AntiViri PE? McAfee AV needs to go!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is your peragative, but I am and have been very satisfied with the way their system works. and by the way, I don't get but maybe one or two spam emails on my four pop3 emails a week. I wish my web mail accounts were that clean.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I used to get hundreds of spam per day, sometimes 1000+.
    Have not checked count recently.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Howard and BigC,
    Thank you for the posts to this thread. It is o.k. by me to drift a little on this thread as I do not think AntiViri has email scanning per say. And BigC's postings make me feel even better.

Seems that BigC's experience is the same as mine. My ISP does a fine job of keeping me clean of virus and spam. My spam counts run two or three a month:)

Although let me share this experience with you.

My Main user account name that I set up when I first signed up with the ISP which is my medium secure. Another words I was a little careful about who I gave it out to, to send me emails and such. I'll call this email account for purposes of example "Mainoriginal". Then there was the second email account we will call this one "anything goes" this one I freely give out to lots of people online newsletter and so on. You understand by the name in this example. :D Then I have a third email account a very secure account very few get this email address we will call this one "tight biz only"

Well here is what happened over time and only within the last year or so this account recently started to get more and more spam sometimes 12 to 15 a day, very plain stuff from weird address names mostly selling stuff.

Which account was it coming into would you think? If you guess "anything goes" you ARE WRONG. It was "Mainoriginal".

My understanding about this is (and someone feel free to help me on this) is that when you surf the net the "Mainoriginal" name and internet address is availiable to be seen by some. Some how, (and again experts will have to address the specifics), they see you and now know where and how to spam you.

Here is how I solved it. Using my ISP tools I blocked all incoming email coming to "Mainoriginal" account except for a select few addresses and stopped giving that one out at all any more. "anything goes" is still used extensively and still I only recieve a few spams a month. "Tight biz only" literally spam free! ;)

I got my first clue about all this one day when on line I noted a message that said "you are Mainoriginal at Comcast your IP address is so and so... now how secure do you feel". It was harmless he was just attempting to make a point that was all. I was not surprised even though I had firewall and all. :p

One final point. No one loves their freedoms more then I do, but you do agree to certain terms when you sign on with the ISP. They are responsible for keeping their network clean and functional for all users so they have a right to take some liberty in blocking and controling stuff for the benefit of all. As BigC says it works rather well. :thumb: ;)

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Here's another consideration for you. I think you would be just fine with Bit Defender free and BoClean. I used Bit Defender free as my sole AV for two years on my XP box. It is an on demand scanner only. That works just fine though for someone who practices "safe hex" and uses Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey primarily. I too have an ISP who has been scanning ALL incoming and outgoing mail for three years now. They do an excellent job and if something were to get by Symantec corporate that they use on the mail gateways, I always save attachments to disk and then scan with my AV which used to be Bit Defender free version and that will catch anything my ISP's scanner may have missed. I also have a dslreports email account for a couple of years now and they also scan all incoming mail so I was never worried when using BD free about getting infected mail. I currently have BD free on my old 98SE box and it works great. It auto updates several times a day. I think trojans and other stuff that BoClean will catch are more of a worry than viruses for those who are safe surfers.

5. mercurie

Thanks to all for the replys. I have been using AntiViri for several days now. Works fine.

NO update problems at all. Speedy on broadband and no hangs. Note it does update at about 3:00 A.M. in morning here in the USA. That may have something to do with it. :doubt:

Has a nice clean interface with clear indicators. Not cluttered like some.

One Con: Notifier thing is a pain in the rear feathers. :D Notifier does not interfer with updater just a 'commercial".

But for good free AV :blink: who can complain. :thumb:

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mercurie, the way around the notifier pain is to stop it from executing. On a Win2k system, all you need to do is change the file 'avnotify.exe' security properties to deny execution. I've done it here with success and no more notifier. On XP it may be different though, I'm not sure. You could also use something like SSM to block execution of 'avnotify.exe'. At any rate, that's the key.

7. mercurie

Thanks Kerodo for the suggestion.

I'll tinker around and figure it out. ;)

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recommend OnlineArmor AV+ (which includes Kaspersky AV). It's light, & it covers a very broad spectrum of threats, including zero-day.

As to Vista -- I've heard from several folks I respect that it wouldn't be a good idea to buy/use that OS until it has been released and in general use for at least 14 months or so. In other words, tomodachi Mercurie, if you decide to PAY for a really good AV, you should easily be able to get a full year's use out of it before Vista comes along.

As to waiting for Vista -- I'm doing some serious testing in preparation for possibly moving over to Linux. By using the Live CDs (free, safe, painless) I've discovered that certain Linux distros are even easier to install & use than XP.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to stop the notifier you just put it in a winrar archine

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've always used avg free on lower spec machines with no problems. But Antivir PE is also an excellent program. Probably not as light as AVG imo but very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.