Antivir PersonalEdition Premium and Comodo Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by richardmo, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richardmo

richardmo Registered Member

Hello,

I just installed Antivir PersonalEdition Premium and Comodo Firewall.
    Is this enough for a good protection or can you recommend me also other programs to protect my laptop.

Thank you.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You should be fine depending on your web surfing habbits No security solution Is perfect but If your not careless and use some common sense you should be ok. Avira and comodo are very good products but You may want to consider some added spyware protection, There are some free alternative that work well.you can always do a online scan from time to time just to be sure.best regards Dave

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi richardmo,
    I'm sure there will potentially be a large number of good and valid recommendations. (I could even make a few myself.)
    Whether or not they would be applicable to your situation is another matter.
    What sort of web surfer are you? High, medium or low-risk? And do you know?
    How much do you know about computers? eg: can you confidently answer pop-ups from, say, a firewall (and Comodo gives a few while it's bedding down) and know what they mean? How are you getting on with the "Defense+" component (if active)?
    What operating system is it?
    Avira has a good reputation, and always scores rather well at avcomparatives.org. Comodo is considered a good firewall. You should be fine, there, as far as that goes.
    There are all sorts of other options, such as virtualisation, imaging, HIPS, etc, that I am barely qualified to comment on. (But there are a lot of members here who most definitely are.) Different approaches might need certain levels of user ability/knowledge, and some programs might not work with some operating systems.
    Amongst the better of the approaches includes a bit of knowledge about what is safe to do/click on etc, ie, becoming a safe surfer, which is entirely possible even if visiting the "dark side" occasionally. (Depending on how dark, of course.) It's a bit like the old argument about guns: They don't kill people; people kill people. (And very occasionally they go off by themselves.)
    Lastly, I would suggest that whatever you end up with/decide to do, you backup important data etc to an external medium from time to time. Back up whatever you would not want to loose if, say, your hard drive was wiped.

4. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

You have picked two excellent products that offer excellent protection, you should be very secure with these choices.

:)

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Maybe your computer will run better with defense+ off.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I am using the Avira Security Suite as opposed to just the standard AV primarily because of the spam filter (the spam filter is excellent contrary to some reviews-much better than Cloudmark or anything else we have tested). I do not use the Avira firewall, but instead use the newest version of Comodo (defense+ off) and WinPatrol Plus. Have never had a virus on 76 computers running 16 hours a day.

Even just Avira standard with Comodo should afford you state of the art protection with a minimal use of resources.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I have Avira PE Premium, Comodo V3, with Def+ and Comodo BOClean on my XP Home laptop, only 512 MB of RAM at present, due to removal of a faulty memory module. A Centrino 1.7 processor and they all work extremely well together.
    It also works well with Online Armor (Free)
    I have Superantispyware on demand only. Given up Adaware and Spybot and Spyware Blaster - BLOAT!
    For XP users only, I recommend UPHClean from Microsoft to speed up shutdown of a PC.
    To avoid 99.9% of Spam use Gmail, configured to work from your email client and using Gmail's POP & SMTP servers. A Bonus is that your emails can remain on Gmails servers, thus reducing the need for local back ups of messages.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.