Antivir Classic doesn't scan email?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pilotbiffster, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

First off, I'm currently using AVG free edition. I'm very happy with the performance of the software, and the minimal (zero) impact which it has on my older PIII laptop. Just about everyone on this forum, however, seems to think AVG is a piece of &^%$^%$. I've tried Avast, and it really slowed my internet connection down. So, maybe I'll try Antivir free version. The only issue I have is that the free version doesn't scan email. Is this a glaring security problem? Would I be better sticking with AVG free that scans email? Suggestions (and don't say use avast, because I've tried it and don't like the system slowdown).

pb.

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

The 'Active' application of AntiVir (Guard) has a display that you can watch and see what it is scanning.

This will show that it is scanning Emails as they arrive. (Also instant messages.):thumb:

Should you receive a dangerous attachment within an Email, AntiVir will catch that if you try to open it.

When I tried this, it not only flagged it, but disabled Outlook (except 'delete') until it had been removed.

Back when I was using Norton AntiVirus, (which would put up a little window saying "SCANNING Email" )
    I ran a Kaspersky OnLine Scan and it found two Virus on my system. One was located inside my Norton's Quarantine and the other
    was inside an attachment in the "Deleted Items" Folder of my Outlook, had never attempted to open it, so Norton had never flagged it,
    even though its Email Protection had been constantly enabled.

I am not sure what would happen if you tried to forward an Email that contained an unopened infected attachment, since I would not do that.

After nine years as a Loyal Norton user (since it was $3 per annum subscription) I had first gone fron Norton Firewall (half way through paid sub.) to
    ZoneAlarm Free and liked it so much better, that I had to also switch to a Free AntiVirus.

Also like AntiVir much better than the Norton and it does not cause the "slowing" that Norton seemed to do,
    its most demanding is the "Guard" at less than 20MB of RAM, (of 1536MB).

This 'lack of slowing' was even more apparent on my older backup Win98 System, switching from Norton to AntiVir.

Art

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

You wont lose any security to speak of by not having the mail scanner ,and indeed will benefit from antivirs better overall detection/cleaning capabilities.You will also probably find that antivir is even less of a resource hit on your p3 than avg.The only thing that might put you off antivir is the updating which can be a nightmare for some people, especially if your on a slow dial up connection.Also the notifier "advert" which pops up every time you update ,reminding you that theres a premium version too.If you dont have any updating problems ,and can put up with the notifier advert ,then you are better off with antivir.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.