Antivir removed freeware version?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TECHWG, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I just downloaded and installed this like i always did, and it says its expired since 2 month ago or something and will not let me update ? WTFF

Attached Files:

• WTFF.JPG
      WTFF.JPG
      File size:
      48.6 KB
      Views:
  2. FRug

FRug Registered Member

you downloaded from an outdated mirror

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Try downloading directly from Avira . Reinstall after that .

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Netgative . . just downloaded direct off their site. and reinstalled again and got this :

Attached Files:

• offs.JPG
      offs.JPG
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:
  5. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

This is FREEWARE why does it require any kind of key ? i did not download the pro version i downloaded the freeeware version. So why does a freeware version ever require any kind of key ? rediculous. i guess i have to find another software thats better but i dont know of many freeware antivirus left. Avast slowed me down and my internet connection went all but halt and now with antivir i cant even update it. What the hell is going on? am i out of the loop on some bloody iluminati "lets cause disruption and mayhem" day ?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its software against techwg day!:D
    anyway you should email avira support or post on there forums.
    lodore

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Now the website is down for anti vir . . Can this day get any worse ? Perhaps someone might attempt to burgle me or i get struck by lightening or i slip on a sign what says "Please dont slip . ." I mean this is worse than i have ever had in years for back luck. For those of you who seen "the one" with jet li, i think there is another me in the multi-verse . . (another universe) and hes breaking mirrors, then going to the other universes and breaking more mirrors, and now he came here and broke some and its affecting all the other Me's and thats the only possible explaination :D

8. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

ok i am using avast with all the crap-doody modules installed. All i need is a antivirus to scan files as they are accessed and created/modified etc. My god what a short marathon this has been but things can only get better . . . so the song lyrics go . .

9. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

From the Avira forum, see this:
    http://forum.antivir.de/thread.php?threadid=14348

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Sooner or later you had to come home:)
    Welcome back to Avast!
    I know it's a hungry bastard sometimes, but limit the shields...

11. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

well my preference is NOD, but i like to get around and test others. So i am avoiding nod32 until i have been around the block again with others. Avast is ok but all those shields are so un-needed. All ya need it to scan files as they are created/modified and accessed.

12. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Avira's server and all mirrors at this point in time still have the outdated 7.00.00.47 version which has the expired key.

Unfortunately you will have to wait until they do that. This usually doesn't happen.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Avast Home is my fall-back AV. However it does require some sort of registration. I think it lasts for about 18 months, but it is still licensed to update. If I am incorrect let me know. I have not used it in several months.

Best,
    Jerry

14. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

yes you are correct. I am really tired of seeing freeware that requires licencing, but i can deal with it. However i would like to think that would be a lifetime licence. I dont understand it says "expiration never" but says "updates expire 1 may 2007" so then does it become freeware that you are not alowed to update ? very confusing. In that case i would just register with a new email and get a new code. since i have changed my email reacently anyway to googlemail.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am not sure why they do require licensing, either. However, I do not resent the fact that they do so when considering they are providing a good product free of charge. I guess I am not expecting to get a golden egg without some concession. I have the right not to accept their freebies. :D

I have no objection to licensing the paid versions, and it is a bonus when free ones are provided license or no license.

I am as puzzled when one uses the free version, and then bashes it as a poor product. o_O

Regards,
    Jerry

16. DaveD

DaveD Guest

The licencing is annoying, but think of it this way... Let's assume that a certain security software company goes bankrupt and cannot financially afford to continue developing or supporting the product, especially referring to a free product. If they have a 3 month licence, for example, at least they would only be obligated to provide virus defs for the remainder of that time. But then again, things of that nature are usually included in the EULA anyways.

But that is the way I think of it. It is annoying, but what can you do...

17. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

very true. absolutly nothing anyone can do. Its all upto the developers. As in Comodo, i guessed either 2 things. 1) they want to get an acurate depiction of how many users they have using comodo firewall 2) the have the option to charge for it or have a more advanced version and charge since the licence "scheem" is implimented already then its easy to impliment.

18. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Your free Avast does not require a key?
    AVS,Antivir,Avast,all of them require a key.Only AVG Free doesn't.

19. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I don't trust the way Comodo does it. I mean, it goes through a secure form and comes to a page saying $0.00 for your "order" and comes with a transaction number and such. It certainly makes me wonder. They will probably end up like ZoneAlarm, with a free version plus a pro version.

20. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Well in Avast case they do it because they want to know how many people are using & renewing their AV. Nothing wrong with that.

AntiVir should keep the mirrors up to date, they don't and its been that way for awhile :rolleyes:

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Feel free to suspect anything. But they guarantee it's free for life.

Saying it's $0.00 means it's $0.00. What's your point?

22. DaveD

DaveD Guest

My point is... Why would they go through the effort of creating a very professional, sophisticated online transaction and tracking system for software that is free?

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized that they have lots of other software products that are not free. So it makes sense to me that they would use the same system.

However, I still can't see how any company could offer a free "lifetime license".
    Does that mean if they go bankrupt that they must continue providing updates and support?

Things that are free in life don't always last forever, that's for sure. Just wait until Comodo gains more popularity with their Antivirus when it comes out of Beta. And their firewall continues to gain more success. Cha Ching...

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Their current main business is

"authenticating web business with SSL certificates (e.g. we put the padlock on websites). The more consumers are comfortable being online and shopping online, the more businesses that will be created that will need our services.

It's the ultimate win/ win.

Consumers get business class desktop security solutions for free, emerchants get a new, growing pool of confident online customers and Comodo gets to sell our technologies and services to all these eMerchants.
    "

If they go bankrupt, they don't have to support it of course. That would mean that Comodo is no more.

However they are trying to expand business opportunities, and there is even a thread where they ask for your suggestions as to how they would make more dough:D . People respond positively to motivate the support and development of free utilities like the AV and FW. Not directly related to the apps, like freakin adds bundled with them. Other things that would really have value to the consumer.

I'm not with the Comodo Group, so i can't guarantee anything. But i don't have any reason to think they'll make a paid version. Even if they would, just this FW model with continuous improvements is great.

Edit: As this is OT, to end this, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=157882 .

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i got my free digital ID from comodo it was a offer on the ms office site.
    lodore

its like active virus shield powered by kaspersky.
    aol is giving it away for free.
    but if some of the people who use this great free av like it they might decide to buy the full kav or even kis.
    lodore

~removed un-necessary whole quote of post directly above....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You've downloaded some so old version that it's inlcuded license already expired.
    Re-download it from official AVIRA webpage and reinstall it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.