Antitrojan database

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by chaos16, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Which antitrojan has the biggest database for removing trojan.

for example KAV has the biggest antivirus database which antitrojan has the biggest databaseo_O and the best for removing

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The absolute size of an AT database, as with AV's, cannot really be compared between different programs.

This is because some ATs for example, have a unique signature for every variant of a trojan. So if there are 50 variants then that will mean 50 individual signatures. However, some other ATs use just the one signature that detects all 50 variants. So in this case there is only 1 signature.

Therefore, overall some AT programs count only unique trojans while others count variants of the same trojan.

In addition the size of the database may not solely be a count of trojans. Most ATs now include spyware/adware/riskware in their total count.

In fact more important than the total size, is the change in the database over time, from year to year.

So I presume that the Big 5 scanners, A2, BOClean, Ewido, TDS-3 and TrojanHunter, being apparently the best trojan detectors, have shown the biggest increase in their databases over the last year compared to other AT programs.

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Really? I thought Bit Defender claimed to have the most with something like 110,000. It also runs rather slowly. I kind of like the concept of weeding out definitions that do not pose a threat to the modern computer.

Kaspersky runs fast enough. I've read some of his articles. I would not be surprised if KAV had the most defs. He strikes me as, well, an enthusiast. I bet he calls it his "collection" and has rare specimens framed.

-HandsOff

4. Blackcat

GDATA's AVK or eXtendia's AVK Pro probably have the biggest databases as they are double-engined AV's.

Although there will obviously be some overlap in definitions, the BitDefender/KAV or RAV/KAV combinations will produce very large databases.

But as mentioned above, size does not always matter :D ;)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Here is review albeit from last year but which still has some very useful info' about signature databases.
    http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/database-currency-test.htm

The quality of signatures is probably more important than the quantity as is the ability to delete the offending malware.

I know of no recent independent "head to head" tests in the Anti-Trojan area unfortunately.

Also I would add that no current AV or AT offers anywhere near a total solution. That is why Wilderssecurity recommends the layered approach to security.

HTH Pilli :)

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

From the link above: "Finally, the two new comers a2 and Ewido appear to be off to a flying start with their databases. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum. We'll know the answer when we do our next series of reviews."

As we now have seen, both a2 and Ewido have the momentum to increase databases close to sky high.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. Blackcat

However, to prove that size is not everything, using the 3 AT's I have as examples;

At the present time;

1. BOClean has 5885 unique trojans but a count of 32,584 for trojans, worms, rootkits, adware, spyware, keyloggers, "dialers" and other malware in total, including all variants.

2. Ewido has 103,029 threats in its database and these include hijackers, spyware, worms, dialers, trojans and keyloggers.

3. A-Squared has 60992 trojans, 27824 Dialers, 3874 Worms, 1837 Spyware for a total of 94,527 signatures.

So overall it is very difficult to compare different AT's solely on the total database size of each one.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, i also remember Kevin McAleavey saying that he was almost sorry not to have a higher count (that's the beauty of BOClean, because it's a memory-scanner, they need only one signature for a malware), because people will always think that the one with the highest count is the best.

He also said that if they would count in the same way as some do, they would likely have around 230000 signatures, i realize that he's of course a little "optimistic", but it does put things into a different perspective. :)

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I have all of the major ATs, which I have purchased over time for one reason or another.

I would say all of them are comparable in detecting trojans. As it turns out, Kaspersky is darn good in finding them also. If I was to choose one product that I most reply on to ferret out the worst of the nasties, I would say it was TDS-3. It's scanning/detectoin logic is very comprehensive and deep. But I do not rely solely on TDS-3. I usually have Ewido running in real-time (TDS-3 Execution conflicts with too many of my other resident programs), and I use other protection software. TDS-3 is my on-demand backup scan that I trust most, and usually run first, if I suspect something might be amiss.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.