antivirus and windows update software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bob_man_uk, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

hello again it me the person who keeps asking for software that doesnt exist (cough) ok then.

this time im after an antivirus program that will also download and update patches for/on a windows machine. first question does it exist? second what is it? third, where can i get hold of it?.

ive tried opswat and have been pleased with the results BUT it wont download the updates for antivirus software. the reason i ask is because with more and more vulnerabilities being exploited with windows nt machines, korgo was our biggest killer with only a weeks down time costing us around 5 thousand pounds in total for third party companies to help with cleaning up and the extra time staff have been asked to do so something like the described above would be a dead cert.

thanks for your help

matty G

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

why don't you use the Windows Updater to keep yourself up-to-date? you can try Panda IS but it won't download and install the patches.

3. bob_man_uk

lets just say windows is a pain in the you know where, my machine is windows 2000 auto update is turned off, i cant turn it back on because it isnt a service on administrative tools, we have set up a sus server but this is purely experimental and i am unable to see if i am being patched.

4. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Search your local machine for a file called "Windows Update.log", this will tell you if your being patched & by what SUS server. If you can't adjust your windows update settings, you must controlling it through group policy. You'll have to make any changes in your gp.
    Sorry if OT but hopefully informational...

5. bob_man_uk

the log file just has a long list of errors "unable to connect to server http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/" no downloads or any thing

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

not sure if Iv got the drift of this convo right .. but for updates i use "bigfix" http://www.bigfix.com/download/download.html As I use firefox it comes in handy as i dont have to crank up IE nor do i have to visit windows update any more . however it is still necesary to have ie on the pc as far as I know .

7. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.