Antispyware?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by J-Mac, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

I currently have three licenses for NOD32 and run it on my three home PCs, using Blackspear's Extra settings. I am looking for a new antispyware, however, as my licenses for Counterspy are soon to expire and I have not had great success with Counterspy.

I thought I would come here and ask other users' recommendations of antispyware applications. I thought I would be looking for another stand-alone product since I have no intention to stop using NOD32 as my AV.

And now I see that there is a beta for Eset Smart Security -- I had no idea that they had something like this. I have a few questions:
    • I imagine I would have to uninstall my licensed NOD32 from my PC before installing the ESS beta. Is the AV in ESS the same as my current NOD32 2.7?

• Is an antispyware included in ESS? I see from the posts that a firewall and antispam are included, but I did not see antispyware mentioned specifically.

• I have no idea when Eset plans to release ESS officially, but does anyone know how one would upgrade from NOD32 2.7 to ESS? Would it be a brand new purchase? Or will there be some sort of upgrade available for current NOD32 users?

I appreciate any replies!

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well, I know there is anti-spyware protection in the regular Nod32 and will be in ESS, but if you choose to use Nod32 antivirus and not the suite, you should get Superantispyware Pro for an added layer of real-time antispyware protection it is used by many here at wilders and I think you'll like it also, you can thank me later.:D

3. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Agreed. I Use SAS too and it works very well. Not that it ever finds anything to clean on my system... :rolleyes:

4. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

I know that NOD32 has the "ThreatSense" Engine, which effectively acts like an antispyware, but Eset doesn't classify it as an antispyware. Or at least most everything I read from Eset seems to specifically avoid calling NOD32 an antispyware for some reason. Is it pretty much considered a full-fledged antispyware as well as antivirus?

Thanks.

5. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

OK -- My curiousity is getting the best of me, so I have to ask: NOD32 won.....what? :)

6. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Hmmm...

SAS has no discount at all for multiple licenses. That pretty much counts it out for now. I purchase for all three of my machines. :(

7. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I have spent the last few weeks deliberating between using NOD and Kaspersky... My system restore is like a broken record... "KAV 7 installed... KAV 7 uninstalled... NOD32 installed... NOD32 uninstalled...".

I have a license for both, and I found it very hard to decide between the two. NOD won for reasons that should not be discussed in this thread :p or any other on Wilders ;)

8. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

You are actually incorrect - we do offer discounts for multiple licenses - you can add an extra license for only $9.95 at the time of purchase. :)

9. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

OK -- understood, all too well!

I switched from KAV6 to NOD32 last year, so I know what you mean.

10. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Really? Just to check, before I posted that I placed a copy in the cart and then changed the quantity to 3. Price went from 29.95 to 89.85, so I drew my reply from that.

I hadn't looked for any specials on the site, as I felt that if there were any they would naturally be reflected in the shopping cart.

Sorry!

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The specials are directly above the shopping cart on the shopping cart page under "purchase suggestions" :)

Just look above and you can click "add to cart" to add them :)

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello J-Mac . You weren't answered all questions so I decided I could post ...

No , the new Eset Smart Security contains newer engine - NOD32 v3 , which is supposed to be more efficent at removing malware , faster when scanning and better as a whole .

Both NOD32 v2 and ESS include anti-spyware protection
    AMON protections.PNG .

But unlikely the dedicated anti-spyware applications , ESET products detect such malware via signatures and heuristics , not a special engine for this . And here's where the power in NOD lies .

I personally use nothing but NOD32 only on my computers to stay protected. Just like you two or three years ago I used an AV and three or more AS applications + firewall but I see no necessity in this . I have chosen ESET to protect me so I trust the main protection more than other things.

ESET Smart Security is a new product (anti-malware , anti-spam and firewall) - all in one protection . ESET will keep NOD32 which will have new v3 and will again protect again all kind of threats. All current clients of NOD will upgrade for free to the new NOD32 v3 . Unofficial is that you may have to pay some extra dollars to get ESS (but if this is true as a client you'll get it with the best price) ;)

13. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Hm I don't quite follow this reasoning. If you think you need SAS with Nod32 (upcomming v3), then you should also think that it is necessary in conjunction with ESS, as they will have the same anti-malware engine as far as I understand it. The only think ESS adds is firewall and anti spam.

Nevertheless, I think current AV programs, including Nod, are quite good in detecting (don't know about removing actually) spyware. For myself I decided I don't need an additional program (doesn't matter if I use Norton, Kaspersky or Eset ...).

14. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

My understanding has always been that NOD32 / ESS detects what we might classify as 'serious spyware'. As a 'belt and braces' approach I also use Javacool SpywareBlaster, free and available here:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SB effectively 'inoculates' IE and Firefox against spyware of all kinds. It's a not a real time scanner - it just blocks it from downloading. And...use Lavasoft AdAware to scan, also free and here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php?PHPSESSID=01df79217e7c2ae69f0998b4591dba76

15. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Your right Abeltje, SAS Pro could be used for the antivirus and the suite, my mistake.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

AVG Free anti-spyware isnt bad either for on demand scans.

17. DGMurdockIII

DGMurdockIII Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.