antimalware free software that really works good (not hips)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simisg, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

taken a little out of context, i was referring to his belief of it being a 99% detector.

but in a way, yeah... maybe not very poor, but still poor.

here is the report:

DEC 2009

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/12/av-testorg_releases_real-world.php

Avira was the only suite tested to have many FP's during detection, maybe this is the reason why they get 99% on the on-demand tests?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. guest

guest Guest

I have been testing Threatfire agains the newest files from malwaredomainlist arround 12 files, Threatfire only block 2 of them and after this I made a scan with avira and detected 15 trojans.

Edit: on win7 x64 will all the updates, Threatfire latest version

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for this test guest:thumb: and for those that still believe in threatfire so they think twice when they say that threatfire is all they need to stay protected:D i also tested it and fail i dont know why some youtube people say the oposite:D

4. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

bring CyberHawk back.....

i dont care if they say, it IS Cyberhawk or its the same people developing threatfire as they did CyberHawk,

i wont use PcTools, no thank you...

also, CyberHawk was just soooo much cooler. :D

anybody else miss it?

cyberhawk.jpg

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

PCTools destroyed Cyberhawks good name, imho. Threatfire, has never been as good, my opinion, yes, but my opinion nonetheless. It's turned into a slow as molasses mess.

6. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I would rather pay for Mamutu than use Threatfire, I have never liked it. I'm with PC Gamer- bring back CyberHawk, forget Symantec PC Tools.

7. simisg

simisg Registered Member

everyone say anything wants.... threatfire 4.7 stops all the threats in level 4 of behavior protection trust me

8. guest

guest Guest

I have tested it at lvl4 and only stoped 2 of 12. Try again a get some samples from malwaredomainlist.

9. simisg

simisg Registered Member

my samples are from malwaredomain and malwareurl and viruses collection......
    stops everything set it in level 4

10. guest

guest Guest

Ok, but IMO the protection offered is very low maybe is bcs I tested it on x64

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, ThreatFire at level 4 will warn on every attempt to change something in C:\Windows, C:\Program Files , so you problably tested a lot of PUA's, fake AV's (choose install from your browsr, I guess).

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

threatfire maybe very smart at level 4 or 5 but not powerfull enough to stop nasty stuff such the braviax which bypassed threatfire at level 4 in my test:D

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Nice Avatar :thumb:

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You're right that it should add/detect braviax. But given that it is a rogue application, threatfire might miss this.

But if braviax really does disable other AV programs from functioning, and is difficult to delete, should be added. This is an interesting read.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks kees:)

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

mbam and prevx do the job well againts braviax;)

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is exactly the job of any behabiour blocker to watch any malicious actions and prevent damage

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

A-Squared free is kinda good imo :D

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems you tested a lot of rogue. TF can,t be so bad in testing. However rouge applications are not supposed to be detected by a behavior blocker.

20. Saraceno

aigle is right, and rogue applications seems to be all the 'go' these days.

Most people who see that 'flam'e near their clock would know they already have threatfire installed protecting their pc.

Common sense tells me they wouldn't go looking for 'win defender champion destroyer 2010', as they already would have read up about threatfire and knows what role it does.

Now lets just say this 'hypothetical user', doesn't know threatfire is installed or what it does. This scenario is usually because their son, for example, installed all the necessary security applications. They wouldn't install anything as they'd say to themselves, 'my son looks after my pc - my pc is fine'.

So the only people these applications are really targeting, are people who don't have any AV running. They're searching for a new application and they're convinced by what they read. The flashy graphics, the convincing spiel.

These are the people that get stung by rogues, and then have a computer repairman, or a family member install avast, norton, and say, 'don't go trying to install anything again, ok chief?'

So testing threatfire against rogue applications, that are geared to lighten your wallet and fool your common sense, isn't what threatfire is intended for.

Edit - My half-baked analogy thrown in:

Someone with new car drives past used-car salesman on the side of the road with a card held-up 'buy this used station-wagon'...
    'No thanks' the driver thinks to herself, 'I got my new car, I'm fine - it has an engine immobilizer, side and front air bags, traction control, magnetic ride control etc'.

Next person drives past, unsure of what model car they're driving. 'Does it have an engine, or is this thing air-powered', they think to themselves.
    Used-car salesman waves this person down, 'have I got the deal for you, this station-wagon is the best thing since man invented the wheel'
    'So it's better than what I have, I really need this?' the driver asks.
    'You sure do champ, it will protect you like no other vehicle on the road!'
    Driver hands over the cash, receives the keys, heads off down the road until he reaches a bend. Station-wagon goes straight through the bend and into a lake.
    :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the best bet is if you have threatfire or any behabiour blocker couple with a solid antivirus like nod or prevx and he or she is set to go;)

22. Saraceno

What I'm getting at, we're criticizing products that aren't picking up all these rogue applications, but if you have some common sense, than these applications 'for example, threatfire, mamutu, or even your standard AV such as Dr Web etc' will do fine.

But the applications that do detect every rogue application in town, it's impressive for novice users who have no computer/internet experience, I say, it's the first thing I'll install on grandma's machine or my friend who is slow, but ask yourself, does it have any benefit to you (you, the person blinking at the screen with some common sense)?

I mean, you honestly install new applications that are unheard of and claim to be the greatest malware destroyers of all time?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  23. Saraceno

jmonge, in case you're wondering, the questions aren't directed at you. Just general questions. :)

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know:)

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is very hard this days for novises not to get infected:) i clean a computer the other day with a s-quare onboardo_O :D i recomended it to a friendand after a week she call me and brogh the pc when plug it tons of malware including 2 rootkits:D i scan and clean up the infections with appranger;) i put appranger on and already a week and they are happy with it:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.