Antivirus for Android phone?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a Samsung Captivate Android phone and was wondering if an antivirus was needed or not. I saw a few free ones available- is there a comprehensive list somewhere that compares antivirus products for Android phones? ...that's assuming one is needed in the first place-

thanks

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The general consensus seems to be that it is not necessary at this time. I have a Droid 2 and am not very worried about it.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

For android, I would say no, not at this time. However, it would be nice if the AV's dectected both Android malware and Windows Malware, since I use my phone as a storage device for my Windows machines. The only two that I have tried are Dr.Webs and AVG's, both seem to run fine.

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Its most likely not needed at this time, but this is Wilders so if you have the chance to use it why not? I think only once recently has a worm spread through mobile devices and that was a few weeks ago in China if I remember correctly. Personally from what I have heard Mobile Malware is starting to come out quicker then it has in the past but its not as bad as regular PC's (yet).

5. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Because the Android AVs out there are either a placebo or actually malicious themselves. Even the established ones like Lookout slow your phone down pretty bad and have no real benefit to running it.

6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I don't think antivirus is needed for any mobile device no matter the OS but a security product that will protect your phone from stealing some data and software that will alarm you if a phone has been stolen (e.g. send you SMS , email , etc.)

7. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

definitely no
    its not the time to burden ur phone

8. simisg

simisg Registered Member

dr.web has a free antivirus ......for android

9. silentfornow

silentfornow Registered Member

I have tried Norton's, AVG (who just bought out a android security co) and Lookout just to name a few. I just put on Webroot's contribution. It is free, and it has apart from the AV side, a locate function, wipe and lock. It's pinging on the superuser app but, if you phone is not rooted like mine, it works a charm. The competition is heating up, and if 300,000 daily activations are real, then malware is just around the corner.

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Android antivirus is not needed because of android viruses more likely for privacy threats. I dont know all android antiviruses but ESET and Norton has a feature to lock your android phone and erase all data if its stolen. This is good if you keep sensitive data on your android phone.

11. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i got a free license for wavesecure during the summer. i'm pretty impressed by it. they've improved it quite a lot in just the time i've used it. supports remote lock, remote wipe, location, sms/photo/video backup. it also has a separate component you can install to make it "device administrator", which means someone can't easily remove it, especially if you remote lock it or lock on sim removal (if your device is GSM)

no antivirus though, since i don't personally see any reason for it.

12. acr1965

OK thanks for the info everyone. This gives me some things to consider.

13. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

F-Secure also provides Anti-Virus for Android phones.

14. fax

fax Registered Member

Using DroidSecurity licensed (now AVG) on a Galaxy S phone, nice features (e.g. locate/lock/wipe phone remotely) and more to come... not bad overall.

15. acr1965

I suppose the remote lock and locate seem pretty important. The online backup feature is nice as well. Do any of the ones already mentioned cause any system drag or performance hit?

16. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i've used lookout and wavesecure, and didn't notice any performance hit with either (HTC EVO, 2.2)

17. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I know someone who just purchased an Android Phone and she wants an Anti-Malware application which is free. Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of free ones.

I have seen that DrWeb has one in Beta Testing. I assume that it will not be free once it gets out of Beta Testing.

Thanks in Advance.

18. TheKid7

Has anyone here used DrWeb for Android? What do you think of DrWeb for Android?

Thanks in Advance.

19. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Chekc out BluePoint Security - it is using Cloud technology to detect both Windows and Android malwares ;)

20. forty

forty Guest

BluePoint Security has a free and Pro version.

21. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

22. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

23. acr1965

24. acr1965

well after a long time of researching I decided to see how webroot would work out. there are some nice free programs but some appear to have more complaints about battery drainage and constant gps scanning than others.

25. TheKid7

How is the battery drainage and constant gps scanning with DrWeb for Android?

Thanks in Advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.