AntiVir Manual Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dylanfan, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi guys, sorry if this question may sound stupid to the ears of those who already know, but surfing on the free-av/antivir/avira site, I discovered this page

It seems to me one can get the latest vdf manually by direct download from there. Am I right or am I missing something?

That would allow one to download AntiVir and then the latest updates, to install those on a non web-connected machine.

Thanks

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Sure, AntiVir Console has a "Manual Update" function and then you just point it to where you have stored the IVDF download file.

Some users with Win98 have reported that the current build 163 seems to have a problem (GPF) after Console is closed, this could become a BSOD Corruption crash if Updated while the Console is open.

This only affects the Win9x/ME systems which have their own version of AntiVir, so if you run that OS, I would await the next build to be released in late September.

3. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi. I just didn't know. That's great.

I guess a simple copy/paste would also do the trick, wouldn't it !?

Cheers

4. pilotart

Well, yes it can be done that way, I have copied updated VDF's from WinXP system and pasted in Win98 backup system, but the "Manual Update" has less clicking involved.

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Don't forget to update the engine (avewin32.dll and the .vxd for Win9x).

BTW, we are trying hard to reproduce those problems with Win9X - but on no system available here the bug shows up. :(

6. pilotart

Stefan,

Thank you for your response.

Each OS becomes more unique over time and many program install/removals. Were this my primary system, I would format and reinstall the OS and all programs (at the time of its Upgrade from Win95, this was considered an annual task), but this has NEVER, ever been done.

For me, this anomaly is so predictable and preventable, that it does not even warrant a reinstall of AntiVir. Online Updates work without fail, on each dialed connection or from Scheduler (with Console Closed) for DSL.

Let me thank you for continuing support for Win98. :)

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Alas, a Bluescreen is nothing we can simply ignore. :-|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.