AntiVir pricing? Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by danny9, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Was trialing the internet suite.
    Worked well, low resource usuage.
    Almost bought it.
    But, 81.11 for 2 computers is a little steep.
    No discounts for renewals in upcoming yrs.
    I asked about this in their forums, this was the reply I got from F_A;

Antivir has the highest detection, best secured default config,very low price allready low system resources,etc,

Kinda of a smug ans? Maybe, maybe not.

Sorry, AntiVir, maybe you are the best, but not for 81.00 a year and that's if the prices don't go up. :thumbd:

Well, I have to go shopping again.;)

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't really know, but aren't all the "suites" up there in that price range?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi danny9,
    what currency is that?
    euros?
    just as a refrence i can get kis for £30 for 3 computers for a year.
    which is around 44euros.
    lodore

4. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Many are but offer discounts for extending the licence in the upcoming years from 25 to 50%:)

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Dollars! :cool:

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello again danny9,
    80dollers is around 40 UK pounds.
    i can get kis 3 user license for £30
    so yes for antivir suite 80dollers is expensive
    since antivir suite doesnt have many features yet then it seems even more expensive.
    lodore

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I don't understand what this means, please xplain.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, true, that should be a feature I would think.....

9. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

"Antivir has the highest detection, best secured default config,very low price allready low system resources,etc,"

F_A's reply to me in their forums when I questioned their costs.
    What I meant by smug was that he was overly confident. Like kids playing on the schoolgrounds saying "I'm better then you are." And since he thinks they're better then everyone else, they can do what they want.
    That was my impression of that poster, not the company.:)

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

High price aside,this renewal policy would be a deal-breaker for me.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

For one computer, for one year it is $52.15.
    It's $81.15 for THREE computers for one year. Avira doesn't have pricing for two. For two it is $104.30 per year. So, you are getting a discount by buying for three computers even if you just use it on two.

For subsequent years, you need to buy for 2 years or 3 years now. If you do that, you can get the Suite for THREE computers for $64.50 a year total (totalling $129.15 for 2 years for three computers). That's cheap if you need it for three computers. If you buy for three and just use it on two then it breaks down to $32.25 for each computer for each year when bought in advance for two years. If you actually have three computers and use it on all three and buy for two years in advance for three computers it breaks down to $21.50 per year per computer. That is cheap.

I bet the person replying to you wasn't being smug but just didn't understand that you had not figured out how to get it cheaply. If you don't want to buy two years in advance (or three) then that it is a little different and you won't get a great deal doing it that way. So, you have a legitimate complaint if you want to buy one year only and then next year, if you still like Avira, buy a a second year at a discount. Avira doesn't do that and maybe they should. But they do give great discounts if you buy more than one year in advance (especially if you need it for three computers but even just using on two it is a decent discount). That assumes you already know you want Avira for more than one year and you have the money to pay for two or three years in advance. I think they should also offer a discount if you buy for one year and are a repeat customer at the end of that year. Maybe a smaller discount than the one if you buy several years in advance but still a discount for being a loyal customer buying for a second year.

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Hi Mele20, Thanks for the response.
    You have a choice of a single licence or 1 good for 3 computers.
    No choice there, I'd buy the one for the 3 computers.
    As far as buying a licence good for 2 or 3 yrs, even though it's cheaper, I kind of doubt it.
    Things change so much and so fast now, I want the option to try something different if it comes along.
    I think you'd understand that.
    Dan :D

13. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

There are many ways to get AV or suite produxts for cheaper. I know that right now KIS is offering a 180 day free trial. Also, ESET offers student and miliary discounts. They do not offer an suite right now, but version 3 will offer both AV and suite. Then there is Dr Web's migration discount. Version 5 should be something special. The current beta, with spam protection, can be seen as going in the suite direction. Perhaps this will be true in version 5. Then there is also ebay, which offers man KIS/KAV, Norton, and Panda licences for cheap. But, as always research the seller first.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I posted an answer to you then I left and went running. I'm back and where is my post?? I don't think I forgot to post it....

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Evidently, I forgot to post this! :D

Yes, I understand. I had not read the thread at Avira forums when I posted my reply to you. (That'll teach me to be lazy). :D I read it after I posted here. I just posted in that Avira thread. I told them that individuals are not businesses and that they need to rethink how they do licensing for individuals as on computers for businesses nothing much may change for several years and it might be fine to buy three years in advance. But on personal machines, too much can change in one year so that the AV is not the best choice the next year...or the Vendor can introduce changes that make the AV incompatible with the computer. (I was thinking of my severe problems all of sudden with Bit Defender Pro when it went from 9.0 to 9.5 and I had to get rid of it. I would have been really mad if I had purchased three years of it. 9.0 worked great. 9.5 produced BSODs on boot caused by BD driver and the fix was that I had to remove Spybot and Spyware Blaster (which caused no problems with 8.0 and 9.0 just with 9.5) according to support. I didn't want to do that so I had to give up BD Pro).

I told them I would not purchase more than one year in advance and if I wanted Avira a second year I should get a loyalty discount. I also think Avira should offer some bulk discount for 2 computers, 4 computers as well as three. Why did they choose 3 for a bulk discount?

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No its not :cautious: Avira pricing is listed in Euros :shifty:

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

That was another reason I stopped using Avira. No discounts for renewals. Bad business practice I think. I mentioned this on the Avira forum, and the answer was, Avira Suite is competatively priced with other security suites. They don't get it. They don't seem to want anything to do with offering returning customers discounts to renew.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No, $. It switches to dollars when you click "buy now".

Attached Files:

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not sure about security suite, but 20€ for antivirus with such detection is really cheap.

20. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Agree. KAV for example cost more than double...

21. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

One of the reasons I'm out shopping is because of the chkdsk problem with Kav.
    As far as the money goes in comparison.
    I'm trialing FSIS. A little slow to boot and uses more processes then most but at the same time, less memory.
    Their cost for one yr. is 59.90 and the licence is good for up to 3 computers.
    Not bad at all
    Actually, this whole experience of trialing different av's, firewalls and suites has been quite a bit of fun.:D

22. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

What I would is "Competitive Upgrades".

AVIRA and F-Secure they do not have this policy.

Mike

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

59.90, i assume we're talking euros here. Thats almost like buying 3x separate single Avira licenses for each PC. So you haven't done anything really...

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

who cares what it cost, as long as it works. None of the others do.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

$59.90 is in dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.