Antispyware dinosaurs?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firebytes, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Nonsense, there are millions of exploits outthere that you are not aware of and be aware that your consciousness can´t be aware of the massive amounts of intrusion possibilities. Expand your mind and leave your narrow-mindness....

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I would keep Spybot. I do, it's not just a scanner as you know. I trust it.
    As a scanner, certainly it's not the best, but it is good imo, and you can choose to use only on demand or use TeaTimer that watches some important places.

I add A-Squared, SAS and AVG AS. There's bound to be more, but i trust these. Be aware that latest A-Squared runs a service that is always there, even the freeware version. There are some discussions about it.

I scan every 1/2 months, when i feel like it. I end up spending more time on Spybot because it gives plenty of info. There are other tools from the same place.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I don't get it. You are saying that if I eliminate all the infection/exploitation vectors by properly using my computer, that I am less safe then someone who uses a trillion security apps, and has no clue in how to operate them?

There are not massive amounts of intrustion possibilities, I can probably count them on my fingers and toes. If you eliminate all the remote attacks (by using a properly configured firewall/packet filter), then the rest is really up to the user infecting themselves, not the magical elves of the internet looking to do harm unto you and your computer.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

4. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Lol, thats really funny and sweet, but spybot is really weak (related to detection strength), believe me, I tested many many many many software tools especially antispy, antivirus and security apps.

L*o*l, dream further

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You certainly have my invitation to write your own program that is better than Spybot, completly freeware, and accept donations to keep it going ;)
    And create a reputation of not taking crap from others, ie, a trojan found is a signature added, no BS.

Spybot: i trust it.

6. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Can you clarify what you meant by this comment? Were you trying to say that a 'properly configured firewall' will not 'eliminate all the remote attacks'? Henceforth it would be useful to provide your reasoning behind such comments so as to maintain coherent dialogue and ensure everyone understands each others position on the matter at hand.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Alot of hating on Adaware & Spybot, but quite honestly, I've pretty much used/tested them all by now and none of the others I've seen recommended here (paid versions and all) did a better job or found anything that the 2 afformentioned ones didn't in my personal experiences. I don't think ANY of them are very effective. I've seen Windows Defender catch something that SAS had no clue was on my PC.

The bottom line is as long as you just have them on demand (as in not sucking up any resources)... who cares how many you have? Grab a bunch of them, some will find things others won't. The only diff. usually between the paid & free versions are the paid versions have real-time spyware protection (which I find to be a totally unnecessary suckage of resources). An on demand scan once in a blue moon is sufficient enough IMO.

I've had enough problems with AVG Anti-Spyware Free to prompt me to remove it from my puter. Have never had a problem with SAS... but have also never had it find 1 single thing either besides a tracking cookie (ala Adware). So I can't say it's any more effective.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

As for some programs being less "effective" than others, that may be true, but then the bottom line is whether you ever come across something bad and if the program catches it or not. Weak programs can appear to work as well as "stronger" programs in that situation. As for being aware of all of the possible ways that you can get infected, you are taking the approach that a proactive and all encompassing mindset is needed to thwart all possible avenues of infection to your system. While it would be nice to anticipate and be all knowing in the malware field, many users do not have the time nor the inclination to even contemplate that field of expertise. The only ultimate method of being 100% immune from malware is the "OFF" switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.