Antivir 7 / w98 nightmares

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PierreF, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

My system had several fatal errors the past months due to Antivir 7 and now it wouldnt start this morning.
    So you are warned when you have Antivir 7 on your W98 machine.
    Dont update it, change to another AV while your pc is running.
    It took me a few hours to install the pc again.
    No more Antir for me....

2. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

If you'll take a look at the Avira/AntiVir support site, you will see clearly that AntiVir 7 is not working well with any OS. I have found, it hates XP as well -- no matter how it is tweaked. The sound solution is to buy a very good AV app -- not AntiVir/Avira. They're having too many problems with this product.

Dave

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

There does appear to be a lot more problems with non-NT systems with the new AntiVir.

So, at the present time, there may well be better AV choices than AntiVir 7 on Win 98/Me systems.

However, a number of AV vendors, as have Microsoft, are dropping support for Win 98 so your choices in the future may be more limited.
    Too much of a generalisation. No doubt you have had problems with your computer, but on my XP system it has worked flawlessly from day 1. Apart from one minor problem in obtaining a program update on dial-up, I have been very pleased with this AV.

4. PierreF

It used to be good, but something is very wrong with it.
    I had to reinstall my pc this morning.
    It seems to work well with XP but not on W98.
    After so many months it should work well or they should rerelease Antivir6 for windows 98 users.

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

No, no problems with my PC prior to the AntiVir 7 install. Here's my guess: There are so many "dialects" of the various XP builds, with slightly different files to prevent software piracy, that one AV app works fine on one system, and flakes out on another. But, AntiVir/Avira is indeed having more problems with XP machines than even Avira/AntiVir coders would prefer.

Dave

6. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Sorry to mention that, but it's more likely your system is ****ed. They have about 20 million users, and compared to that the handful of posters in their forum which do have problems, is next to nothing. What version are you using anyway?

7. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Click {here} to link into page two of one thread on the subject in the AntiVir Support Forum.

copy from above site:
    I have had zero problems with my WinXP system and just the "GPF after opening and then closing AntiVir Console" on Win98.

Another Thread {here} about "Win 98 SE & NO PROBLEMS with AV 7"

Greatest risk would seem to involve an Update with AVIRA Console open, which may result in a BSOD Fatal Crash and no Guard protection on next boot.

8. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

And the the problems began a few days ago for my 98 SE machine!

Dave

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Sorry to hear of your problems. I run XP Home and it runs flawlessly as BlackCat says. I think 98 is done.

I would suggest you look for a good deal on XP - good deals preVista release. I am sure they are coming. Just a thought. ;)

10. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Sorry, I do believe that 98 WILL NEVER BE IN the Win 3.X category. There is only so much cross-platformimg that can be done with an AV app and so many operating systems now in existence, and it was unfair of me to place all the blame of Avira/AntiVir. These people do their best to keep customers up and running. But a fact is, not all XP systems will support their product, which is a Microsoft issue, and not an Avira issue. As I stated above, there are so many "dialects" of each XP build to prevent sofware piracy, and one slight change in one file to support another library file, could mean the difference between AV 7 installing well and running well on an XP machine, or not.

Dave

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Not all systems are the same.

The unique combination of software/hardware on different systems means that there may be problems with any software installed on any computer.

So although IME, Avira should not give you any problems on an XP box, you have to trial it on your own computer for compatibility.

12. PierreF

I know they are not evil at Antivir, but this isnt good enough.
    Its good to have a prominent softwaremaker in Europe but when someone offers a software solution you expect it to work, not harm your pc.
    The explanation you gave sound valid but there is no big red sign at the download area.
    Maybe there is a market for a w98 only av wich works 100%.
    In the meantime i use AVG, i looked at nice XP machines but expect that it will be over for XP very fast next year. As I can only spend my money once, it looks like it is best to wait for a Vista machine or switch to Apple or Linux.
    If it is so hard to make a good av for w98/xp they should be more honest about it.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I wish posters wouldnt blame the operating system for the AV softwares fault.Most 98 users KNOW thier operating system is old to say the least however ,antivir IS supposed to be compatable with 98 and it is most clearly not.Even users that say it works fine usually have to practise a fine art not to crash it.That in my opinion is not how a security app should behave ,and it would be foolish to say otherwise (imo).It wasnt always that way either.It wasnt my operating system that changed it was antivir that changed (in my case anyway) ,and that change has caused all sorts of problems ,not only with my operating system but with other (usually stable) apps.Its becoming a joke when antivir is running okish and the next update causes bsods.This has been happening for months ..not weeks or days.As far as i know avira are no near solving the problem than they were months ago (other than just switching back to version 6.....ok no heuristics 2 but at least it worked for 98 users ,but i guess that just might be a pride issue for them).Personally i wouldnt advise any 98 user to use it ,as it is right now,unless you can put up with the crashing ,pussyfooting around with it so that it might not crash itself or another app,and the general lottery on what the new update is going to do with your system.Im fed up with avira blaming the inadequacies of the operating systen when it is clearly an antivir problem.I can run the latest version of outpost,i can run kav,i can run AVG ,i can run avast ,i can run just about any app that you can think of....except the current incarnation of antivir.Im sorry ,but my operating system is fine..its avira antivir that has the problem.
    ellison

14. PierreF

Thank you Ellison, i couldn`t have said it better.
    Besides why blame a car if the seatbealts don`t fit ?
    What solution Antivir will come with i dont really care anymore.
    If i get a new pc i dont want Antivir on it too.

15. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

So much animosity, antivir has been the only av besides nod on my pc to work flawlessly from day 1 and constantly be protecting me without having to try and iron up some problem. Some weird things may occur, but no software is perfect and everything has bugs that need to be ironed out. Seeing how antivir has progressed so quickly and is constantly innovating their product, I don't see reason to complaing with bugs every now and then.

Alphalutra1

16. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Just for information that AntiVir 7 working on my ancient laptop with Windows 98 SP2 as great as on my desktop with XP SP2.

I had problems with AntiVir 6 in the past but AntiVir 7 working just great.

17. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I've been running antivir 7 on my windows me computer for a couple of weeks. It's working flawlessly. I haven't experienced the update problems that so many have problems with either. I do hate the nag screen that takes you to aviras website when the update is in progress. I should mention that I'm running the free version.

Computers are strange. I've trialed at one time about every antivirus out there. Kav, Panda,Nod32, Mcaffee, F-secure, avast, dr web, f-prot, avg, Bitdefender, and the list goes on and on. All on a windows me computer with only 192 mb of ramm.

Here's where the strange part comes in. The one antivirus that my computer will not run is "AVG". o_O AVG causes huge cpu spikes, and brought my computer to its knees. The best running antiviruses on my particular setup is.

#1. F-Prot

#2. Kav 5.0

I guess I said all that to say this. Every computer is different. What one computer likes..another will hate. I'm no technical guru by any means. This is just my opinion.

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, Mr2cents it is strange that way. My Compaq was not running with worth a darn with factory installed ME on it. Freeze ups. Crashes. All manor of problems for almost two years. I had bought it on the cheap due to near release of XP. :mad: :'(

Did some research and ran a program from MS website that said my PC had the ability to handle XP upgrade. Having read maybe here at the Wlders that upgrade package was not a good idea that buying retail box and loading full program was the best way. I did it. Only thing I had to do was get a driver update from Compaq and decided to add additional ram card and things were never better on my machine.

One can only be left with one thought ME was not a good OS imho.

98 machine will not likely handle XP so the only choice is to move up to XP factory machine or wait on Vista released machines. What more can the average user do? :doubt:

Then many of these software issues will go away at least for me it did.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im glad many of you are having no problems with antivir.In the threads regarding 98 problems at antivir forum ,many of avira staff are also having recreated problems especially if firefox is used and also zonealarm ,when trying to recreate the crashes and GPFs.Ive found that antivir interfered with many apps on 98 in cluding kerio 2.15 ,port explorer,becky mail programe (which was confirmed by avira staff though the blame seemed to be apportioned to becky rather than antivir even though it works with every other av ive ever used),and quite a few others too.I guess it does depend what software and possibly hardware you are using.Im sure if i just run antivir and possibly IE 5.5 upwards and little or no other software ,then i too wouldnt get any problems.Many of the converts admit that to get it to run they have to click or not click this or that button ,when the gui is opened or closed ...not to get a crash.If youve had antivir for a few weeks on 98 with no crashes ,then its either very good luck ,not many apps installed ,or possibly you havent clicked the right combination of buttons yet.Id like to hear your posts a few months down the line(if the problems havent been fixed by then)
    ellison

20. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Just to report that as of todays Update, all of the GPF issues have been solved for my very old Win98 System.

This Win98 was installed to replace Win95 too soon after release in 1998 and has never been reloaded!

21. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Thank you for the good news!

Dave
    Win 98 LIVES 4EVER JUST LIKE ELVIS!

22. PierreF

I have heard this before, hope it will work for you.
    But dont be surprised if the errors return and your pc crashes.
    W98 works better with AVG and when you have more memory you can try Avast or a good paid AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.