Antivirus and other malware softs examine packed files

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acc001, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acc001

acc001 Registered Member

I was reading this from years ago, i found on a google link.

Do todays current av and all other malware checking softwares. Have abilities to check packed archives, installers, runtime or other.

And how good are they, for instance some softwares can look into zip or rar files. But cannot look an archive packed inside another. Multi packed archive deep, which many archives are packed as.

Is there a current list, that shows all softwares. And which have the abilities to do this. We are all at risk if these softwares cannot do this, and they should.

Its no good saying xy or z can upack this or that, though it is a good start. But can they unpack for example an installer packed with upx, further packed with another exe pe packer.

ATM i'm looking at Super (converter software) i got it as a rar file, as the Super site likes to mess around.

Rar unpacked > Super Setup.exe (upx) > Super Setup.exe (tElock 0.9 - 1.0 (private) tE (overlay)

And possibly further packed!!, i'd say hardly any, if any protection softwares can unpack this, to check it, but they should be able to. Its not as if these packers were just made, they have been around for a long time.

It reminds me of my amiga days when Georg Hormann and others had similar problems with their av softwares. Mr Hormann built a reliable unpacker to deal with the xfdmaster.library, and more enabling his av to check any archive. Xfd is good still today proven the test of time. It worked with slaves which were only a few k in size. These are for the decompression routines of each packer , anyone could write a decompressor. But wasn't able to be abused, somehow.. (Dirk Stocker now codes the xfdmaster.libaray).

I cannot think why something like this hasn't been done on win os platform and others. Sure there are some soft only unpackers, but nothing remotely compared to what the amiga has.

I don't know if devs these forums, but maybe they could check out what the amiga had. Or maybe someone could talk to Dirk Stocker or Georg Hormann and come up with a windows os sollution. A sollution that could be code transfered for other platforms in time. Hoping something could be made possible. For all our todays and future, computing safely.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Maybe av-comparatives has some information about this.

I seem to remember that Avira was/is good at unpacking.

3. subset

subset Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.