AntiVir PE Premium issue with Vista 64

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jmet, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmet

jmet Registered Member

Going back to about 4-5 months ago up to current whenever I install my copy of "AntiVir PE Premium" on Vista 64 everything seems fine. Fine that is until I reboot the computer. Upon doing so I am greeted by this lovely message.

"Windows software protection error"

"An unauthorized change was made to Windows"

The only fix I have been able to come up with is to boot into safe mode and uninstall the software, back months ago thinking it was a bug to be fixed I waited and tried using it again recently only to find the same issue still happening.

In discussing this matter with tech support they informed me that the fix was to disable Windows Defender, this to me is absurd as none of the other 10 or so AV\ASW programs I have used has ever given me such problems.

My need for running the the product is not even for active protection but a secondary non active AV for additional scanning.

That being said, as I will not be running this with active protection does anyone know of any work around and am I in the wrong for thinking it is silly for me to have to disable built in protection with the OS when no other product I have seen causes an issue when instead they can simply fix the issue?

- Vista Business 64-bit
    - Active AV = AVG Pro
    - Active Antispyware = Superantispyware Pro
    - Active Antispyware = Spybot (free) resident protection and immunization. (To know when and if anything on the system is changed). "What would be suggested as a better product then this other then say a winpatrol"?

2. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

wel could you please try to install antivir with disabled windows defender. you can activate it after installtion.
    and if you do not wan't the Guard choose customize installation and uncheck all program features you do not want.

3. jmet

jmet Registered Member

I just reinstalled using the custom method and un checked the guard options, this was with Defender disabled.

I updated and reboot, when things came back up I re enabled Defender and have since rebooted 2-3 times with no issues. Thank you very much!

4. Leo2005

thanks for feedback. did you install antivir with the mailguard?

5. jmet

jmet Registered Member

I chose not to install either resident guard. I simply have the app scheduled to scan every night.

6. Leo2005

ok thanks cause it seems to be the mailguard causing this problem on vista 64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.