Antispam Protection - Error Writing Antispam Counters

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Somersett, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somersett

Somersett Registered Member

I have only just purchased and installed Eset Smart Security and from the outset I have been seeing the following message in my Events Log on a regular ( daily ) basis.

"Antispam Protection - Error Writing Antispam Counters."

In addition, I am experiencing problems with e-mails being marked as Spam. The problem is not with incoming e-mails from people on my Whitelist. It happens when I open the said e-mails and click on the 'Reply To Sender' button. When I save them, I receive the message 'Saved To Draft Folder' but when I go to the said folder there is no sign of them as they are being transferred to the 'Junk Mail' Folder and marked as 'Spam' instead. I fail to understand how a message that is not marked as 'Spam' when it is received is suddenly marked as such and transferred to the Junk Mail folder when I select the Reply to Sender option.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem?

2. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Make sure you're running the latest version of the software.

Did you try by unintalling ESS and reinstalling?

If the problem persists, I'd suggest open a ticket with the support department in your country and include a SysInspector log for analysis.

3. Somersett

Thank you for your response.

I am running the latest edition of the software.

I contacted Support a few days ago and submitted a SysInspector log for analysis. I received a reply to the effect that there are several known issues with the programme which are being addressed. They suggested a temporary workaround but it only succeeds in creating a slightly different version of the same problem.

4. terradon

terradon Registered Member

FWIW I show the same error recorded many times per day along with several popups each day. I've uninstalled and re-installed the latest 64 bit version(4.2.67.10) with no change. :(

5. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Has there been any progress on this?

I have noticed this annoying bug for well over a year now. It was present for quite a while before I posted a thread about it here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=270309

I submitted a ticket to ESET but they were in complete denial about and said they hadn't encountered to issue. That was puzzling as it has been easy to re-produce on a virtual machine.

The issue seems to be related to user permissions. I frequently see the error when switching between admin and standard user profiles, as well as logging off admin and onto a standard account.

Surely ESET can fix this??

I'm using 4.2.71.2 but the issue has been present for long before this build.

6. tony_m

7. nickster_uk

Thanks for the reply but to be honest, i'm not overly keen on using a tool which can cause serious harm to my computer.

However, i've recently performed a fresh installation of Windows and as the problem is still present, that should go some way to nullify the need to use the uninstall tool.

I'm amazed ESET haven't been able to resolve this, as I mentioned in a previous post, it's been easy to reproduce.

8. Somersett

Six months on and I am still experiencing the issue on my computer on a regular basis. I have also noticed that it frequently happens when switching between Admin and Standard User Profiles and when logging off my Admin Account and onto my Standard User Account.

I am using Eset 4.2.71.2 and it was installed via my Admin Account.

9. tony_m

Hi,

Ok, so I've been trying to replicate the issue here in my environment, however without any success. I created two accounts, one as admin and the other as standard user.

On a clean Win 7 x64, as an admin I've installed:

-outlook 2010
    -ess v4.2.71

I've created a test email account and start getting some messages. I've classified some email as spam, then logged as standard user. No problems so far, I've also added a domain to the blacklist in ESS and that worked fine when I switched to the admin account. I restarted the computer several times, switched between the accounts and didn't get any errors.

If you could PM me with step-by-step instructions on how to replicate this, I'll be glad to test it here.

Thank you.

10. Somersett

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium ( Service Pack Two ) with Eset Smart Security 4.2.71.2 and Windows Mail.

I have only just established that, in my case, it happens when switching between Admin and Standard User Accounts if there is no Local Area Network Connection at the time ( LAN Disabled.)

Log onto Administrator Account. Select 'Manage Network Connections' and then select 'Disable.' Log Off and then Log On to Standard User Account. Check Events Log as sometimes the pop up warning ( Antispam Protection - Error Writing Antispam Counters ) does not appear.

The issue of E-Mails being marked as Spam was resolved some time ago.

11. tony_m

I was able to reproduce the issue, thank you. I've notified development about this.

12. Somersett

My pleasure. Glad to have been able to assist.

13. nickster_uk

Thanks...

Is there any news on a fix please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.