Antivirus for Linux

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Football, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

LOL, exactly as I predicted, the typical fanboy who simply sits back, spouts crap without evidence, but demands that other people provide the evidence instead.

I rest my case. You full of empty talk, no evidence :)

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im positive their are more experienced and knowledgeable people here that culd prove u wrong, im no expert, but im a realist.

3. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I think all operating systems have vunerabilities, nothing is perfect. However, the simple fact is your more secure using a Linux based operating system, to a Windows one.

I like what Microsoft have done with Vista though, because it's certainly much better sercurity wise than XP.

4. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

+1

I use Vista + Ubuntu for different occasions.

But I really like Vista, I can play online games such as BF2142 using it ;)

5. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I don't why there are threads like this. I guess there are non believers. I have been using Linux for about 10 years. I go to the same websites that my Windows machine goes to and never have been infected with anything. I even tested it for about 2 years and ran a AV and Rootkit scanner, nothing has ever been found. Can't say that for a Windows machine, gets infected in no time.

6. tonyseeking

+1

Case closed :thumb:

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Or there are just people who neither see the need to consider their OS as a religion, label people as believers vs non-believers, nor to champion their personal choices with ignorantly zealous bigotry.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

Why should they do that? Running Linux as a user is painless. Running Windows (up to XP) as a limited user without, e.g. SuRun is painful. And it's unbelievable, but nevertheless true that there are still some Windows apps that require write permission to %windir% and %programfiles% - a bad consequence of the fact that Windows had not been written as a multi-user sytem from the beginning and of the fact that Microsoft never "forced" users to use limited accounts.

So what prevents you to upgrade to Jaunty which is really a breeze? There is a new Ubuntu version every 6 months - hardly a time span for apps to become completely outdated. Besides, there are also rolling releases like PCLinuxOS.

But it's your decision. Stay with Windows, discuss in the many threads here about the advantages/disadvantages of HIPS A vs. HIPS B or of AV X vs. AV Y or about the reliability of outbound protection of PFW 1 vs. PFW 2. I'm no longer interested in that crap as I don't need it in Linux.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  9. tlu

tlu Guest

No offense meant, but you're a typical Wilders member who relies on umpteen security tools instead of implementing a sound LUA/SRP strategy. And you probably don't know anything about Linux. A good source can be found here. It's from 2004 but the general statements made are still valid.

10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It would really be a big help to your argument if you bothered to explain your points instead of going straight into attack mode.

You're right about it being unbelievable. And it's unbelievable because it's so rare now that you really have to go out of your way to try to find any examples. Vista and Windows 7 have forced most - if not all - software into behaving properly in a restricted account, except for some legacy programs that're no longer updated, or some exotic foreign software from countries like China. The only one I can name that misbehaves is BitComet, but I simply switched to FDM and there's been no problems after that.

Running Linux as user is as painless as running as standard in Windows. I don't know why you insist on making these misleading claims. We can all tell you like Linux, but I believe it's possible to enjoy your preference simply on its merits alone, without having to unfairly run down the competition before you can feel good about your own choices.

You mean other than the fact that forcing the user to upgrade the entire OS just to get software upgrades, is an utterly braindead policy?

Can you imagine being forced to upgrade to Windows 7 before Windows Update will deliver Office 2007 SP2 to you? If Microsoft had enough balls to do something like this, I can predict the massive brouhaha that'd immediately and inevitably follow. But you're telling me that this is actually the recommended procedure for Linux? Go figure.

Not by your definition, perhaps, and I fully respect that, but they certainly do by mine. I have no intention of keeping myself out of date for months all the time, when I can be enjoying all those new features and improvements for software that are already stable enough for mass release.

Seriously, what the heck is with you and the constant sour grapes mentality?

I run as light in Windows as I ever did in Linux: firewall, restricted account, and that's it. I have no doubt you're a master of the Linux Zen, but it honestly won't hurt you to put aside your misconceptions for awhile and learn a thing or two about Windows.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

I've been running Windows as a standard user for many years so believe me that I know what I'm talking about. And I explicitly mentioned Windows up to XP.

Okay, that was actually meant ironically.

I've been using Windows 3.1, no 95/98/ME (but OS/2 instead), NT, 2000, XP and Vista. If you search for the threads I started here on Wilders about, e.g., LUA, SuRun , SRP and the like you will notice that I've learned more than a thing or two about Windows. I surely know more about Windows than you do about Linux.

Anyway, since we're heavily OT here I'm not going to discuss this any further.

12. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Where did religion come in? We are talking about AV's in Linux. And I believe they are not needed at all.
    Case in point. My Vista64 computer with 4gb of memory has 3 security apps running real time and still gets infected. I have had to use a imaging program to restore the OS it was so infected. And I can't count how many times I have to do the same for family members and with the same OS (Windows) on both hands.
    And Vista is no more secure than XP.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

If I did not have the above software to restore an image I would be spending several hours at each computer to reinstall everything.

My Vista64 OS even with a AMD processor and 4 gb of memory takes takes more than a minute and a half to boot up.

My current Linux OS (Arch Linux 64) takes 20 seconds to boot up. And how many times have I had to restore a Linux OS I have ever used because of an infection? ZERO

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Anecdotal evidence for the win. Let's listen to YET another unsubstantiated long-winded ramble about how crappy Windows is, followed by sung praises to Linux. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I could do the same in reverse, but I see no reason to add another pointless post after yours. (Though it's probably too late by now...)

14. tonyseeking

I will, thanks :thumb: :argh:

But I also have Vista, and I fire it up when I want to play online games like BF2142 :cautious:

15. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Story

16. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Not too many people I know or have seen use Abobe Reader with Linux. Most if not all distros have a .pdf viewer already installed, and its not Adobe's.

17. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I don't recall with Ubuntu, but I know with the standard Arch repos Reader is not available you have to get it from adobe themselves(ie. Not in the official repos) Plus who needs it with evince? :p

Code:
    [dan@kaput~]$ pacman -Ss adobe
    extra/flashplugin 10.0.22.87-1
        Adobe Flash Player
    extra/t1lib 5.1.2-2
        Library for generating character- and string-glyphs from Adobe Type 1 fonts

BTW - VBA32 has linux versions also. I use it to scan submitted files.

18. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Ubuntu has evince. I am using KDEmod plus Arch Linux and it has Okular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.