AntiVir avnotify Fix

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StevieO, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I've just had an idea that may work !

Go into AntiVir's program files folder and rename avnotify.exe to avnotify.old and the same with avnotify.dll to avnotify.old.

Open notepad and type in - Dummy - and save as avnotify to your desktop. Then right click on it and rename it avnotify.exe

Do the same for avnotify.dll and then cut and drop them both into exactly the same places you found the originals.

This should both stop the nag screen from appearing, and also stop AV from replacing those files, if you just deleted or renamed them without doing this fix !

Hope it works

StevieO

2. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Hi StevieO!

Found this fix on the German Antivir forum;

Control Panel - administrationtools - local security principes - additional rules + right click and choose new hashrules - browse for and add avnotify.exe (shows as a lot of letters and numbers) and set this rule to "dont allow" - OK

The future will tell if it is THE FIX.

Best Regards

3. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

Hi StevieO...

If it does work, once the staff from AntiVir reads this, I doubt it will work for very much longer:D

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I will "browse for" Rivalen's "Fix" but expect it will be the end of the month (and hopfully never) to see if it works. :)

All I see (when they 'notify') on this system, is the Warning about Firewall setting.

On my Win98 Backup, I allow (and read) avnotify and it completely fills its little SVGA (800x600) screen.

The difference is on Backup System I will only see it once, on Primary System, it is four times a day :( for the few days they are running it.

5. pilotart

Can not tell you how much I admire Rivalen's multilingual ability to get this off the German Forum and then do such an excellent job of explaining in English, what he sees in Swedish WinXP.

Mom & Dad spoke Swedish only when they did not want the kids to understand, Grandparents spoke mostly only Swedish... Such a loss to never realize how important for the 'kids' to learn a second language early,
    primes the brain for future lingustic talent.

Rivalen's post at least got me pointed in the right direction (had only looked at file properties before) and I have now completed his fix. For the benefit of others who are as
    challanged as I am in Windows {as well as second language}, I copied the English Windows terminology seen below:
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Control Panel - [click Performance and Maintenance] administrative tools - local security policy
    -To create a hash rule
    Open Local Security Settings. In the console tree, click Software Restriction Policies.
    >>>{at this point, I had to open "[Action; create a... rule..]"}
    Right-click Additional Rules and click New Hash Rule. browse for and add avnotify.exe
    (shows as a lot of letters and numbers) and set this rule to "Disallowed" - Apply; OK

(seen):
    File hash:
    223c11da313f306fde6066cc1639492b:61480:32771

(Optional) Enter a description for this rule. {= AvNotify }

{I also followed the same procedure for avnotify.dll and it will take effect after a reboot.}

6. Rivalen

A lot off topic but since you mentioned parents speaking another langauage to be able speak privatly.

So I thought I´d teach you the "robberylanguage" - my wife and I used it - works good when the kids are small and when they get older they want to learn. Takes some training to speek it quick - but ist fun.

To learn a new robberylanguage is not so difficult.

In "robberylanguage"; Toto lolearornon a nonewow rorobobboberorylolanongoguagoge isos nonotot soso dodifoffoficoculoltot!'

So come on - break your tunge(spelling?)!!

Two vokals after one another is a bit revealing and h is difficult - but start with the easy onces like "my name is" and maybe "good morning" and get the speed up.

Should work for any language with this alphabet - or maybe it doesnt??

Totrory itot - itot isos fofunon!

Bobesostot Roregogarordodsos!

(Much more difficult to read than to speak - at least its easy to speak in swedish. If anybody tries it - tell me how you are doing! :))

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  7. StevieO

Rivalen

administration tools etc etc sounds like it's for XP, so that wouldn't work on some other OS's.

StevieO

8. Rivalen

In my XP its the first entry in the Control Panel.

So I dont know where to find that in an other OS, if, as you said, its there at all.

Are there no Local Security Settings, or similar, to find in your OS either?

Best Regards

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I "Local security settings" aren't on xp home either :'(

Alphalutra1

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did anybody tried it and it realy works?

11. pilotart

I tried just encrypting the contents of those two files, next AntiVir Update replaced them with fresh copies and instructed me to ReBoot to repair AntiVir.

12. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

This worked better in the old versions.
    Now the intelligent updater is happy to send you a new one.

13. StevieO

Encrypting those files won't fool AntiVir as it won't recognise them, and therefore Will reinstall them on an update thinking they are missing/corrupt.

If you replace the original 2 AV files by creating the 2 dummy files like i suggested, then AV shouldn't realise that anything is wrong or missing, and therefore the trick should work !

StevieO

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why not to save as avnotify.exe rather than first save and then rebame? Is there some special raeson?

Should I delete the originals?

Exactly same place? U mean same folder? Does the arrangement of these files matter?

15. StevieO

Hi aigle,

Why to save the .txt file as avnotify then change it to avnotify.exe ? Because i said so lol. No i'm only joking ! Yes sure you can save the Dummy text files as avnotify.exe and avnotify.dll straightaway, Good point. It's just the way i did it at the time without giving it too much thought.

NO do NOT delete the originals, leave them where there are, but Renamed.

Yes put the new Dummy files in Exactly same place same folder as you found the originals.

( Does the arrangement of these files matter? ) If you mean in the folder, then no it doesn't, but all you have to do is go to " View/Arrange files by name " and that should sort them alphabetically for you.

Let me know how it goes

StevieO

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

LOl, I know it was a rather silly question but being a beginner i was just wondering is it a trick? just felt as Mr.Antivir is watching me changing his files and I am trying to deceive him!! lol

Anyhow I did the trick, and will let u know about the result.

17. minacross

minacross Registered Member

it does not work :'( :doubt:
    the updater re-downloaded the file o_O

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

With me too. Same happened. Did u try it urself Stevio.

19. pilotart

A simple Firewall block will do it, but you may still get that "Fix your Firewall" from Avnotify.

The WinXP Pro Security setting that Rivalen posted further up this Thread does a great job and blocks avnotify and firewall warning.

For Windows 2000 Windows XP Home and Windows 2003, Rivalen suggested ProcessGuard - FREE. {LINK here}

Free version blocks; Control Application execution, Protect applications from termination, Protect applications from modification and Protect applications from viewing

Since I have WinXP Pro and Win98 and no intention on installing AntiVir on XP home until avnotify is gone for good,
    I have never tried the above utility.

It does not bother me occasionally on my Win98 {backup system},

but that PopUp on Her Computer would cause me a problem. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  20. StevieO

Hi,

I'm sorry it didn't seem to work for you, don't know why ! Maybe the file sizes get checked on update, and if they don't match they get overwritten ? Would have been nice it had of worked though hey, but it doesn't actually do any harm trying it which is good.

I didn't try it as i'm using BitDefender now.

StevieO

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh, i thought u have tried it!

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Six days ago I again began using AVPE as back-up for DrWeb. The first update of AVPE produced the dreaded notifier pop-up schtuff.

I then blocked notifier with Kerio FW 2.1.5. In the following 5 days of updates to AVPE I have had no more notifier schtuff. Actually, I wouldn't mind very much if AVPE eventually refuses to function while notifier is blocked. That's because I am itching to buy & use F-prot as my back-up, now that it's rumored HB has gone over to Frisk.

I'll post here again if my Kerio-blockade fails to keep doing the job. In other words, *silence* will mean that AVPE is functioning for me, but the notifier isn't.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Using my firewall to block notifier does NOT work. I attach a shot of the pop-up. That's it, I suppose -- AV-PE is *officially* ad-ware.

Attached Files:

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Depends upon how u define adware but infact I hate this ad. I receive it everyday. It,s something not pleasant to me. AVG and Avast is not doing this. I am now really feeling bad about it. But it is the price of free AV, should accept it.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would call it 'nagware'. It's a shame they have to plague people with that nonsense, because it's otherwise a fine product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.