Antivirus for Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Howard Kaikow, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahamot

bahamot Registered Member

The windows PC doesn't have Internet access and I can do this without extra money.

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

You started this type of thread before and were told then that you don't need an AV for a Linux desktop system. Apparently you still don't believe it. If you are setting up an email server/file server for a network with Windows clients then it would be appropriate, for a desktop it's a waste of disk space/CPU/memory.

Since you seem intent on installing an antivirus on a Linux system, take the advice you would give someone asking the same question about an AV for Windows: download all of them and try them out. You will probably have difficulty finding serious Linux users who have tried any of these, much less all of them.

BTW, for most, if not all of them, you will have to install dazuko if you want on-access scanning.

Personally I think your Linux experience would be more rewarding if you spent a bit of time considering why AV for Linux isn't necessary. With some simple configuration you can apply these principles to Windows as well, thus increasing your security significantly without relying on performance-deprecating security applications.

For Windows systems I only have an AV on-demand to check files I download. The rest is policy based, i.e., limited user, software restriction policy, DEP, and turn off all unneeded services. The principle of least privilege is effective security in any OS.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

And I said that this thread assumes that an AV is needed.

So, it was off topic for others to argue otherwise.
    I have my reasons for stating this assumption.
    But I am not about to discuss those reasons in this thread.

Actually, right after I made the posting, I remembered that product comparisoins are verboten in this forum. I had expected the moderator to close this thread.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No offense Howard, but I think you're wasting everyone's time as well as your own with this thread. Just try a few that run on Linux, make a choice, and be done with it.

5. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

OK, in that case just try out a few of them, as already suggested, and take which ever one seems to run the best. Virus Bulletin tests these AVs on Linux platforms as well, take a look and see what they say about detection. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much difference amongst the major players.

As mentioned, if you want on-access scanning, you will probably have to install Dazuko. Instructions here. I don't know what your level of experience is with Linux, but for a newbie installing it might be somewhat intimidating.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I asked a simple question.
    I stated assume that an AV was needed, and I need not state my reasons.

The only proper responses would have been A is better than the others, or you forgot to consider X.

It was not I who wasted the time.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Reasons? No. Proper context? Yes. As I requested above
    Well, you're wrong on that count.

As further guidance has been lacking, thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.