Antispam with IMAP and Outlook - classifies but doesn't move

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JimpsEd, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimpsEd

JimpsEd Registered Member

Hi all,

I like the antispam features of ESET SS. However, with IMAP folders all that happens it the messages are marked as spam and tagged, but they are not moved to the Junk Mail folder (or even if I specify a named folder to move them into), either in the IMAP account or in local folders.

Am I missing something?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you use Outlook Express or MS Outlook? Moving messages should work fine with MS Outlook, but I can test it myself if you're having a problem with this.

3. JimpsEd

I am using MS Outlook 2007

Thanks,

4. JimpsEd

Strange, I still cannot get it working. It works fine for POP3, just not my mail that comes in via IMAP. But then it shouldn't matter, as spam checking is done once the message is downloaded into Outlook, right?

5. Marcos

There are some problems moving messages classified as spam to a separate folder when IMAP is used. We'll investigate it further.

6. JimpsEd

Glad to know you are on the ball :)

7. JimpsEd

Any fix for this?

8. Marcos

Not yet. Please take into account that it's summer holidays and some people also need to take rest and have some vacation with their families. As I said, we would look into the issue and if there's actually a problem, we'll fix it sooner or later in one of the next versions.

9. etomilin

etomilin Registered Member

Still no fix?
    I'm trying to configure ESS so that it will put spam messages in specified (non-default) spam folder in Outlook 2007. This works fine only for POP-accounts. For IMAP-accounts ESS creates specified spam folder, but moves spam to default Junk E-mail folder regardless of the settings.

10. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I'm having similar problems with the ESS spam filter and IMAP in Outlook 2007. In addition to junk mail not being moved to the junk folder, I find that Outlook rules do not behave properly when the ESS spam filter is enabled. For example, a rule that moves mail from a certain sender to a particular folder will often fail to delete the original message from the Inbox.

My solution, until ESET fixes these problems, is to disable the ESS spam filter. In its place, I use open-source SpamBayes 1.1a4, which works perfectly with ESS, Outlook 2007, IMAP and Outlook rules. You can download the setup (.exe) program here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61702&package_id=58141&release_id=518556

11. etomilin

etomilin Registered Member

Hey, I've moved to ESS4 and the problem is still there. I mean the problem with IMAP and cutom spam folder:

12. Exposed_Bone

Exposed_Bone Registered Member

I can also confirm this problem. :doubt:

13. ronkass

ronkass Registered Member

I also have this problem.
    Spam messages, either when detected automatically or manually classified as spam, are marked as [spam] but move nowhere.
    This thread started August 5th, 2008 (soon a year ago), and no fix.
    What is going on? Any chance of having this product maintained and bugs fixed?

14. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I am also still frustrated by this problem. I continue to use the solution (SpamBayes) I mentioned a year ago, but it would be preferable if ESET corrected the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.