Antivir Mail Guard Google

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BetterIT, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BetterIT

BetterIT Registered Member

Just trialing Antivir workstation, but the mail guard component doesn't seem to scan pop email from google (secure). It seems like a bit of a waste of money if this is the only extra it does/doesn't do.

1. Is there a antivirus that scan google pop mail?

Also with antivir, using avcmd.exe command line scanner in firefox/download status bar doesn't seem to scan for viruses either. I can download the http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm# file and it appears to scan, but allows it through to download.

2. avcmd.exe /GUIMODE=1 /PATH=%1 - is this correct?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

None without hijacking certificates and redirecting the SSL/TLS stream. The email is decrypted after it has arrived to the mail client so no AV can scan the content of mails before decryption.

3. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I have two email accounts (web domains) forwarded through Google Mail (to removed the spam). I then download the mail via the Google Mail POP facility.

Does this mean that none of the mail sent through Google is being scanned by AntiVir Personal Premium when it is downloaded?

I realise that Google Mail has it's own antivirus, so is this really a problem anyway?

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The on-access component of Avira will scan attachments, etc as being executed.
    Yes, Google Mail has built-in antivirus scanning. You can feel safe.
    See more here

5. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

Thanks lucas1985.

I have just done a bit of digging and it seems that Google Mail uses a Sophos antivirus solution (http://thebillygoatcurse.com/37?refer=32001), which is reassuring...

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

7. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

KAV can scan encrypted (SSL) connections, by certificate substitution. Not perfect yet. You have to add some certificates manually through their CertCache program, but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.