Antivir PE 7.0 on Windows 98se?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bahjan, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

On second thoughts - it seems Antivir is a no go for Win98se. Shame as I'd certainly try the paid version.....unless anyone knows different I suppose this thread can be deleted/closed.

Hi,

re my search for a new AV..... I've read favourable things about Antivir I've tried the freebie Classic version, (I know I'm being picky on a freebie) but I have two niggles with Classic version ie:
    a. Why doesn't the system check the boot record during booting (like AVG) - why allow boot record scan on demand when booted up (isn't that a bit late - or am I wrong?)

b. Seems to scan whole system at startup - as I have 80 external h/d that might cause a problem... Anyone know how to configure it?

My real question is for other Antivir users - will Antivir Personal Edition 7.0 run on Windows 98se or not? I hear v 6 was fine - is it still avaliable somewhere? (If it a'int broke, don't fix it has always been my view) Also, I've read several posts from about a year or so ago with 98 users complaining about version 7.0 bugs and crashes concerning conficts with IE6 ( I am thinking of going with Firefox 2)

Have these bugs been fixed now - or is Antivir PE a no go?

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I cannot speak for other users of Antivir, but I have a Windows 98 (not SE) with Antivir 7 installed and I haven't an issue with the program since I used it as a replacement for McAfee VirusScan late last year. It does take a while to update the DAT files, but my dialup is slow anyway.

Regarding your specific questions- why is there no boot scan? I don't know why, but I guess it was coded to work that way. A boot scan is meant to catch viruses that are loaded before the operating system is fully loaded on the PC so I agree that it does seem a bit late to scan the boot sector after everything is already loaded. If you are getting an auto scan at startup, you should uncheck the option for the auto startup scan on the program menu. I only do full system scans on my own initiation. I do not use the scheduled or auto start options. I don't know about Antivir 7 conflicts with IE 6. I am currently using IE 5.5, but may upgrade soon to see how it works. But Antivir 7 hasn't been any problems on my Windows 98 or XP systems (the XP PC does have IE 6).
    You should note that Antivir will stop support for Windows 98 as of 06/30/2007. That means that program updates will cease. The DAT signature updates probably will continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.