AntiVir P.E. 7 Updater?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LambChop, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

What Wildman doesn't know is that we added a special user heuristic with artificial intelligence to detect when AntiVir is running on his computer - and when it does, it slows down the updater 10 times, moves around menues, hides options and other funny stuff. We really cannot live without his great postings here on Wilders. :cool:

And wait for AntiVir 8 - it will have "WIPS" - a Wildman Intrusion Prevention System. :)

2. Dear Stefan,
    As you can see a lot of users (including me) of AntivirPE have an older pc/screen.
    Would you like to consider a smaller interface for the Anivir7 Classic?
    The new one is to large for the screen.

3. StevieO

StevieO Guest

To Stefan Kurtzhals

Hi,

Can you please explain why those of us staying with AV6 for now, have to suffer the constant downloading of the new version AV7 every time we do a virus update ?

This is not only a complete waste of our time, but must put an extra uneeded strain on your servers !

I think the AV is very good, and had no problems with AV6 before all this.

Please stop the auotomatic inclusion of AV7 with the updates in AV6 ASAP.

Thank you

StevieO

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I think its just as well that wildman hasnt tried (have you wildman?) version 7 because ,he really would have something to shout about and he would be fully justified.I guess im lucky because i havent experienced major problems,but the more i look at version 7 the more I think that its one BIG mistake.I think it would be better to just reinstate version 6 and give version 7 to the technicians at HBEDV to work on for maybe the next six months or so ,and basically improve it by LISTENING to what its free and paid up users are saying.
    ellison

5. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D Well a good number of people have said "Wildman move on", so guess what, that is exactly what the Wildman has done. I leave you with this to ponder. This products developers have used every trick they can think of to get you to take your eyes off everything else except how good their product does on various tests. If that is all you care about, then nothing I say or do will have any effect. However if you look at just more than that, perhaps you will have to say that the Wildman does have a point. Enough said, I am now a happy user of AVAST.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cautious: :blink: :gack: :isay:

6. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

I have to disagree here. Antivir does "pretty well" compared to AVG for example in tests.
    At least in serious trustworthy tests.

7. StevieO

StevieO Guest

To Stefan Kurtzhals

Also i didn't see an option to Activate/Deactivate main guard in AV7 as there is in AV6. This is a very useful feature to have that i use daily.

A good idea might be to password protect from unauthorised use.

StevieO

8. StevieO

StevieO Guest

9. I dont like the notifier which pops up on every update. On version 6 you could just delete the notify file but when I delete it on version 7 it still pops up. I just came back to AntiVir after dumping KAV 5 because of its slow startup. I like version 7 except for the notifier.

10. wildman

:rolleyes: By the time you got it up and running I'd have died of old age.

Thanks
    Wildman

11. Stefan Kurtzhals

Can you please elaborate and quote examples?

I would think, Wildman is total paranoid. He claims there is some sort of conspiracy by H+BEDV to "cover up" things. Too funny, indeed. He watched too much X-files I guess.

In fact my opinion is: AntiVir is *not* doing very well at "various" tests. Getting 6x100% at VB is *easy*, there is *much* left to improve. And guess what? In spite of Wildman's wild claims, we are working on it every day.

There is no way back to AV6. The engine used by AV6 is already falling behind in detection compared with the AV7 engine, don't get confused by the version number. The new heuristics will be only included in the AV7 engine aswell.

12. waters

waters Registered Member

Its free.Best protection of the free ones.10 million people updateing to version 7.Most people except servers to be slow for a while.N o matter what happens certain persons will post bad comments on it without takeing the time to fully set it up and give it a fair go.

13. Stefan Kurtzhals

StevieO, you can permanently enabled/disable the guard/mailguard by opening the Windows control panel -> add or remove programs -> antivir setup -> change installation.

14. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for responing, if only in part ?

I wasn't asking to be able to permanently enabled/disable the guard/mailguard in AV7. I was suggesting making an option to Activate/Deactivate the ( Main Guard ) in AV7, as there conveniently is in AV6 by a right click to the tray icon like this

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9674/aag11wf.png

And also if you made that option password protected so the AV could not be shut down by unauthorised use, that would be a very good security feature.

If some people are happy to stay with AV6 for now until they feel more sure of AV7, then they should be able to do so without suffering the big update to AV7 every time they update the virus signatures. Which as i mentioned earlier is an unnessary pain, and must a burden on your servers too.

StevieO

15. Hmm

Hmm Guest

you can still do that in AV7... either right click on try icon and deactivate or double click the tray icon and deactivate it in the status panel....

16. Hmm

Hmm Guest

Doing that won't unload the guard tho, it will simply deactivate it. But that was the same in AV6, so i'm not quite sure what you're aiming at.

17. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

So AntiVir PE Classic V7 is a freeware program right? If so, then why does it say that my license is only good for 3 months?

18. StevieO-

StevieO- Guest

I didn't see any right click option from the tray icon to deactivate with AV7 as there is in AV6 ! My wish was not to unload etc, but as i have mentionioned several times, it is to "Activate/Deactivate main guard" as and when i want to. In exactly the same way i can with AV6, as my screen shot shows from my last post.

Still no answers about the continued unrequested bundled AV7 program with the AV6 virus signature updates ?

StevieO

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Apparently it will be updated and extended before it expires...

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree with stevieo....No ones bashing the version 7 engine.Its just the ill thought out options/gui user friendlyness of 7 thats the problem.I asked in the antivir forum about the pointlessness of the "view" tab thats in version 7.Can you tell me Stefan exactly what purpose it serves now that the same tabs i.e..... status,scanner,guard,mailguard,quarantine,scheduler,reports ....are located in the same gui?.Why would anyone want to click view and then staus for example when the tabs are already there underneath.Thats just one example of how ill thoughtout the actual gui is.Another is that you can deactivate the antivir guard from the system tray ,but you have to open the gui to deactivate the mail guard .This isnt being piccy ,its just ill thought out again.Version 6s gui may not have been the flashiest but it was thought out more carefully.Perhaps new users who has never had version6 dont understand ,but if theyd had version 6 they would see that many of the features of the gui and friendlyness ,should have been carried on into 7.Thers also a disregard for w98 users who use 800x600 resoulution whith the configuration scree being to big.Tell me Stefan...will this be resolved? and if not ..why not?.While i do like antivirs low resource and effectivness in virus detection , i am alarmed that the user base seem to be completly ignored when suggestions are made, which doesnt happen with other avs that ive tried.Others havent always implemented the users suggestions either ,but they have always replied with a reason why they should or shouldnt do it.This unfortunatley seems to be lacking with hbedv.
    ellison

21. wildman

:) I'm paranoid right? OK in what year did H+BEDV start working on incremental updating and in what year did they finish it? In what year did H+BEDV start on heuristics and in what year did they finish it? Besides an apparent ability to score well on various tests, what other accomplishments has H+BEDV made in regards to AntiVir/Classic? In comparison to other companies providing "free" virus protection products how long has it taken them to develop theirs and how long has it taken H+BEDV? Yup you are correct I am making all of this up! How often has a representative from H+BEDV been willing to discuss AntiVir/Classic, in comparison to others companies discussing their "free" product? On how many sites was H+BEDV willing to allow it's "free" product to be obtained and updated in comparison to other companies? How many times have any of you seen anyone from H+BEDV post on it's own forum in comparison to the other companies? Yup folks I don't have a clue as to what the hell I am talking about, so you just go on believing this B.S. As I said I am now a happy user of AVAST, and it appears that the company behind it is light years ahead of H+BEDV! H+BEDV is nothing more than a one trick pony in my opinion, and it has taken them a long, long time to even get that one trick half way decent.

Thanks
    Wildman

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  22. Stefan Kurtzhals

Because there will be a new key file included before the old key runs out. Last year was exactly the same, just nobody noticed because the old GUI didn't display the license expiration date. ;)

Roughly a bit more than half a year, including open beta phase. Sounds good to me, because the VDF wasn't designed to be incremental at all. Design back from 1986, you know? ;-)

It's quite hard to work on incremental VDF and heuristics at the same time, no? If I don't add all the interrupts, I worked maybe 3-4 months on H2.
    Sounds ok to me too aswell.

Wildman, with your deep and vast inside knowledge of how Antivirus company works, can you please tell me:

- how long did it took Bitdefender to develop HiVE?
    - how long did it took Panda to develop TruePrevent?
    - how long did it took ESET to develop the variant detection of ver. 2.5?
    - how long did it took McAfee to develop engine 5000?
    - how long it will take Kaspersky to release KAV 2006?
    - when was the last time AVAST did *major* updates to their detection engine and how long they needed for that.

Funny indeed, AntiVir largely improving at various tests is *not* a sign that the product improved for you? But yes, there were *tons* of engine improvements. I think you confuse AntiVir with WindowsBlinds or something similar. Our pimary job is to handle malware, not to have a spiffy GUI.

Actually, yes you do. You are making lots of assumptions without having any real knowledge at all. All you want to achieve is to p*** off people. Well you failed, all I do is LOLing when I see your senseless rantings. :D

What, first you want us to work on the product all the time, now you want us to spend all our time in the forums. Can't you decide for once what you really want? :)

Name me one antivirus program (maybe except Clam) that allows that third-party sites host their signature files. Are you nuts? This is a security product, not a screen saver. Duh! As for the main installer packer, that is available on lots of mirror sites if you even would bother to search.

FINALLY Wildman realizes the truth!
    Yes you have not the slightest idea what you are talking about.
    I didn't saw you here in Tettnang lately so I don't know how you actually could know anything about what is going on inside H+BEDV.

23. waters

waters Registered Member

Some of the bugs are, users not reading the help.

24. Cassie

Cassie Guest

I was not sure what all the "fuss" was about until about 10mins ago when I tryed to update my version6.

The update screen said that there was a 'new' VDF file, 199 available - did I want it?
    So, thinking that I could do what my dad and everybody else had been telling us -- which had worked for 2 days -- I clicked it to download the VDF file it said it was going to download.
    ::(
    Surprise, surprise:
    A 2340 byte file was what it downloaded -- and it WAS NOT the 'promised' 199 VDF file at all --- IT was the Version7 update file!
    :(
    Which of course DID NOT appear anywhere on the update screen what so ever -- so, to all who have been saying that those who have been asking "WHAT IS UP"?
    Where just lame -- I tell you, what AntiVir is telling and doing is just not as them say!
    Yes, I know -- and my dad will more than likely give me what-for -- I have just gone over to AVAST TOO -- so, this is my one and only post.

I just hate it when no one wants to be told the truth anymore!
    :(

25. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

I have no idea what your all crying about. I didn't even realize that V7 was out there until I came here to figure out why my V6 wasn't updating. For about a week my V6 kept failing to update, and then I finally discovered V7 was out. Antivir has always been good to me, I use it as a backup scanner, but still never had any problems with it. V7 updates fine, the only annoying thing STILL that pops up is the little premium ad, but other than that everything else is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.