AntiVir update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by I who know nothing, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hey bruddah, check THIS AV test. Yu gawn sea dat AVPE is dodgosted gud, by gar! :cool:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Topper :) . i think someone tried to post a HJT log with that exploit the other day. i did an online scan afew days ago and turned off antivir, and forgot to turn it back on for a few hours. i feel like reformating now. :mad:

3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D Bellgamin: Mine dutche ist nix gout. Das ist alas.

Danke
    wildman
    :ninja:

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

So I can conclude that with the newer version of AVG Free, the increasing order about the free AV's recources are:

1. AntiVir PE
    2. AVG FE
    3. avast! HE

Right?

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

In my mind any av deserves 100 % detecting rate, not even KAV.

When I last time counted manually the number of Rokop site tests sample numbers, I got a rough 800 samples in Rokop 5-2004. If the number hasn't increased remarkably, that doesn't be enough.

I checked out a minimum number of RANDOMLY picked all kind of nasties to clarify the overall zoo test sample size, it's about 2400 samples, when Precision/Accuracy Level is 2 % in detecting rate and Reliability/Confidence Level of the test is 95 %.

Randomness includes the priority to most common infections first, Trojan like nasties, then Worms, then Script like nasties and so on, about the same order that was in the numbers of DrWeb's new definition classes during the first two months this year.

http://www.dials.ru/english/inf/news.php?id=733

And finally about AntiVir, it really scores a bit better against viruses than Avast, but Avast has better detection against Trojan like nasties, when we don't check runtime packed nasties. The overall detection is better with Avast than AntiVir. The biggest problem with AntiVir is the lack to detect Exploits properly. Not at all dial-up PC users have the opportunity to update Windows properly, that costs when you have AntiVir as your realtime av.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. wildman

"Not at all dial-up PC users have the opportunity to update Windows properly, that costs when you have AntiVir as your realtime av."

o_O Could you expand upon this comment please. I use Windows98 and have kept it as up to date as is possible.

I have had no trouble with the AntiVir/PE program as such. I do state that the method to obtain and maintain this product is abysmal however. I also think the AntiVir/PE forum is one of the poorest on the net.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: :p

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

8. Firefighter

Firstly, it cost a lot in your phone bill, secondly, have you ever seen a properly (= safe) patched Windows? :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. Firefighter

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! slow down machine? Thats very unusual!? I noticed slowdown only on a prehistoric machine with Windows 98. NT based OS handles avast! much better and there is also a better support for it.

11. wildman

o_O Unless someone comes up with a better free virus protection program, that works well on Windows98 and does not degrade the speed of ones machine, this will be my order of things. I am not that happy about this turn of events, but I must take what works for me.

I am on the look out for new and better free virus protection programs however. If anyone knows of such things, please post that information here.

Thanks
    wildman
    :eek: :(

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You already have them... AntiVir PE and avast! HE are excellent free AV's...
    I prefer the avast! because of his options, but AntiVir is very nice for older's PC because use very low resources...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.