I suggested that at this point in time there was no need for an OS X antivirus? Pretty ignorant reply for someone with over a thousand posts at this forum.

If you do the research, learn both environments so that you're comfortable with both, you'll see my statement is completely valid. AND, had you taken the 14 seconds to actually read my reply, you would have also seen that I do use both platforms and have gone through the trouble of securing my PC to what I feel is adequate. "Smug" mac users are what bother you? How about I'm tired of being called smug by "smug" security experts like yourself?

Never at any point did I suggest that OS X was superior by design or state reasons why it was more secure. Ignorance these days...

8. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

And the fact remains that a Mac user can do just about anything on the internet and remain free of viruses and malware - with no special precautions or software installed on their system.

My wife has a Mac G4 for her business. She used to run Norton everything, but is caused so many conflicts and crashes that we removed it entirely from her system. For over 3 years she has had no security software on her machine, and no infections.

Of course, this is not to say that it will never occur...

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would recommend bookmarking secunia.com no matter the operating system you use just to keep on top of things.

While viruses are not a big problem with Macs, things could change over time. A quick search. http://secunia.com/search/?search=mac osx

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my reply was just pointing out that some mac users think mac's are invulnerable and cant be affected by viruses. it was not meant for any other reason.

and i really do want more people to buy macs so they get viruses. just so windows gets less malware.

I just hate the attitude of some mac users. I also hate people who say windows don't patch holes faster enough.
    and people who think windows isn't very secure. if mac out sold windows pc's then mac would have the same problems.

I prefer windows because you can run more software on them.
    on a unrelated note when did apple fix the uninstall process so that it would no longer reinstall itself?

this post is not meant to diss apple in anyway.

I am just posting what I think of some people who use apple mac and think it cant be got by viruses.

if mac come as popular as the ipod the judgement day for apple mac's and viruses will come very soon.

please post your comments
    lodore

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  11. FluxGFX

I wouldn't say that there's no viruses for macs, infact there's quite a few that have been popping out here and there since 2004. You may also note that there's a few trojans also but they are not in the wild.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

12. FluxGFX

Now can we come back to main topic about AV's on Mac?

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i think we can

14. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Just before we do, I wanted to say that I always thought Macs still had vulnerabilities, just not as many. I've seen a lot more smug linux users then Mac users. The Linux people always say "Faster, no malware, etc" but Windows is the one that most people use and most apps are made for so I'm happy with it, and I don't mind securing it.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i see your point about smug Linux users. I used to hate windows but ever since i got windows XP ive had no problems because ive learned what is safe an what isn't and am a safe surfer now. so if your careful it doesn't matter.

16. FluxGFX

Now let's get back on track. Personally I don't really give a hoot as to what people may think or Mac, Windows, Linux etc... It all comes back to same thing, the need to be safer.

Yes I agree there’s more targeted problems towards windows.
    Yes I agree there's less targeted toward Mac Users.

If we would reverse the scenarios... Let's take Mac and put it in the lead and windows a being the less used. Obviously you'd have lots more holes found in Mac because it's more popular.

Forsake the coming replies to this post.

I think we were in the loop about AV's? no?
    - There are quite a bundle of viruses able to target Mac, unlike other OS's your account in Mac is not the root account therefore making changes to critical part of the system is hard.

- Mac user accounts have fewer privileges so that critical operating functions of the OS are not affected.
    - Still it is possible for a person to fall victim to such attacks/virus/trojans/rootkits...

So now my question is again.... except for the listed AV's above anyone else know of anything else worthwhile to check?

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.