AntiVir P.E. 7 Updater?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LambChop, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LambChop

LambChop Guest

On 1/27/2006 - I updated my Antivir free program to the Version 7 -- I have had a problem with the updater ever since and I cannot seem to fix it?

On the program 'status' section my program states:
    virus definition file V6.33.00.172, 1/27/06
    seach engin V6.33.00.31, 1/27/06

When I click on the 'start update' button, the program looks as though it is attempting to update -- it goes through several servers [1-7], takes upwards of 8-10 minutes [thank goodness for broadband], and then comes back to tell me "your locak data re uptodate try again" -- and shuts down! :(

Thinking that purhaps I had downloaded a corrupt file -- I downloaded the program from another mirror - uninstalled the first udated program, installed the new etc., and attempted to update again - several times all with the same results o_O

I am not a computer whiz - therefore, I no longer know what to do.

I am limited by finances, and cannot update my system beyond its Wins98se state -- that limits what anti-virus programs I can use -- many if the free programs out there have dropped Wins98se from the versions they will work on.

So, would someone with more knowledge in this area - please give me some pointers?
    I cannot seem to get past the Germany language on the AntiVir support page either -- so, please do not send me there, as I cannot even get a post going.

2. someone

someone Guest

Just wait, the servers are probably overloaded. I got mine working, including an extra update...

3. my advise

my advise Guest

Unistall Antivir7 and restart your pc.
    Now You can reinstall AV6 again and update without any problems.
    You wil be protected with the latest virus definitions.
    After they are installed cancel the setup (otherwise you will have AV7 again on your pc) and AV6 will protect your pc like before.
    Wait a few weeks and Antivir7 will probably work ok.

4. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Just wondered why this thread is in AT ?

StevieO

I updated my AV6 virus defs earlier today, and along with that got an update to AV7 without asking me if i wanted the DL ?

I decided, why not update to 7, so i did. The uninstall/install went smoothly, and so far i've tested the updater 5 times. The first time no joy, about an hour later after a delay of several minutes it connected, but the DL speed was much reduced compared to v6. The other times i tried over a few hours, no joy again !

Compared to v6 i have AVGCTRL.EXE running as usual, but when i update along with UPDATE.EXE bieng launched, i get 2 instances of SCHEDM.EXE as well ? After the attemted updates i click on Abort to cancel it, but the box doesn't always dissapear, so i have click on the X which takes around 10 seconds before it works ?

Apart from that everything seems fine. Even though i appreciate that it's free, it's not a great introduction to the new version. I might reinstal v6 in a day or so if it doesn't improve !

StevieO

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I looked forward to and have tried the new Version 7 here, but I must say there are 2 things that really annoy me and keep me from keeping it installed. One is the update process, which has been talked about a lot, but I find that I can only get updates during certain hours here in the U.S. So this makes it impossible for me to schedule the updater to run say every 4 hours, because during certain hours, it will just sit there trying to (and failing to) connect.

But the real deal breaker for me is the idiotic nag screen that they insist on running every time it actually updates. I tried renaming avnotify.exe, but the updater then reinstalls it later. I tried blocking it with a firewall, but then I get a popup telling me I shouldn't do that and when I click the checkmark to turn it off, it still does it next time anyway. So the only way to really kill the nag screen popup is to use something like Kerio 4 where you can block an app from executing entirely. This would work, but I'll be darned if I want to be forced to run a firewall just to block a stupid nag screen.

Sorry AntiVir fans (and I do really like AntiVir), but this issue really pisses me off. A free product should be free. If I want to upgrade to Premium, then I will, and I don't think I need to have ads thrown in my face constantly to persuade me. It cheapens the product and it's ridiculous to boot.

I like the new interface alright, and things seem to work well otherwise. But I'm sorry, the nag screen sours the deal for me and I have to remove it because of that alone.

6. LambChop

LambChop Guest

While I appreciate all the replies, and thank you for them - I do not understand the one I have quoted?
    When my version 6 updated -- also, without asking me at first -- it wiped out the version 6 I had -- I do not have another copy of it -- and the one on the AntiVir homepage that is labeled 'version 6' -- does not seem to be the same one I had -- because it says that it is a "beta" -- I did not have a beta.

Is there another site that has the AV6 that I don't know about o_O
    Please advise.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can still get version 6 on sites like MajorGeeks for example. I haven't actually installed that one, but it ought to be the original as far as I can tell. You might try that. I'd also remove all traces of 7 first, clean out the registry, hidden devices, and so on. Then reinstall 6.

8. LambChop

LambChop Guest

:D
    Many Thanks!

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just wondering whether its best to persevere with version 7 despite some of the problems ,because isnt the heuristics 2 only for version 7? ,and i guess it wont be long before thats ready.I must admit i still dont like that you cant completly exit and close antivir from the tray or from within the program ,although shutting down the guard does allow scandisk and defrag.I think i prefered the simpler interface of 6 although to be honest (especially the updater interface) ,even though the 7interface seems a little slower to open ,its using less resources (98 resources ) than 6 ,on my system.
    ellison

10. HiAVfriends

HiAVfriends Guest

Hi LambChop,
    Don`t forget to disable the automatic updater ( options-configuaration-internet updater).
    It`s best to do it yourself.
    Succes

11. LambChop

LambChop Guest

Yes, thank you for that reminder - :)

I am unsure of how to keep that unwanted "7" update from invading my system again o_O

When updates appear -- let us say, there is a VDF update -- it comes along with the unwanted "7" -- how does one ONLY allow the VDF update and STOP that "7"?

I don't know how to manage that? :(

This seems like a bit of a 'cheeky' thing to do to us if you ask me! :mad:

12. HiAVfriends

HiAVfriends Guest

Hi LambChop :)
    First update manually.
    Wait until the new vdf are installed.
    It says : the new files are installesd do you want to quit te program- press yes.

The new setup appears on your screen.
    Press cancel.

New definitions are installed, Antivir7 not.

:) Good luck

13. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Well i've given up with as i don't have time to waste ! So i've reinstalled V6 which i kept as a normal backup precaution, glad i do.

Nothings wrong with the AV, it's a top performer, and i wouldn't have gone back to V6 if i didn't think that, but the minor but annoying teething issues still remain.

Also with V6 there is only 1 running task even after updates, not with V7 ?

Now the Really annoying thing with V6 is the Unasked for V7 DL !!! Which even on broadband can be anything between 5 - 10 minutes long depending on their sever speed at the time. It must be clogging up their bandwith and slowing things down for everybody, even with an apparent 11 server choices it scans for whilst waiting sometimes. That doesn't make sense to me, and just causes bad feelings and steam to rise out of our heads.

StevieO

14. LambChop

LambChop Guest

I am much in your debt HiAVfriends - Many Thanks for your excellent and patient advise! :)
    I love having my Version 6 back -- it is like having an old friend you can count on.
    I do hope that they "heed" all these things that are not working out so well, and make some changes -- else, we will have to look elsewhere with regrets!:oops:

Wishing you a great day!
    LambChop

15. LambChop

LambChop Guest

:rolleyes:
    Having just followed the instructions given me as to updates etc. -- I am just worn out!

A file 11206 Kbytes in length was downloaded -- this contained a new VDF update and the unwanted, lengthy, and exhausting "7" resource hog! :mad:

Whilst I am grateful for the 'free' program; I do not have a bloody "17 mins" a day that I wish to devote to getting an "blooted" update!

Have I missed a place on the AntiVir homepage where one can download ONLY the latest VDF, Scan Engine or AVRep o_O

When I clicked on a link there to see about VDF, it referred back to the program updater -- ?

This seems to be a huge oversight!

16. waters

waters Registered Member

Well the program seems to have taken a step backwards.I am now starting to get the same problem of getting it to update.

17. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: I also for a long time was bound to Windows98, plus I use dial-up. Now while some say that perhaps it is not that good at the detection rate, AVG worked well for me on Windows98 and with dial-up. I found it easy to use and the updating of it's virus data base was quick and easy, this is another "free" virus protection program that may be a viable option for you. I will tell you up front that it looks like a rather big file at approx. 15.8MB, but don't let this deter you, I found no adverse problems with it once installed. I also suggest the use of a good firewall, spy detection program, ad detection program, a trojan detection program and a good virus protection program. Information on good free ones can be found on the various threads here at Wilders. I personally use Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster + SpyBot and AdAware. A2Squared would be a good choice for the trojan detection one. All of the security protection programs I use with the exception of my current virus protection program are "freeware".

Thanks
    Wildman
    ;) :D :cool:

18. Are you on dialup now LambChop?
    I was on dialup for a long time too.
    Updating once a week (in the weekend- cheeper and faster here) of Antivir was enough for protecting my pc.
    Greetings
    :)

19. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

The download servers are at 100% load again, of course after AntiVir 7 was released - inspite we added two additional download servers just to ease the release period. We expect the situation to calm down in a few days.

The guard problem (freezing) is fixed, the update will be released tomorrow most likely if the QA doesn't find a last minute bug.

20. wildman

o_O Just curious, does this answerer sound like something you have heard before? Gee you tell me that I am repetitive, well what about this reply?

Thanks
    Wildman

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Now that you have Avast Pro is it necessary to continue tilting at windmills here? o_O

22. wildman

:) I guess not, but after all the abuse I took over this situation, I just had to say "I TOLD YOU SO"!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :isay:

23. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Just ran the updater and it took less than 30 seconds to download and update (yes, I'm on broadband). No problems here.

24. LambChop

LambChop Guest

We are no longer on dialup -- we are paying a very 'hefty' price for broadband - this is why the anger at how long it takes to update. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons for the length of time - had to do with the fact that I kept getting "cutoff" from the AntiVir server after 35% download, again after 65% and last but not least - at 95% download - which took another 5 mins to get connected -- so, it was very upsetting! :mad:

I am not wishing to continue any negative things here -- all I wanted in the beginning was to get some information, feedback, and pointers to improve my very limited knowledge -- I sure did not wish to start getting anyone into trouble -- so, I thank you all very much for all your kind replies and comments!

May you all have only good things in the future!
    :)

25. Goodday LambChop!
    Wish you a worry free pc year :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.