antivir pe major update failing?!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mich, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use and like Antivir but mainly due to update issues I just install Avast on every one,s PC who requests me to install an AV. Trouble free.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sorry, but my true heart lies with these folks and if there are issues, well, who hasnt had them. Update issues will get resolved quickly as I know their dedication. And lets not forget they continue to rank at the top for detection.:)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am reading about update issues since I joined wilders so I think these issue are not going to resolve for a long time, don,t expect so.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, hopefully they will. But personally, I think no one makes that end of the rainbow product anymore that actually does what it is suppose to. Has it become such a cut-throat industry, that we the consumer, have done ourselves in by our never ending demands. I think it may, or why would their be a forum so active as this one.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Updates are a critical issue. It,s not a feature that is demanded by some geeky users. An un-updated AV is useless.

6. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Changed from AV this afternoon on all pc's, no problems updating the Personal Edition Premium. :blink:

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

OMG. trjam changed AVs again. :eek: I'm getting dizzy. o_O ;) :D

EDIT........I just read at his new thread his reasons why he changed .

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Is this classic or paid version? The servers for the free version are always slower than for the premium and when there is a big update there are problems. Very few update problems if you upgrade to the paid version and if you have broadband. I had the premium version not want to update the first time it tried to get the 5mb download. It was downloading but at something like 7KB/sec on a 5000kbps connection. So, I cancelled it. An hour later, while I slept it updated and it took just a minute or two.

If you are having ongoing problems updating with the Premium version that shouldn't be. If you have the free version, it has update problems then the solution is to buy Avira and get the premium servers or get a different free AV.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I update AV-PE daily at ~0200 Hours GMT/UTC and haven't had a problem doing so in ages.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

My extremely slow update of that 5MB download was during peak European usage time. I have Avira set to update every hour. So, it just happened the big update tried to download at the worst time.

OT but have you noticed that we in Hawaii have to use Samoa time now for the Avira forums to show the correct time for forum posts? The software evidently thinks everyone is on Daylight Savings Time and since Hawaii is not the forum shows the time advanced by one hour even though it says it is set for Hawaii Time Zone. Thus, during DST, we have to use Samoa time and then go back to Hawaii time when DST time is pau and I don't even know when that is exactly. :D

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Beginning in 2007, most of the United States begins Daylight Saving Time at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday in March and reverts to standard time on the first Sunday in November. In the U.S., each time zone switches at a different time.

In the European Union, Summer Time begins and ends at 1:00 a.m. GMT. It begins the last Sunday in March and ends the last Sunday in October. In the EU, all time zones change at the same moment.

I normally update AVPE only once daily because it is not my real-time monitor.

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've had my differences with Avira, but I've never had a problem with updates. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm using Avira Premium, so maybe that makes a difference. I've never used the free version.

13. juckjones

juckjones Registered Member

I also can't update my Avira free edition. What gives? It seems that the software can't connect to the server. I thought it was my firewall but it wasn't.

14. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I tested the AV Premium for a few days, on my one computer I had some problems doing the initial update after install. Either it could not connect to the server, or it started, and then in between it just cancelled. First I didn't even notice as I had him update in the background, it could give a clearer error message in this case. But yes, there is probably some shortage of server capacity sometimes. Is it a reason to abandon the program? I would say, if you use it, at least don't let him update in the background so you see if there are problems. But this is a bit against my idea of the security program that resides silently in the background and does its job well and unnoticable.

15. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Well,of course the Premium servers are nearly always available and working.
    Unfortunately i had not yet read this thread yesterday so that,after Antivir stated 'Update unsuccessfull due to lack of connectivity' for the second day in a row, i thought something went awry and reinstalled the lot, only to get the same warning again and again.
    Then today,Saturday, finally things got right and i could update without problems.

16. juckjones

juckjones Registered Member

Yes, finally I was able to update Antivir Free. It seems that the server problem has been fixed. I'm happy now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.