antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I can conclude by your words that AntiVir should only protect us against VIRUS, and not against trojans, worms, dialers, keyloggers, etc...
    Why not add another type of Malware?
    If spyware wasn't so bad, they would not add it on its others versions...

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

...Cause I got BoClean for that... ;) And SpyBot for less harmful pests that are not considered a real threat by BoClean :)

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

And for the users that doesn't have the chance to buy a program?
    You can't think only about you... ;)

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Well you are correct there. I have always suggested if you only have enough $$ to buy AV, and not Trojan Killer/SpyHunter (generically speaking) you must make a decision.

Spend all $$ in one app. my suggestion would be KAV or Command AV, Dr. Web and others who have good detections of both Virus and Trojans. As to Spyware at this point I would be using MS AntiSpy if you are comforatable with beta.

OR
    Use one of the free AV and spend the rest on BoClean (or one of the others I prefer BoClean) Spyware again MS AntiSpy.

I total agree there is a real need for some free Trojan Killer in the market, but there just is not any. :'(

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AVPEC does quite well in protecting its users from *true malware* -- trojans, worms, viruses, et alia. But spyware is another thing entirely.

As is demonstrated by KAV, when an AV branches heavily into protecting against spyware, keyloggers, crapware, unprivacyware, annoyware, etc, the AV's real-time monitor causes a much heavier drag on system resources. KAV does a splendid job as all-around protection against *pretty much whatever* -- but at a price -- both in dollars to be paid, and in imposing a drag on one's computer.

As cpu's get faster & faster, & become universally 64bit, dual core, etc -- the heaviness of an AV will become less & less of an issue. But I'm not at that stage yet. Neither are many others.

6. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Those who follow the ten-forward threads will by now have seen that the Wildman has a new machine. This new machine has much more memory and a much bigger disk drive than my previous one.

I have installed AVG on this new machine, and it is working like a charm.

I have my doubts as to if H+BEDV will ever get it's act together and bring out a new updater for Windows. I hope it does, but I don't think I'll be using it even if it does. I hope for the sake of those who have machines with limited memory capacity that this does happen however.

For those who have machines with larger memory capacity, AVG is worth looking at. In my opinion it is the easiest to use an maintain of any of the freeware products currently available.

Does this mean that the Wildman is going to stop lambasting H+BEDV? I don't yet know, their outright arrogance has annoyed the Wildman for a few years now!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja: :doubt:

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

avast! HE doesn't work well on your new machine?

8. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: It was a toss up between AVAST and AVG. I went with AVG as I think it is the easier of the two to maintain and install. I have nothing against AVAST, but it is not the one for me.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :eek: :p

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK, I think that avast! is better than AVG in all the aspects, but the decision is yours... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.