AntiVir avnotify Fix

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StevieO, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I just copied this from the AntiVir User Forum:

"If you try to block with a firewall you just get a different nag screen with a tick box that doesn't work to stop the notifier.

Download NagScreenKiller from http://www.lual.at/nagkiller/ - it automatically shuts the notifier window with SendKey {ENTER} (just remember to rightclick and check "Active"). According to the documentation it runs on Win 95/98/2K/XP"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2006
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But i wonder if it is against the EULA. Any idea?

3. pilotart

It has been openly discussed on the official AntiVir Forum for the past eighteen months, including suggestions by Moderator's on how to block it.

You cannot alter the Program, like change the Red Umbrella to Green and creating a 'bogus' avnotify file may fall under that rule.

4. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

When I first started using AntiVir...the avnotify / notify nag screen came on....I just told PG to deny always. Never seen it since, no conflicts, and the AV always works great.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So when we can see the contents again.

6. webster

webster Registered Member

Problem solved, i guess.

The updater will recreate those dummies becuase they are files. I renamed the original avnotify.exe and avnotify.dll to avnotify.old, and avnotify.old2. Then i created to folders, and named them avnotify.exe and avnotify.dll. Reinstalled Antivir, updated, and rebooted. The originals where not recreated, because Window will not allow folders to be replaced by files. So far so good, and i hope it stays that way :D .

7. pilotart

Most of an Updates time is spent comparing files on your system with the files on the server. Any that are different, should be downloaded and installed, If you have made it through a "Checking Files" Update, then that method works.

In the event that you need further "avnotify Fix" ideas, the link below is to a more recent Wilders Thread with methods that worked better for me, than the ones in this thread.

{Click here} to open a more recent Thread in Wilders with the best information on this subject that I have seen.

Skek's suggestion (at top of page two) has kept it off of my screen on this WinXP-pro OS for the several months since he posted it and this has carried through AVIRA loading newer versions of avnotify.* My Win98 system is so seldom on line for Update, that I have not bothered to block on that system.

The security setting at the top of that thread is for the Win2k/XP-pro and down the thread is explained how to do the same in XP-home by going into 'safe' mode.

Note that the above mentioned methods in no way modify any of the AVIRA Programing or files and keep you legal within your EULA agreement.

Be aware that avnotify (a fixed SVGA trunciated IE Browser) is also used for the "virus information" links within the AntiVir Console,
    I prefer to do that task with Firefox.

8. veri

veri Registered Member

Thanks for the reference; the folder trick didn't do a thing for me, but it seems that this will.

9. webster

webster Registered Member

I had an engine update today, and three files where updated . After reboot those #¤#%&% files where back, and the folders deleted :eek:. This notifier must be very important to them :mad:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It sure is. But not that much to stop (fix) god damn thing from interupting games and full screen apllications nooooooooooo :rolleyes:

11. herbalist

herbalist Guest

On both my 98 test box and a friends XP unit on which I've installed SSM, I've used it to block the avnotify process from running. Seems to work fine as I haven't seen it in some time and am not being prompted about it.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.