Antivir Frustration

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SourMilk, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Antivir is an excellent product, the free version does have problems updating now and again (but usually only at specific times of day), until last week or so when they released a couple of large updates causing the free servers to be overloaded.

On it's positive notes; Antivir has excellent (perhaps the best) heuristics with very little false positives, they add samples very quickly when submitted and usually send you a personal response, the customer service in my experience is excellent, and it's very light to run - on my setups much lighter than avast, and just as light as AVG. As for it's detection, several AV tests recently have shown it to be at the very top, significantly ahead of AVG and Avast.

Londonbeat

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

No doubt about the fact that better detection is just one of many factors to consider when choosing an AntiVirus.

Although she retired from Consulting for IBM, she would have no patience with some of the AntiVir 'issues' :-*

to be fair; should also see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=bb1a2a2f5878b687933fc1d9a1a56a92&board=2.0

I had first installed AntiVir (version 6) on January 16th, 2006 and the comments in this and AVIRA Forum about the Version 7 UpGrade had scared me enough to download the AVAST install program.

A visit to forum.avast.com&board was all I needed to see about AVAST (and ITs Problems) and I had no issues at all with an UpGrade to AntiVir Version 7.

Although AntiVir works very well on my System and is best for me, there can be no doubt that other excellent AV Programs are available and will be 'better' for many users.

Should ':-*She:-* want to replace her EZ-Trust AntiVirus with another brand (it has served her well) I will suggest AVG as it looks like the best 'free' option for a happy EZ-Trust user. (Who only wants to see her AV when it finds malware and EZ rarely does that.)
    AntiVir's incremental Updates have always worked very well for me (Usually on Dial-Up too) but the Program Update idea above would be excellent.

I am one who prefers NOT to quickly install 'new or improved software' and would prefer to hold off a bit on an UpGrade.:cautious:

When AntiVir Version 7 was Released, I continued with manual Updates of Version 6 for several weeks before trying a 'clean' install of 7.

We are truly fortunate to have so many excellent options to choose from.

AntiVir Classic is best-by-far for me and glad to not need to 'test/trial' others as I'm sure that a lot of issues are caused by a hidden 'can-of-worms' left by Un-Installed Former AntiVirus Applications.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Why AVIRA just don't give a new updated installer to those upgraded Classic versions as to Windows NT / 2000 / XP systems it is so old like this "date: 09-13-2006 - Version: 7.00.00.47", many of these problems just will vanish when people at first uninstall the older version and install the new upgraded version?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, the pains of growing, to eventually be number 1. You can be part of it now, with a few burbs here and there, or part of it later. But when all is added, well, time will prove me right.

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I remember not too long ago reading something about CA Antivirus affecting a lot of peoples PC's after an update that caused far worse complications than what happened here with Antivir. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I believe it removed a file that prevented the PC from booting properly or something of that nature. Maybe someone can refresh my memory here.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

A fix for the missing tray icon after updates is on the way.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Hi Duke1959,

Not sure if this is what you were referring to in regards to CA Antivirus update problem.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151879

8. pilotart

Was fixed for me with an Update at 18 hour GMT today.:thumb:

9. duke1959

Hey ccsito and pilotart how you guys been? I just have one question for either of you or anyone. As a former and very happy Antivir PE user, did any of these problems have to do with denying the avnotify exe? I remember doing this myself in safe mode under the Administrators account, and then going into the avnotify exe and after a few steps checking deny beside I think the travese box. There is a thread within this thread I believe where you can see how someone helped me do this. Anyway it worked like a charm, but at what expense if doing this and then having some update trouble later on happens. Or is this not the case? Just curious. As far as the CA Antivirus thing. This problem also had to to with updates, but caused much more trouble than anything Antivir's update did. I'm not sure what I read about this anynore, but I'm sure it had something to do with CA flagging a legitimate file as a virus which caused malfunctioning PC's. A google should find the answer. Take care all.

10. pilotart

I have been fine and still love that AntiVir Classic:cool: what might make it more perfect,
    would be if they could seperate the VDF/Hueristic Engine Updates from the Program Build improvements
    and allow a choice of "Now or Later". This would also solve the quarterly Server Choke as a lot of users
    are like me and would never want an immediate install of the "latest & greatest" software.:doubt:

Installing Win98 over Win95 on the day of release, cured me of that!:mad:

I first experienced the glitch of the Tray icon after Tuesday's third Update, just went to the
    AntiVir Program Folder and sent a avgnt.exe shortcut to desktop.

On Thursday it went intermintant with a need to click the shortcut after about half the Updates,
    Avguard's Mem Usage will jump to over 26MB until you load the icon, then it drops back to its usual 2MB to 4MB.

AVIRA has said:
    I still have updlib.dll v1.2.9.39 and with the Holiday Season expect it may be a while before I see *.40 :)

Have not seen AvNotify on my main system since adding the security setting gleaned from this board about nine months ago,
    I do allow it for the few Updates that I perform on my backup system.

They have really improved avnotify lately and I copied the URL so I might get to see it more often:D

http://notifier.antivir-pe.de/en/notifier50_2_en.html
    Open the above on your Firefox (may need scripts allowed), you might even enjoy the "Funny Puzzles":D

I feel certain that if AVIRA wanted to penalize me for having a policy rule on avnotify
    that it would be unlikely to use an intermintant avgnt.exe to do it. :cautious:

None-the-less, if AVIRA continues to make AvNotify worthwhile to see,
    I may modify my security setting to allow it again:p

I would like to wish you
    and all the Wilders Security Forum folks, the Merriest of Christmas Holidays
    and a Joyous and Prosperous Happy New Year 2007!!!:-*

Art

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I thought the "missing tray icon after an update" had been fixed as no problems for the last few days. This was after seeing this problem for the first time on Tuesday. But again to-day I lost the tray icon after downloading an update, althought it did reappear after a reboot.

Since I am seeing this minor glitch with the Premium version, it is unlikely to be connected with denying the avnotify exe.

12. duke1959

Good to know, I appreciate the replies and am glad some people aren't giving up on Antivir. I'm confident Avira will do what they need to in order to take care of their users, and continue to improve this fine product.

13. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Still a happy AntiVir/Avira user here.

Although I personally like best the manual update approach which I use for myself [I generally tend to dislike any automatic connection running in the background], I installed Avira on friends's machines and allowed for the automatic updates on these. There's never any problem updating as far as I can see.

I don't find the update files's size is any trouble to me, either.

As a reminder for anyone interested, manual updates are available here

Cheers

14. pilotart

Agree, I don't even like "scheduled' tasks and won't allow it to dial a connection for an Update.

But for a dial-up user, the Auto Update has an advantage of knowing it will happen upon connection and normally only takes seconds to complete. That fusebundle can be a 30-40 minute download on a modem. Once you have it, the update is clean and quick, no dropped icon problems:D

Your link is a direct download for the 'NT' WinXP/2K and for those on Win98/ME or anyone who wants AVIRA's instructions, Go here.

If you are using the AntiVir Classic {free} version, you would need to do an Online Update at least before your license expires, for an automatic renewal of it, should you go beyond that date (currently 31MAY2007) it will not Update.:ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.