Antivir 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O Yup, but how much longer are you going to be able to use version 6? Hay it is all up to you folks, but you have to admit their problems with 7, even if it is a BETA, should give you some hesitation.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :gack: :isay: :cautious:

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, not at all, at some point it will leave beta and this is where most users should use it anyway, beta's are for those who accept the risks and want to be part of the development of a program, it should not be installed on a pc you depend on 24/7.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well i guess im a little like you in respect of saying your piece,but i dont think i would hesitate in "upgrading" to 7 when the updater problem is ironed out.The pre release problems do not make me hesitate at all.If it were released and had these problems ,then granted i would think twice.I have many licenses for many avs ,and have used all the free ones in the past too,and at the moment antivir 6 is the most suited to my old system.I hope 7 will stay the same, and from initial trialing the resource issue is very good and i have confidence in its detection abilities together with my surfin habits.The updater problem will be fixed of that i have no doubt..The only things that puts me off at present are what i mentioned earlier about the exiting and the splash screen (which i could probably live with)....all of which could be considered insignificant , but nevertheless important to me.I still however admire its low impact when running , which is probably not important to new computer users , but is my deciding factor at present on choosing it.
    ellsion

4. joter

joter Registered Member

Problems with updates have been solved now. Before 2 hours I think.

Regards
    joter

5. shek

shek Registered Member

just installed the latest build downloaded from free-av. No more update problem in my system (winxp sp2).

currently antivir 7 is my on-access scanner, nod32(IMON only, other modules off) is http scanner. two AVs are working in real time with no confilct.

Regards,
    shek

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

One strange problem with the updater is that it's trying to get updates from ...modem :mad: , when you're on ethernet network connection/isp, on Windows98, and does launch rnaapp, what is ridiculous ; of course you don't get the updates this way, but the program keeps saying it's definitions files are uptodate :( . And yes, it does freeze the computer sometimes too, when you install programs.

On XP, it was working better for me, except for the freeze issue.

BTW, updates (on XP) were fast for me, nothing bad to say.

I did submit FPs about the Heuristic engine 2, I've never received a reply (and they were not fixed till I removed Antivir, few days ago).

When theses few issue are fixed, that's going to be one of the best AV however; I've never tested the 6th version, but this one is very promising :) .

Cheers,
    nicM

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  7. wildman

:cautious: O.k., but I have my doubts. We shall of course over time see if all this pans out.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink: :gack: o_O

8. wildman

:p Well, well what a surprise! No announcement that version 7.0 has been released?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink: :ouch: o_O

9. shek

shek Registered Member

I also submitted a FP for the Heuristic engine 2 yesterday and received a response 20 minutes later.

version 7 should be released this week. but serveral days lateness is not a big deal for me. antivir 7 has already been in a good shape.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  10. ellison64

I also had the update try to use the modem on the very first manual update too (im on dsl and w98 ).I just filled it in an no problems since.I have noticed theres no download speed showing when updating ..can you confirm this?.It is working quite well , though there are a few issues that i personally dont like ,which is lack of close and exit from tray icon or the programe itself.,lack of activate/deactivate mailguard from tray icon,lack of balloon tip informing you that both mailguard and resident guard are enabled/disabled when hovered over tray icon,configuration screen oversized on 800x600 (parts hidden under bottom taskbar) and cannot at present be resized.Those are my concerns.The main one being unable to exit completly all procesess ,short of using taskmanager or 3rd party tool.
    ellison

11. shek

shek Registered Member

when I installed it yesterday, I did the update manually. After that, i scheduled an auto hourly update task, which worked quite well for me (I am on 5mb cable and winxp sp2). and I also noticed that the update process took about 10s to 1 min, depending on the size of the update package and the time period. the update speed did show up on the screen.

In terms of your concerns, if the red umbrella is closed, it means the real time scanner is deactivated. the configuration screen size and the exit problem don't bother me, because my screen solution is 1280*1024 and i always use process explorer to kill the processes i don't want.

my only concern is that i have to let the sched.exe to run on the background. Personally i don't like the auto update, becuase i prefer the background processes as less as possible. therefore, I usually start the update by clicking on the tray icon. But in the version 7, the scheduler has to be run in order to let the update continue.

12. ellison64

Sorry shek...
    I read nicM,s post and eplied to your post by mistake :rolleyes:
    I noticed he uses 98 too so wanted to see if he could confirm the few issues.I dont think you should have to use process explorer to close your antivirus though.Version 6 had an exit and close ,which shut all processes.
    Apologies once again for the cross wires.
    ellison

13. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi ellison64, right, I had this issue (Antivir trying to get the updates from dialup :ouch: , whereas I use ADSL, with Ethernet connection), but in my case, there was nothing I could do, even after several reboots, that was not only the first time; you were lucky. And it is designed to use "current connection", without other options to set it manually.

I'm still hesitating about to reinstall it or not, because I had no uninstaller:( , had to remove it manually..

Cheers,
    nicM

14. ellison64

Im using the beta 7 premium , and the uninstaller or remover is actually in the file setup.exe in the antivir folder.You can either modify or remove.I only got that update dial up screen the first time i clicked manual update.I just filled it with rubbish basically and it hasnt popped up since and everything seems ok.I think there are a few minor bugs yet though ,especially in 98.Download speed of updates not showing ,also when you click update it says current file ,but with no current file shown ...just a - sign.
    ellison

If you are ok with registry , you can also navigate to
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\.....and look for the antivir uninstall string.Copy this and paste it in start /run.
    It is in the setup file for premium 7...
    C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\SETUP.EXE /REMOVE

15. shek

shek Registered Member

of course, it is not for the key processes, like real-time scanner. I will try to stop the services by using administrative tools from windows itself, if the AV doesn't provide the exit option.

16. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Ah, Thanks, I installed the classic one, but I didn't know about the uninstaller in the program's folder (I thought this file was "damaged", when it didn't work from Add/Remove panel), but anyway it's gone now :) .

Another problem I had with Antivir 7 was the slow down, every time you run an installer (exactly the same on 98 and XP, about that), did you experience it?

I've heard there is a new updater since january 16th.

nic

17. shek

shek Registered Member

Just noticed that in the http://www.free-av.com, it says that New version released on 17-1-2006. I am not sure what it means, new build for engine, antivir itself or both?

18. ellison64

I havent really noticed any problems/slowdowns when running an installer , though if its a firewall or such programe i would shut down the av anyway....hence my dislike of the way 7 behaves with processes still in baclground.Also maybe this would depend on user settings?.I just use extension lists for resident guard ( ive done so on all avs ive used) and all files for manual scan. In fairness with guard deactivated i was able to perform a scandisk and defrag , but i still like apps shut completly and to be a user option.
    ellison

19. ellison64

Yes i also do the same.Version 6" exit and close" shut ALL processes down , though.I think that option should have been kept for version 7.Its annoying (to me anyway) knowing that processes are still "loaded",regardless of whether they are doing anything.If they are not doing anything then why not just give the option to exit and close?.I just feel theres a possibility of problems/conflicts with other apps if those procesess are always running.
    ellison

20. khazars

khazars Registered Member

I've just installed anti vir 7 personal edition but the anti vir guard is not working. Is it something I have did or is it not available in beta?

21. Its best to stick to Antivir 6 for a while.
    The interface is better (smaller) and no update problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.