Antivir updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by joter, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joter

joter Registered Member

Does anybody know why Antivir updates have so many signatures during the last days? maybe 2.000 every day.
    Last one reports 307.337 virus strains and unwanted programs.
    I have also noticed that Premium edition updates to V.6.33.00.209 but at the same time, Free Edition has older definitions V.6.33.00.202.

Regards
    joter

2. Unity

Unity Registered Member

hmm dunno what you are talking about.

Here is what i can read on the Antivir website :

Code:
    Windows (98/ME/NT/2000/XP) - AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

Program-Release: 	    	6.32.00.51
    VDF-Version: 	6.33.00.209
    Date/Time: 	02-06-2006 , 14:44:37
    File Information: 	avwinsfx.exe (8,86 MByte )

3. joter

joter Registered Member

Maybe the free Personal Edition does not update well, on a sytem of mine.

Regards
    joter

4. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

Just updated to V6.33.00.210 but the updater said earlier today there where no updates available.
    Maybe the paid version gets updates first.

5. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

There seems to be a discrepancy; the AntiVir P.E. site *had* quit showing updates on January 30th since the merger with AVIRA and I was using AVIRA site to post updates for the both of them. Now suddenly the Antivir P.E. site is showing current update information again but they disagree with one another:

and:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  6. joter

joter Registered Member

Because that was not happened a few weeks ago, maybe the large traffic of the update servers is responsible for this.

But I can not explain the so many new signatures during last days. Maybe they are Adware definitions? If Stefan Kurtzhals could answer to this...

Regards
    joter

7. shek

shek Registered Member

Maybe the huge updates are for the February AV on-demand tests from av-comparatives.org . and nod32 also had the similar phenomenon in the past week.

8. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Avira does not use incremental VDFs, the versioning is different there. If you compare the number of signatures though, you will see they are identical.

9. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

Is good to be protected with extra updates, or is that something complain about too?
    The new antivir works well on my pc.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVIRA does have incremental updates, and I don't see why the version numbers should be so different.... :doubt:

11. FRug

FRug Registered Member

The version number listed is from the static VDF, it doesn't matter whether they 'support' incremental VDFs at all. It is the same with AntiVir Professional. These can be different (in fact have differed even in major version numbers) in the past (for example 6.31.14.10 vs 6.31.1.212). They still have the exact same detection!

12. joter

joter Registered Member

Nobody has been complained, just wondering.
    The new antivir works better on mine.:D

Regards
    joter

13. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Questions about AV6/7.

I can't figure out why my VDF file and AVrep.dll are still earlier versions after frequent updates over the last week, even after daily reboots ? I used to get a message box after the DL's had finished asking if i wanted to reboot, but don't anymore ? I've also noticed that i always seem to get 3 DL's one after the other when i update, though only 2 are actually shown as in the screen shot, and the size of all 3 files is always identical even after different DL's ?

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6656/avud18hy.png

Both the Program and Scan engine get updated though ! I'm still on AV6 after uninstalling AV7.

On here http://www.free-av.com/ it says this.

Download of the new AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
    To download the new AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic for Windows 98/ME and Windows NT/2000/XP, please visit our download page.

On the DL page is all this.

Windows (98/ME/NT/2000/XP) - AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

Program-Release: 6.32.00.51
    VDF-Version: 6.33.00.214
    Date/Time: 02-07-2006 , 14:05:30
    File Information: avwinsfx.exe (8,88 MByte )

Please click on the AntiVir logo or mirror Link to start the download.

Version 7 NT/2000/XP
    Version 7 9x/ME

ftp download mirror 5 (it)
    Version 7 NT/2000/XP
    Version 7 9x/ME

ftp download mirror 3 (tw)
    Version 7 NT/2000/XP
    Version 7 9x/ME

download mirror 6 (jp) Version 7 download mirror 7 (com) Version 7

download mirror 4 (fr) Version 7

Info:
    User Guide - AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, version 7

Why is it showing the Program-Release etc as v6 if it's supposed to be the new v7 ?

StevieO

14. LambChop

LambChop Registered Member

Questions like the ones you have posted are just not getting quality or even polite answers! :mad:

The tone becomes negative and agressive towards those asking similar questions. :doubt:

When I finally gave up on attempting to update my version 6 -- I downloaded the version 7 -- but, that darn 'nag' screen drove my nuts -- so, I would not let it activate -- at which point I would wait as long as 12 - 14 minutes as the server numbers changed in mass -- after enough bricks had hit my head -- it came to me that without that darn 'nag' screen going -- there were not going to be any more updates!

Because I come from rather hard-headed stock, my workaround -- was to simply download the new updated version -- uninstall, and re-install -- it worked, but it was a huge pain in the padding!:mad:

So, I just packed it in and went over and downloaded AVAST -- which for me is a total nightmare -- because I no longer have a boot scan!

Win98se is not one of the versions of windows that is entitled to have a boot scan with AVAST! :doubt:

But, what good is an antivirus program that will not update? o_O :eek:

If I were to say what I really think of all this -- I would most likely be kicked off this forum -- and I just got here -- so, :blink:

My gut feeling is --- you are just going to have to pack it in and join the rest of us now!
    Best of Luck to you!
    :)

15. wildman

wildman Registered Member

;) Do go over to the AVAST forum and ask for their assistance. They appear to be a friendly and helpful bunch. I had a duce of a time the first time I tried to use the product, became so frustrated I swore I'd never touch it again. Well I learned, time went by and helpful and generous folks have made me a believer in AVAST. Just for your info. I was once this passionate about AntiVir also, but they frankly just did not fulfill what they were always hinting at in my opinion, tried to play cute about it and tried to convince everyone that they were going to have it resolved at any time now. Well years later one still reads to many negative post about what AntiVir hasn't yet accomplished.

Thanks
    Wildman

16. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Quote from the Main Page of Antivir:

"Because of maintenance jobs on the download servers
    the automatic upgrade to version 7 is suspended for a short period." This should answer your AV6/AV7 upgrade question, no?

And I have given you the answer to the VDF version question TWICE already.

So you have answers to both of your questions, you just chose to ignore them.

90% of peole complain about the same ****, like can't remove registry keys of av6. Well the answers have been posted MANY times on the av6 forums ("DEACTIVATE YOUR TEATIMER!"), yet people ask over and over again, and simply do not understand that it is Spybot that is preventing them to successfully alter their registry.

How about reading announcements on the main page instead of asking questions in a dozen different forums? Sheeesh....

Yes, my tone becomes aggressive when I see I have wasted precious time trying to help someone and he simply ignores whatever I write to go on ranting about the same thing over and over again. For heavens sake why do you ask questions if you ignore the answer? Is it that much fun?

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Nobody has run on over the line here so far - but I thought I felt enough "charge" in this thread that I'll go ahead and interject a "let's make sure to keep it all from turning personal etc..."

That said, let the discussion continue, gents and ladies :cool:

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I guess people ask over and over again because the whole episode with antivir 7 is a shambles,and looking at the antivir webpages are pointless.For example is version 7 beta or not?.This antivir page says it is....
    http://www.free-av.com/antivirclassic/heuristik2.html
    If it is still a beta why are users forced to download it?.
    ellison

19. shek

shek Registered Member

antivir 7 final version is out, but lots of problems need to be fixed. that's why they stop forcing users to upgrade to version7. the beta is for its heuristic engine. you'd better to go through www.free-av.com again.

antivir never forced me to download its beta heuristic engine, which had lots of false positives in the last several version. But the latest build works pretty well on my machine and there is no more FPs.

btw, antivir released a new build yesterday to solve the avguard.exe freezing problem. So far so good. Now, I am a happy antivir user again.

regards,

shek

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  20. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O Another question: Why should this question be necessary to ask in the first place? Perhaps a better way to put it. Why has no action been taken to have made this question unnecessary to ask in the first place, or to continue to have to ask it? Is this yet more examples of how H+BEDV can not get anything accomplished except perhaps some good results on some tests? How good is that if you continue to not know from one day to the next if you will be able to obtain the updates or not? Why do so many of you continue to put up with this year after year?

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :gack: :shifty: :isay:

21. shek

shek Registered Member

I have seen the progress and efforts made by antivir team. Many bugs i found in the version 7 and FPs from its beta engine have been fixed. Now Antivir 7 works much better than last several builds. Although there are still many issues needed to be solved, I will continue to use it, because it is a promising product. Moreover, since it is free of charge, why not be patient and see what's going on, if you don't want to submit bug reports, virus samples, false positives? I know people's experience might vary and for wildman it is really bad. but one thing couldn't be ignored is experiences from majority. if antivir was terrible, how come so many people still use it, even its servers always overloaded? why don't they switch to avast, avg or etrust?

the current situation for antivir 7 is similar to zone alarm 5 when it just released. I am pretty sure antivir will gain users' support again.

regards,

shek

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree that it is a nice product, but free of charge? Not quite. You have to put up with that idiotic nag screen, so to me, that's not quite free.

23. shek

shek Registered Member

Did you pay anything for the antivir pe? if not, why it is not free? In terms of the popup screen, it is not a good strategy. if it really bothers you, there is a discussion in another thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=118941, you could take a look at it.

However, the antivir team has to make a living, so why not give them a support, since you are using a good product?

regards,

shek

24. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

A very good question, probably because most doesn't have the view on AntiVir that Wildman has and actually appreciate that some AV vendors put out a free choice and because it has a better performance than Avast on their hardware/software combo.

I would personally use AntiVir, if i had to use a free AV.

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I know that the heuristic 2 engine is still beta ,however if you read the whole link it says that antivir 7 is also still beta.Thats what i was pointing out, to Frug.That just going to antivir webpages for info is pointless ,because they are obviously not kept up to date, and give conflicting information.Antivir 7 being out of beta ,but with many problems still to be fixed is a little contradictory to me.If your a beta tester shek then maybe you can tell me when the config screen is going to be fixed ,to actually fit on a 800x600 w98 screen?I have asked at various forums and emailed hebedv (im a premium user) howver all i hear is the sound of silence, or the derogatory remark that its on the "wishlist".
    ellison

ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.