Antivir Frustration

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SourMilk, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I got the updates even though I did not request them the other day. I did experience that the program was not appearing on the system tray a few days ago. But not sure if this was a glitch or someone turned off the program? Since I was using an outdated version of McAfee VirusScan on an old PC for several years and don't update it regularly, I guess being in a not "current" state is not that great of a deal to me since I don't go online that much anymore.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

AVG ain't bad at all, i've used it for years and it protected me well. For simplicity and ease of use, nothing beats avg :)

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

. I think Avira has done a great job addressing issues. Well, the server overload last week is one of those,” Got me once, wont get me twice," things. Again folks, go with what works for you and feel safe.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

These continuing problems, particularly with the Servers, with the free edition do not help Avira trying to sell its commercial products.

Users are not going to upgrade to the Premium version, if they think that the same problems will occur with the payware version. They will simply switch to AVG or Avast/AOL AV. Further, up until recently, users could not even obtain a trial version of the AntiVir Premium to check whether the "exclusive" Servers were any better (they are).

This put me off for a long time before taking a chance (on dial-up) and buying the Premium version. But so far no problems updating, even with major upgrades.

5. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Great problem, I connect with modem and antivir wants to download 4 500 kb one time after anohter, terrible,terribleeeeeeeeeeeeee. many days this way.

6. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I installed it for the 1st time last night and the subsequent upgrade process somehow trashed my hard drive.

Antivir- NEVER AGAIN!

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Mr. Y. When you say trashed, what exactly do you mean? I know what the term trashed can mean, but after using many AV's, AS's and Firewalls over time, none of them trashed my PC. Some caused BSOD's or erratic behaviors, but I don't understand how Antivir could trash a system. Not to doubt something awful may have happened here, it's just update and tray icon problems aside, Antivir PE has been pretty stable over the years. ( Some users had trouble with it and Windows 98 though) Just wondering.

8. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I was running Win2K SP4 on one of my test hard drives with TPF, SSM, ProcessGuard & Sandboxie. I used that hard drive for P2P.

I installed Antivir and rebooted after the Antivir update. Upon reboot, all the above apps including Antivir did not load except TPF.

Perhaps I was a little harsh with my "trashed hard drive" remark. But I am going to "re-image" the hard drive rather than trying to figure out what happened- it's easier!

And I am not going to use Antivir.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

These things are very difficult to pin-point. If you use SSM and PG, with SandboXIE to mix, i guess there are a lot of software out there that would cause you trouble, besides Antivir.

Why do you need both SSM and PG?

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

No problem Mr. Y, thanks for the input.

11. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

Just trying them out. PG is easier to configure and understand, but SSM is more powerful.

12. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

service is back to normal

Server service is back to normal now!!! (for AntiVir Classic FREE :thumb: )

On Dial-Up at 13:15 GMT, it took 3 seconds to get on a server and another 20 seconds to 'check files' download, Update and restart AntiVir.:-*

Never had any problems with icon or Guard.
    ZoneAlarm Firewall had 'asked permission' for two changed files on the 12 December Build 217 Update.

Also glad to read the report above that Blackcat posted about
    Superior Server Service is one of the advantages listed for the Premium AntiVir and happy to see that it is true:)

For me, just four days of Slow Updates four times a year, (or the *puppy* AntiSpyware/MailGuard)
    gives me no desire to upgrade from the Classic free version.:D

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Registered Member

Sour Milk, I really relate to your frustration. For a time when the version was changing up from 6 to 7, I just gave up trying to update at all. Eventually from the AVira forums I found a link to a version that was functional.

I have always like the program despite it's occassional glitches, and I don't even object to the Notify screen in principal. It has caused problems for me though when only on a 56k connection. If they could make that screen smaller or more "lightweight" it would help a lot.

Avira AV has saved my computer many times, intercepting viruses and alerting to potential problems. Since its primary function is to be an Anti virus software and it is amongst the best at that, it is worth my while to run it. :thumb:

14. shek

shek Registered Member

It seems the tray icon has been solved.

15. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

:D :D :D Had never had the problem of the disappearing icon.. until todays four-file Update & reboot request.

Icon loaded on boot and then went gone on next Update, Guard stayed on-the-job.:D

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I will believe the tray icon problem,as well as others, is solved when I see the problems cease on the forums. Until then, I will take it with a grain of salt, since that has been said before.

Jerry

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my sister had that problem intill yesterday and now the icon works fine.
    lodore

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Registered Member

Mr Y
    This sounds like a startup conflict, I think AV likes to be first to load if it can, it might have conflicted with another app that also wants to be first to load.

19. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

UFFF, at lasti, antivir out of my system, I went back to Avast, it was a nightmare with antivir for more than a week.

20. hurzx

hurzx Registered Member

It's impressive. I see that 90% of posters agree on Antivir frustration. It's not 50/50 !

Went back myself to Avast too, and I aint go back to Antivir until I read on this forum ( from your own tries ;) ), that issues, i.e update nightmare and closed umbrella after a new start-up, have finally been solved. But as these problems have been here for so long without any sound reaction from developpers and support, I doubt it will be before long. Just a pity as the program remains one of the more efficient at detection. By the way, although Avast is excellent, I'm wondering if new AVG is now a better alternative. Any feedback welcomed.

21. FRug

FRug Registered Member

hurzx: that is because those without issues don't tend to post, and those active in a forum such as wilders tend to have a pretty overloaded and maxed out security setup (with usually far too many applications doing the same job), and as such are more prone to software conflicts.

AntiVir has an estimated user base of over 15.000.000 people, their support forum contains a total of 107,427 posts. If we assume that every single post (which is certainly not the case) contains a bugreport by an affected user we reach a user-with-problems rate of less than 1% since the beginning of when their forum was established. If we take the average posts per day (~240) we reach a ratio of users-with-problems of 0.0016% per day.

This all assuming that it's one post per problem per user...
    I know that assumptions are the mother of all ****-ups, but there are certainly nowhere near 13.500.000 bug reports (90%) out there ;)

22. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

AVG has better detections against new samples between Av-Comparatives.org Febr-Aug-2006 tests, but overall detection is very close each other. In this case the detection has a lower priority, but which gets well with your system is that what counts.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

23. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I am going to stick with Antivir Classic for the timebeing.

As I did stick to Avast for 1.5 years. Avast is a great program and problem free.
    I just don't need the proxies anymore, even though they are fast since I run nowadays my browser and email client in Sandboxie.

The only bad thing I can say about Avast is that it checks updates every 4 hours and then for a short moment, 5 seconds or so, it slows down system that is bad for gamers, which I am not. And that is only the default setting, it can be configured how one likes with the help of the gurus in their excellent forum.

I will stick to Antivir if no problems on my system. The umbrella icon dissappearing after update and needing a reboot is a minor inconvinience.

Antivir Classic is not on par with Avast in incremental updates. I wish someday they would make a separate program update and virus database update as Avast has. To give a notification when a new program update is available. But as told, I am going to stick to Antivir for time being.
    It is a bit lighter, not much and has shown a bit better detection rates.
    I stick cause it is my choice and not always to eager to change when some troubles like these days have been.

24. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Actually Antivir is much lighter and has much better detection than Avast not just a bit

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

might be lighter than avast, but detection is only about 6% or so, nothing to write home about.

but avast doesnt have countless problems with various aspects
    > http://forum.antivir.de/board.php?boardid=16

even for an AV company forum, there are too many problem posts on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.