Antivir Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shek

shek Registered Member

I think avira has fixed this problem already. You could download and install the latest verison from freeav.com

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

No, the EXE files that fixed the problems were pulled from the update servers because of some problem. The QA has no time to retest because they are doing final tests for the 6.35 release. So I fear you must wait until 6.35 is out (2 weeks). Sorry :-(

3. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

If you're seeking other freeware alternatives, Avast and AVG are the other main two choices out there.

Best regards...

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Stefan, so nothing will be done about updater (at all)?

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I'm using AV 6 with manual updating as a backup. Will there be any further support for the AV 6 scanning engine and Avrep.dll, or are these now things of the past?

6. Stefan Kurtzhals

Rejzor, it's not a critical bug ("showstopper"), the tray icon program is working normallly (only taking too much memory) and as I said the QA has absolutely no time left to put in an extra test. They don't allow us to put untested files online. ;-) 6.35 will be out very soon.
    If this is really bothering you, I might be able to provide a "beta" of that fixed executable on request (heuristik2 (a.t) avira.com). :)

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Will the new version of Avira in the free version scan incoming POP3?

Thanks,
    Jerry

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Few months back I saw a new Heuristics part of Antivir as beta on their site. Now I don,t see it. Anyone knows what happened to this one?

9. shek

shek Registered Member

JerryM---

I don't think avira will add this feature into its free version. But users are still pretty safe as long as the on-access scanner could catch viruses when they are written to the disk. If you really want it, you could try the premium version.

aigle---

The new heuristic engine has been integrated into the antivir 7 since February. It's really powerful based on some personal tests. And I am looking forward to the coming av-comparatives' proactive/retrospective test result.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

When I downloaded Antivir( free edition) it was still beta and not included. Does it mean it has been added now on my system by auto-update? How to know it?
    Aslo id is part of free version as well?
    Thanks.

11. shek

shek Registered Member

The heuristic engine could be updated through auto-update. You could take a look at the version of search engine( start antivir 7-> help->about->version info). The current version is 7.00.00.11

12. Stefan Kurtzhals

The new heuristic engine is included in the official released AntiVir7 Classic version since Februrar 2006 - as you soon can see in IBK's retroactive test. :D

13. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Thanks Ardvark, went with AVG(didn't need f/wall)and my security center took to it right away! Like that it scans in the background and has shield-but man is it ugly. Thanx again;)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It shows this info. I think I have the latest one! True?

Attached Files:

15. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

That is the latest version aigle :thumb:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I will be looking forward to the AVC tests.
    I will also be interested in seeing how KAV 6 fares if that version is tested.
    Right now I am using KAV6 on my desktop, and Avast Home on my laptop. On both I have Ewido which is a valuable layer for Avast I believe.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

Hi 19monty64...

My pleasure:)

Best regards...

19. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Stefan,
    it's almost 2 weeks since your post. when exactly will this problem be solved? :rolleyes: o_O o_O

20. Stefan Kurtzhals

As I said, with the release of 6.35, scheduled later this week.

21. pykko

pykko Registered Member

what will be new in 6.35? :D

22. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Got to look at all the AntiVir threads in here :)

Stefan had posted on another thread that "no longer would the Updater need to Stop and Restart the Guard on a VDF or Engine Update" seems that was taking more time than the Update itself, and was no longer necessary.

Since it has now been some seven weeks since the huge update of 15 March, expect other issues may be dealt with, not that the 'double+ RAM consumption' has caused any slowdown of System or AntiVir on this RAM heavy D800 or the extermely RAM 'light' (71MB) Latitude LM of mine.

23. Stefan Kurtzhals

pilotart, those changes are more likely for 6.36 or 6.37.

As for the 6.35 scan engine, we improved the PE scanning speed, added more detection methods, more heuristics (html related). All the other nice stuff was already released with normal engine updates in the last weeks and nobody noticed. :rolleyes:

24. shek

shek Registered Member

Hi, Stefan,

Does avira have release notes for every major upgrade? What does the 6.35 mean? Based on the version info, almost all of the program components are in v7, except vdf, filter and updater. Even the version number of engine is v7 not 6.35 as you said.

Regards,

shek

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Oh, i forgot to ask you something Stefan. You were mentioning lack of advaced tech in AntiVir 7 in latest AV-Comparatives test (generic unpacker, emulator and stuff). Is this already included in current version or still planned (or not) for some future release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.