antivirus comparison chart 3/15/2004

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigc73542, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

don't know if anyone has seen this so I posted it just for a little general knowledge

here

2. huh

huh Guest

32-bit polymorphic virus detection Trend Micro: 99%

HUH ?

3. bigc73542

best overall score-mcafee internet security

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And where are the test-conditions, descriptions about what has been tested, how it has been tested, etc etc....

Since when are we saying "hey look, wow, those apps are been tested, see, this is the best"?

Am I missing something?
    Are my bad eyes fooling me once again?

5. bigc73542

Don't really care about the parameters of the test. If you would have read my post a little better it said just for general knowledge. Not everyone takes all test results as gospel, especially from pc world.

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I don't put much stock in what PcWorld has to say after the Rosenthal Utility fiasco and the altering viral code incident. Additionally,Trend is not the best performer in that graph and yet they give it their "Best Buy" and therefore best protection when it clearly isn't even by their own test. Sounds like advertising money played some factor as well. Just my 2 cents.

Editted to add; Good point bigc, I was typing as you answered.

7. bigc73542

I fully agree that there must have been a little footsie going on under the corporate table.

8. flyrfan111

Now you got me going bigc, studying the graph some more I think some thing was wrong with the test set. Every AV has FP's but Trend Micro, NOD and Panda which are known for very few FPs have the most, 31 and 23 respectively, sounds fishy to me.

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Eh....? ? ?

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Prove it, or otherwise refrain from such a statement !

11. bigc73542

fanj I have seen you jump on people on this forum before but you can stay off of my back I dont need your input on anything. and anything I posted about pcworld is not an accusation but my own personal opinion. And the last time I looked it was not a crime to have an opinion.

12. flyrfan111

Ahh, Ok, Let's look column by column, in over all malware detection NOD, McAfee, and Symantec all detect more than Trend, Panda ties it. FPs Trend wins as mentioned in my earlier post. In 32 bit malware again NOD, McAfee and Symantec beat Trend and Panda ties. In Trojan Horse McAfee and Symantec win with TM in 3rd. Polymorphs again Symantec and McAfee win with TM in 3rd. Backdoor TM gets a 6th place and VBS detection is a 6 way tie. The only category in which TM detects everything it garners a 6 way tie. Now how is that representative of a product that is better than the other 5? Seems to me the best TM could possibly hope for is 3rd maybe 4th(based on this test anyway)

13. bigc73542

It is a little confusing isn't it, makes you wonder.

14. flyrfan111

Whats with Fanj? We can't have opinions? The facts as I see them don't support the conclusion they came to. Is he related to President Bush?

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If we don't stir the pot, it will come off the boil ;) :D

Cheers :D

16. flyrfan111

Sorry buddy, I thought he was being alittle unreasonable. There was no need to jump all over bigc like he did

17. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Better than being like Senator Kerry who is not bound by facts in the first place!

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

First put words into bigc's post, then scold him for those words. Hmmm:p

By the way -- bigc, thanks for the link. I found it interesting.

19. flyrfan111

Like Bush is the answer to the War on Terrorism? For National Security? gimme a break. Bin Laden's dream is to sit back and watch as the USA crumbles from within financially and ecomnomically as the Soviet Union did/is. To have ourselves destroy the country for him. Well, Allah answered his prayers and gave him George W.(which stands for WRONG btw) Bush who has managed to spend almost a trillion dollars in just under 4 years. While we may not know if Kerry will do things wrong and screw up the world, we DO know that Bush is more than capable of the feat. Do you really think we are safer?

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Please keep on topic, antivirus test is the subject.

21. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Panda & Trend have good polymorphic detection?

Just replicate a 1000 *working* samples of each ZMist.D, some Bolzano variants, Etap, Volcano or others and test them against these samples... Surprise surprise...

22. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

PC World = Pathetic :p

23. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I remember this discussion getting very heated when it first came out back in March/April time and the comment then was where is the acknowledged leader in malware detections? KAPERSKY !!!

I am not saying that KAV always detects everything, but there isn't much that slips past it unlike Norton & Trend etc

just take a look at any HJT log with problems the usual antiviruses are McCrappy, Norton, Trend or AVG & Avast

I see almost no HJT logs that have any viral infection using KAV or NOD

Whether it's that they are really good AV's or whether it's the fact that users of those AV's are likely to be more security conscious so take precautions to stop malware in the first place

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wouldn't say the same for McAfee. It has its flaws,but in general its next to the Kaspersky when it comes to overall detecton.

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I admit and confess : I definitely should have worded my postings in another way :oops:
    The way I did it, was not very nice...
    My sincere apologies to you BigC !!!!!

Warm regards, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.